Author Topic: WS2355 crashing my windows 8 pc  (Read 6381 times)

Offline DavidH

WS2355 crashing my windows 8 pc
« on: December 07, 2013, 07:22:28 AM »
Dear all,

First post here hoping someone can help me. A year after buying my lacrosse WS2355 I finally got around to connecting it to my windows 8, now windows 8.1 PC. I installed heavyweather software that came with it and the unit is connected via a serial port/ USB adapter.

After a short period of running the PC crashes.

I have contacted the supplier and they say its not windows 8 or 8.1 compatible. LaCrosse were also as helpful when I contacted them.

Does anyone know of a way to get it to work or is there other software that would work?

I would like to upload the data to weatherunderground or something similar so I can see all the data as at the monent all I can see is live data and max min by pressing a load of buttons.

Thanks for any help

David

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
Re: WS2355 crashing my windows 8 pc
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 08:20:06 AM »
Hi David,

Check here:  Ambient Weather Software

Virtual Weather Station is listed as being Windows 8 compataible.

Cumulus may run on Windows 8  and is a free download/donationware.

There are others. I use Weather Display on Windows 7 64 bit with no problems.

John
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 08:33:53 AM »
I see in the manual "Operating system: Windows 98, Windows 2000, XP Pro and Home Editions, and Vista". Along with John's suggestions and if you happen to have a serial port on your P.C. you may want to try bypassing the USB adapter and go in via serial in case Windows 8 has it's issue there.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 08:47:28 AM »
I'm not sure what part is not win 8.1 compatible.  Is it the heavy weather?  Is it the station?  Could it be the serial/usb adapter/driver?

I use WUHU software to upload my davis station, although I have also used it to upload OS and LaCrosse stations, too.  I don't know if it works with win 8.x yet, but I do know it works with heavy weather somewhat.  The software author reads this forum and also has a yahoo group for WUHU.  You could get in touch with him and ask if it is compatible with win 8.1.

Good luck!
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 01:03:30 PM »
or is there other software that would work?
According to http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/a/Supported_Devices#La_Crosse that station is supported by Cumulus, but with a cautionary note!

Paul

Offline DavidH

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 03:52:24 PM »
blimy thats a lot of information since I posted that, many thanks for all the info. I found ambient was tempted but its $100 for the internet version which is somewhat pricey.

Sandaysoft cumulas sounds good pity I had not heard that the PC interface on my la crosse was rubbish before I bought it !! Could give it a blast I suppose.

The WUHU one is interesting but it appears to need the heavyweather beta 2 software which may or may not be crashing my PC. Interesting info at the bottom of this page http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/ it says about cheap serial to USB adaptors. The one I have came with the unit so I can only guess its good.

My PC does not have a serial port its an asus P8Z77-V-LX but I think I may be able to buy one and add it directly onto the mobo as there is a com1 input.

It is strange that this weather station is compatible with all OS up to Vista I think it may be a 64bit issue rather than a vista windows 7 or 8 issue although vista did also come in a 64 bit version it was not the norm. So therefore I feel it would point towards an incompatible driver rather than software.

Anyone know is heavyweather 64bit compatible?

A lot more work needed that with 2 young kids is not easy to get the time to do the research. Many thanks again one and all.

David

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 04:12:46 PM »
Is it possible to regift the station and maybe Santa will bring you a Davis?   :-k
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline DavidH

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 05:13:57 PM »
who is this guy Santa and when does he arrive !! lol. one of my youngest only knows a handful of words and one is santa and presents !! Would love a Davis but they are too expensive in the UK. Just installed Cumulus and its been running for around an hour which is several times longer than heavyweather. So, so far so good. Data seems stable as well but need to learn all the settings etc.

Once I get to play around with it over next few days I will see if I can upload to wunderground. Is this the best website for PWS owners or is there somewhere else you guys upload to? There are no other stations within my area on wunderground so I would like to pop my area on the map !!

David

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2013, 05:40:13 PM »
Once I get to play around with it over next few days I will see if I can upload to wunderground. Is this the best website for PWS owners or is there somewhere else you guys upload to?
Once you have registered with them you can send to several in addition to WU such as WOW, CWOP, PWS and WB as you will see from the Cumulus Configuration Internet setup, and also with a little more effort to AWEKAS.

Paul

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2013, 07:27:53 PM »
If Cumulus has fixed your problem so far, you might want to ensure even further good luck by sending them a donation. While the software is free, they do ask for a donation.

Offline DavidH

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 05:13:12 PM »
Dear all thanks for the help cumulus does appear to be pretty stable after a few days running. There is a strange problem with minimising it to the tool bar the odd slightly strange rainfall reading but most importantly I have managed to upload to WOW and WU so LaCrosse and the company I bought it from you are both wrong this unit WS2355 can be used with windows 8.

Will be giving a donation for sure so I can help them develop a fully functional 8.1 version. Many thanks guys.

David

Offline TrugWX

• Senior Meteorologist (ret), Australian Bureau of Meteorology
  • Senior Contributor
  • Truganina Weather
    • Truganina Weather
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 06:24:55 AM »
WUHU can connect to your La Crosse WS2355 directly thus eliminating the need for HeavyWeather. I'm using the exact same setup on my Win8 system. The only issue was to find a Win8 compatible USB/Serial driver.

Offline DavidH

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2014, 12:07:12 PM »
I didn't try a direct connection but cumulus has pretty much worked flawlessly for me since I installed it on 8.1 since December. I also like the way I get an email from WU when I stop reporting its handy to tell me my PC has crashed as I also use the PC as a CCTV server.
If it ever fails then I will try something else in the future.

Thanks

David