Author Topic: LaCrosse Wireless Internet Gateway Model GW1000U ERF-100  (Read 139310 times)

Offline flamand

Re: LaCrosse Wireless Internet Gateway Model GW1000U ERF-100
« Reply #425 on: November 09, 2014, 07:19:24 PM »
Looking at the DHCP client list for my router, the gateway always keeps its ip address no matter what the Advanced Gateway Setup uses. I suppose that's normal. What is odd that a random device "LaCrosse_Weather_Gateway" shows up, sometimes with its own ip address. When it does that the mac address is always different from the gateway by 1 character at the end. Other times it simply renames another device on the network. (The other device continues to function fine.)

Your Gateway is simply grabbing new IP addresses from your DHCP server (usually your firewall/router/WiFi Access Point).  It is OK for the Gateway address to shift around, as long as it can find your SkySpy PC on your LAN.  The Gateway initiates all network conversations and the SkySpy PC simply replies back to the sender's address.

The thing that could be messing you up is if your SkySpy PC has a DHCP-assigned address.  Is your current IP address for your SkySpy PC the same as the one you entered into your Gateway? 

Your PC's address may shift around when your "DHCP lease" expires, when you reset your router and for other reasons. Normally this is not a problem, but if another device on your LAN expects your PC to be at a certain address - and it is not - then bad things will happen.  The Gateway won't be able to find your PC and send it packets.

So, to cut down the crazyness factor, you may need to use a static IP address on your PC. 

Most routers allow you to set up a block of static IP addresses that the built in DHCP server will avoid.  Conversely, some routers allow you to set up the range of DHCP addresses; The remaining ones are for use with static assignments. 

You put things like printers, web servers, PCs and other network appliances in the router's static address range with fixed addresses.

I use static IP addresses for all of my computers here at my house.  I only use DHCP for smartphones and my Gateway module.

I've always used static ips on my home network as well so there's no problem there.

I'm still not seeing any data going through SkySpy. If the gateway is set to use my pc as the proxy, the red light flashes 3 times over and over again. If the gateway is set to no proxy, then the LaCrosse website updates properly.

I've just moved where the gateway connects to the network and gave it a new ethernet cable.

I wish I could figure this out! :)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 07:30:41 PM by flamand »

Offline kj5fa

« Reply #426 on: November 09, 2014, 09:43:52 PM »
I am new to this and WAY over my head, but I seem to have the same issue as flamand. When I change the IP address to point to my SkySpy computer, the Internet icon goes away and the reporting stops going to the LacrosseAlert page and is never seen by Sky Spy Monitor.
I used the latest version of SkySpyInstaller posted in this thread. I am running Win7.
Do I need to install mySQL if using the embedded database?

Offline flamand

« Reply #427 on: November 09, 2014, 10:30:35 PM »
I am new to this and WAY over my head, but I seem to have the same issue as flamand. When I change the IP address to point to my SkySpy computer, the Internet icon goes away and the reporting stops going to the LacrosseAlert page and is never seen by Sky Spy Monitor.
I used the latest version of SkySpyInstaller posted in this thread. I am running Win7.
Do I need to install mySQL if using the embedded database?

You don't need to install mySQL. Just always leaved the "use embedded mysql" box checked.

Not that that helps our problem any ;)

Offline flamand

« Reply #428 on: November 12, 2014, 09:16:05 PM »
I'm still trying to figure out why no data is going to skyspy. Could anyone who has it working tell me whether you get data pinging a gateway's original ip address while it's going through a proxy? I mean, if GAS has the gateway (192.168.1.111) using the skyspy pc as proxy (192.168.1.222), what happens when you ping 192.168.1.111?

Offline keckec

« Reply #429 on: November 12, 2014, 10:25:21 PM »
I'm still trying to figure out why no data is going to skyspy. Could anyone who has it working tell me whether you get data pinging a gateway's original ip address while it's going through a proxy? I mean, if GAS has the gateway (192.168.1.111) using the skyspy pc as proxy (192.168.1.222), what happens when you ping 192.168.1.111?

I have my gateway set to use a proxy and can ping it from other machines on my home network. The gateway also has a web server listening on port 80, so you should be able to point a browser to its IP address and see some gateway info. That may not prove much though, since the problem is likely going the other way -- from the GW to the skyspy machine. If you have a firewall on your skyspy machine it's probably only blocking incoming connections. I don't use Windows so I doubt I'll be much help with firewall issues.

If you have another computer on your local network you could try connecting from it to the skyspy machine using telnet. Use whatever the skyspy machine's IP address is and whatever port skyspy is listening on.

Offline flamand

« Reply #430 on: November 13, 2014, 12:45:16 AM »
I have my gateway set to use a proxy and can ping it from other machines on my home network. The gateway also has a web server listening on port 80, so you should be able to point a browser to its IP address and see some gateway info. That may not prove much though, since the problem is likely going the other way -- from the GW to the skyspy machine. If you have a firewall on your skyspy machine it's probably only blocking incoming connections. I don't use Windows so I doubt I'll be much help with firewall issues.

