Author Topic: WMR 200 - improve antenna signal - my working trick :)  (Read 21485 times)

Offline LTCSZ

• Hedgehog Alley
Re: WMR 200 - improve antenna signal - my working trick :)
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2011, 06:06:03 PM »
Spoke too soon! My rain gauge is dopping out from tme to time...Does anyone know of a trick for this one? It is located less than 50 feet from the console with the wall of the house in between...Does the transmitting antenna inside the gauge have lobes that might be stronger ? Would rotating the gauge 90 degrees help? (I guess it couldn't hurt)...Just want some opinions before I unmount the bucket and loosen all those screws! Thanks,

Steve
Steve
Retired Lieutenant Colonel, USA
Garden City, KS, USA

Offline gadget_guy

• Forecaster
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2011, 06:21:35 PM »
You might need a better antenna to ensure solid reception.  I've tried a number of methods and finally found that a better external antenna solved my reception problems.  Check out this thread:  http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=9096.0

It was a bit more work but in the end it was worth it. 

KVAMCGAH2 - Massanutten VA Davis
KVAMASSA2 -Massanutten VA Oregon Scientific
WA2ONG

Offline LTCSZ

• Hedgehog Alley
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2011, 06:29:19 PM »
Man, you don't want to see me with a soldering iron in my hands...Probably fry the entire console (and burn down the house)...I think I will try the copper wire trick first...Then, I may try to find an electronics geek for your modification if needed...Wish I had your talent (and guts)...How will I explain frying a brand new $250 purchae? Thanks for the reply...

Steve
Steve
Retired Lieutenant Colonel, USA
Garden City, KS, USA

Offline satbeginner

• Today is not the general rehearsal for tomorrow
    • Living in Spain
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2012, 07:12:29 AM »
Hi All,

I know it has been long since this post was active, but I wanted to show the Mod for my WMR-200.

Although not a Yagi, it still works for me!

After warranty went on my WMR-200 I decided to solve the connection problems for once and for all.
I used the 433 MHz antenna design I found in the linked document written by Kent Smith (RFM), http://www.rfm.com/corp/appdata/antenna.pdf

In the attached pictures how the Mod looks.
Here some bigger pictures: https://picasaweb.google.com/castellcorunas/WMR200AntennaMod?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Bye,

Satbeginner
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 07:16:10 AM by satbeginner »
OS 200, VWS 14

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2012, 07:52:15 AM »
Good work. It appears that you used the the "right stuff" with the cabling and SMA connectors. Looks like a fun project.

Offline satbeginner

• Today is not the general rehearsal for tomorrow
    • Living in Spain
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2012, 07:56:30 AM »
Yes, they are SMA style connector.

The chassis-part is quite small, the cable-part was quite big, but it was the one available, so what can I say?

I got them at www.conrad.com

The data of our wheaterstation can be found at: http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=IMURCIAA2

Bye
OS 200, VWS 14

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2012, 08:27:01 AM »
The 200's receiving problems are legendary, some work, some don't. Mine won't receive the temp sensor while in direct line of sight through a window, probably 40'. I tried it all over the computer area and finally found it would receive sitting up in a window in an adjacent powder room where it remained for over a year, I tried it back in the PC area and would set it on the desk about a foot from the 100 which works no matter where you put it. I'd wait for a drop out and move it a few inches until I finally got it under an open space on the wall, then would move it up by slipping books under it until I finally got it to a place I could mount it, took about a week all in all. I've got a new 200 coming in next week, we'll see if it's able to operate there, but it's a Davis later in the year for sure.