Author Topic: I hate this thing -check the update... now dead  (Read 2171 times)

Offline fatrusty

I hate this thing -check the update... now dead
« on: January 19, 2014, 05:56:49 PM »
So the wind speed indicator on my 2812 is struggling with battery charge. We had 2 weeks of fog and no sun and the battery is down. I am going to try the putting it under the lamp to see if it will boost or I will have to replace the batteries. Anything new with the battery replacement? This is the last time I am going to play with this system and the next time it goes in the garbage.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 08:35:12 PM by fatrusty »

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: I hate this thing
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 06:12:48 PM »
Just make sure that they are RAM's (rechargeable Alkalines). Regular NiCad or NiMh may or may not work as those are only 1.2v each where the RAM's are 1.5v each. Also when you separate the wind sensor to access the batteries be sure to remove the wind vane first and carefully slide the top half up over the wind vane's shaft. There's a delicate plastic optical part inside that can be broken if you don't take the vane off first.
Welcome to the forum also! ;)

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 06:59:43 PM »
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the "WS" he has circled indicates Weather Station, NOT the outdoor wind unit. That is indicated with the WI on the far right. I wouldn't go taking the wind unit apart until we are 100% sure. I used to have the exact station you have. Toss it. Get a Davis Vantage Pro. Much more accurate, reliable and it catches your wind gusts much more reliably.

Don in Ohio

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 07:04:18 PM »
Let me correct myself just for my own peace of mind... I have a Davis Vantage VUE, not the Pro. Duhhhhh!!!!  #-o

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 07:05:45 PM »
I seriously am Brain Dead this evening lol. The WS on your display on your screen capture is the weather station in your house that displays the readings from outside. Okay, I think I'm done. Sorry folks!!!  ](*,)

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 07:19:20 PM »
That is correct, the WS is the console batteries and WI is the wind gauge batteries.

Offline fatrusty

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 08:21:00 PM »
Thanks for the info I will replace the batteries on the "Weather Station"  first. Glad I posted a screen shot!

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 08:36:45 PM »
Out of the 3 parts that use replaceable batteries (console, T/H, and rain) I've noticed with mine that the console would need changing more often than the other parts. Rain gauge will hold out the longest (over 2 years for me) then the T/H would last maybe 8 months or so but the console would go 5 or 6 months before getting low. So, I added a wall-wart pack and leave the batteries in for back up for power outages. This way it doesn't need to go on the UPS either. ;)

Offline fatrusty

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 08:32:58 PM »
OK so I came home this afternoon and the dang wind speed indicator quit communicating. I changed the batteries on the panel and that battery indicator is now full.
Weather was clear and sunny all day, so why is the thing losing contact. I reset everything last Sunday.

anything