Author Topic: Upgraded to Win 10-1903 on Netbooks!  (Read 610 times)

Offline azkiwi

• Senior Contributor
    • Maricopa, Sonoran Desert, Arizona
Upgraded to Win 10-1903 on Netbooks!
« on: June 16, 2019, 12:42:50 PM »

Well, have spent the last week or 2, updating the Weather systems from XP (1) and Win 7 (2) to Windows 10 - Release 1903, and things have gone as well as expected.

These are all Netbooks, 1 Acer, 2 Asus, all now with a 2gb SIMM.  They are pretty low powered systems, but they seem to be handling the load ok.  Have a few moments of 100% CPU, 100% memory and 70% disk usage spikes, but they're pretty transient, lasting only 3-10 seconds. Majority of the time CPU is 40% or less, Memory is 60% or less.

Win 10's infamous "we're gonna update whether you like it or not" has caused a few headaches and extended outages, but using Brian's YouTube instructions, I've set up system tasks to start up WD following a reboot.  Windows defender runs, and sometimes- after an update - it tends to hog the few resources available to to its security / virus check. So far they haven't caused and problems.

I've noticed that 1903 installed and runs things like Skype, yourPhone, Microsoft Store automatically.  I have no need of them, they just chew up scarce memory.  I've looked around, but I can't find info on how to stop these extraneous programs from starting I don't know if they're like Edge, embedded in the operating system or not, but I'd sure like to disable them.  Does any one know how or where I might accomplish this?  It's no show stopper, but with only 2GB RAM, memory is valuable.

Thanks,

Ken

Oh, it's all "Niko's Fault", he's the one who suggested I get of XP, and did, via and interim win 7 Stage.... Thanks Niko, good advice....

Crossposted in both forums

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: Upgraded to Win 10-1903 on Netbooks!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 01:10:43 PM »
PCDecrapifier will remove them and a bunch of other er.. crap.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!