If you have another computer on your local network you could try connecting from it to the skyspy machine using telnet. Use whatever the skyspy machine's IP address is and whatever port skyspy is listening on.

When I point my browser to the gateway's ip and the gateway is configured to use the spysky pc as the proxy, the proxy name shows the spysky pc's ip address and port but the proxy ip is empty (0.0.0.0) and the last contact line says "no contact". Is that correct?

Offline keckec

« Reply #431 on: November 13, 2014, 09:12:25 AM »

When I point my browser to the gateway's ip and the gateway is configured to use the spysky pc as the proxy, the proxy name shows the spysky pc's ip address and port but the proxy ip is empty (0.0.0.0) and the last contact line says "no contact". Is that correct?
[/quote]
I don't think so. Mine shows the following:
Code: [Select]
Use Proxy   Yes
Proxy Server Name   192.168.1.10
Proxy Port   80
Proxy Server IP   192.168.1.10
Last contact      7915959800

Offline flamand

« Reply #432 on: November 13, 2014, 09:36:42 PM »
My ERF gateway page is different from keckec's in the previous message in that there is no entry in the line for "proxy server ip". Should that be populated when GAS is set to use a proxy? Would that mean that there's a problem with how GAS is working in my network vs a problem in the skyspy service?

Offline 10ACTony

« Reply #433 on: November 13, 2014, 10:11:16 PM »
My ERF gateway page is different from keckec's in the previous message in that there is no entry in the line for "proxy server ip". Should that be populated when GAS is set to use a proxy? Would that mean that there's a problem with how GAS is working in my network vs a problem in the skyspy service?
Read page 4 of the users guide (readme2.pdf) It has to be populated.
//
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message though a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
//

Offline MtHighVs

« Reply #434 on: November 13, 2014, 11:26:52 PM »
It looks like you might have a Proxy Port problem.
Page 4 of the Readme2.pdf (install guide) talks about setting up the gateway with the GAS and that the port needs to be set to 8000.
I pointed my browser to the gateway's IP and here is what mine shows.

Use Proxy   Yes
Proxy Server Name   192.168.0.44
Proxy Port   8000
Proxy Server IP   192.168.0.44
Last contact   77289091000

Offline flamand

« Reply #435 on: November 13, 2014, 11:40:45 PM »
Read page 4 of the users guide (readme2.pdf) It has to be populated.

Sorry ...I was unclear.

I ran Gateway Advanced Server. The proxyserver field was set to be the spysky pc's ip, using port 8000. Then I clicked the set and reboot boxes and then exited GAS.

I opened a web browser at pointed it to the spysky pc's ip. In the third group of information, at the end I see:

Proxy Server Name   192.168.115
Proxy Port                   8000
Data Server IP           0.0.0.0
Last contact           no contact

Somehow the Data Server IP is not being set and I suspect that's consistent with spysky not receiving any data.

Offline 10ACTony

« Reply #436 on: November 14, 2014, 11:55:22 AM »

Sorry ...I was unclear.

I ran Gateway Advanced Server. The proxyserver field was set to be the spysky pc's ip, using port 8000. Then I clicked the set and reboot boxes and then exited GAS.

I opened a web browser at pointed it to the spysky pc's ip. In the third group of information, at the end I see:

Somehow the Data Server IP is not being set and I suspect that's consistent with spysky not receiving any data.

You are sure that after you changed the data with GAS you clicked on SET, waited and then clicked on REBOOT.

//
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message though a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
//

Offline flamand

« Reply #437 on: November 14, 2014, 01:06:43 PM »

Sorry ...I was unclear.

You are sure that after you changed the data with GAS you clicked on SET, waited and then clicked on REBOOT.

Yes. The line before the ones I quoted says Use Proxy - Yes

Offline keckec

« Reply #438 on: November 14, 2014, 01:25:08 PM »

I think the GW might not fill in the Data Server IP field until it makes a connection. In my setup the GW connects to a web server with php scripts to save data and keep the GW happy.

I'll try disabling the web server and cycle power on the GW. Then I'll look at its web page to see if/when the Data Server IP and Last Contact fields get filled in.

Offline MtHighVs

« Reply #439 on: November 15, 2014, 12:37:50 AM »

I think the GW might not fill in the Data Server IP field until it makes a connection. In my setup the GW connects to a web server with php scripts to save data and keep the GW happy.

I'll try disabling the web server and cycle power on the GW. Then I'll look at its web page to see if/when the Data Server IP and Last Contact fields get filled in.

I think you are right that the Data Server IP field is filled in when it makes a connection with the skyspy server.

Have you tried opening port 8000 to all traffic in the firewall on the spysky machine it seems that I had some trouble with that when I first installed and open the port for testing and when it starting working I make a rule for port 8000 in the firewall

Offline keckec

« Reply #440 on: November 15, 2014, 12:03:47 PM »

As a test I turned off my web server so the GW would have nothing to connect to. Then rebooted the GW. The GW's web page was filled in with all the above fields except Last contact showed "no contact." The Data Server IP was the same as the Proxy Server Name, which in my case is the IP address of my web server. I then restarted the web server, and after a couple of minutes the GW filled in the all the fields.

It's possible the Data Server IP field doesn't get set to 0.0.0.0 until after it's failed to connect a number of times.

Offline kj5fa

« Reply #441 on: November 15, 2014, 07:56:56 PM »
My results look like:

Proxy Server Name   192.168.121
Proxy Port                   8000
Data Server IP         192.168.121
Last contact           no contact

But I haven't ever made a connection that I have seen. Guess it's just failed enough but it came up with that as soon as I re-subscribed after my gateway started wigging out after I changed some values I shouldn't have apparently. I reset everything, git the PWS talking to internet and then used GAS to re-direct. As soon as I logged into ERF-Gateway Settings & States the results above were there.

But I still do not get any data reflected on the SkySpy Monitor.  :sad:

And the Internet icon is not displayed.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 08:03:52 PM by kj5fa »

Offline keckec

« Reply #442 on: November 16, 2014, 12:52:35 AM »
Proxy Server Name   192.168.121
But I still do not get any data reflected on the SkySpy Monitor.  :sad:

And the Internet icon is not displayed.
Is 192.168.121 the full IP address you entered? This looks incomplete. It should have four numbers separated by three periods.

Offline kj5fa

« Reply #443 on: November 16, 2014, 09:52:23 AM »
Sorry missed a .1.

It should have been:

Offline keckec

« Reply #444 on: November 16, 2014, 10:05:31 AM »
Sorry missed a .1.

It should have been:

OK. I was thinking if you only entered three numbers into GAS, it could have been the problem.

You could install Wireshark and capture network traffic to see if anything is getting through. It's a bit complicated to use, but if set monitor only port 8000 it could tell if the GW is sending anything.

Offline kj5fa

« Reply #445 on: November 16, 2014, 12:30:23 PM »
This was quick and dirty so it may be useless info. I am over my head with this, but trying to get this to work.

Thanks again for all the help!  \:D/

Installed Wireshark. Monitoring my wireless connection from this skyspy computer. Found the capture filters and created a new filter by using the TCP or UDP port 80(HTTP) and changing it to be port 8000 instead. Changed it to 8000 in the filter name and filter string.

Nothing came threw initially, because I had stopped re-directing data with GAS. After going into GAS and using the 192.168.1.121 address, data starting showing up in Wireshark!!! What does tell me?

I've attached a screenshot of what I was seeing. Is png the preferred graphic format?

Offline keckec

« Reply #446 on: November 16, 2014, 12:56:27 PM »
Nothing came threw initially, because I had stopped re-directing data with GAS. After going into GAS and using the 192.168.1.121 address, data starting showing up in Wireshark!!! What does tell me?

I've attached a screenshot of what I was seeing. Is png the preferred graphic format?
All the traffic is going one way. It appears skyspy is not replying. I think it still could be a firewall issue, where skyspy is not seeing the packets from the GW, or its reply is being blocked. Does skyspy keep a log that might tell if it sees anything?

Offline flamand

« Reply #447 on: November 17, 2014, 04:03:45 PM »

All the traffic is going one way. It appears skyspy is not replying. I think it still could be a firewall issue, where skyspy is not seeing the packets from the GW, or its reply is being blocked. Does skyspy keep a log that might tell if it sees anything?

I've completely disabled my firewall and made sure nothing about port 8000 was set in my router. Still no data is going to skyspy. Can you think of another way to look for a firewall problem?

I've thought about another test using an ethernet crossover cable to connect the gateway directly to the skyspy pc and let the pc get internet connectivity via wireless. i'm sure it's more involved than just plugging in a cable though.

Offline keckec

« Reply #448 on: November 18, 2014, 12:15:27 AM »
Can you think of another way to look for a firewall problem?

I've thought about another test using an ethernet crossover cable to connect the gateway directly to the skyspy pc and let the pc get internet connectivity via wireless. i'm sure it's more involved than just plugging in a cable though.

Could you copy and paste all the info from the GW's web page into a reply to this thread, or post a screen shot. Or if you'd rather, send it in a PM to me. I want to check the rest of the fields.  Thanks.

Offline flamand

« Reply #449 on: November 18, 2014, 12:48:15 AM »
These are for with and without using a proxy.

Can you think of another way to look for a firewall problem?

Could you copy and paste all the info from the GW's web page into a reply to this thread, or post a screen shot. Or if you'd rather, send it in a PM to me. I want to check the rest of the fields.  Thanks.

anything