Author Topic: Did Amazon Pull the Atlas?  (Read 3112 times)

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
Did Amazon Pull the Atlas?
« on: October 14, 2018, 08:43:13 PM »
I just noticed that it looks like Amazon pulled the Atlas from sale:

Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Did Amazon Pull the Atlas?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 09:12:28 PM »
I had just looked today and it had reached #29 on the best sellers list for weather stations. Now it is gone off that list too.

UPDATE: No wait it is there! It just dropped further down the list to #35

https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/lawn-garden/397435011/

Side note: It is amazing to me how the LaCrosse V40-Pro is #8 or #9 consistently for the past couple months. Who is buying this thing? The LaCrosse sub forum here is dead quiet. This weather station does not even have barometric pressure calibration. The words: barometer, pressure, elevation, altitude are not even in the user manual. I guess it isn't being bought by enthusiasts, but rather by consumers that have basic needs.  Amazon's best sellers list shows us that not necessarily the best floats up to the top but rather cheaper products. Sometimes there are exceptions like when a product ranks very high in stars and positive reviews and some good things that are a bit more price wise sell well.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 09:38:27 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 09:40:52 PM »
Maybe Acurite has issued a recall on lighting sensors? Does anyone think we'll ever know the real reason?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 09:44:52 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 10:27:54 PM »
I had just looked today and it had reached #29 on the best sellers list for weather stations. Now it is gone off that list too.
Side note: It is amazing to me how the LaCrosse V40-Pro is #8 or #9 consistently for the past couple months. Who is buying this thing?  Amazon's best sellers list shows us that not necessarily the best floats up to the top but rather cheaper products.
If you recollect, we discussed popularity earlier. Reply #1046
http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=34658.msg356266#msg356266

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 11:08:47 PM »
Side note: It is amazing to me how the LaCrosse V40-Pro is #8 or #9 consistently for the past couple months. Who is buying this thing?  Amazon's best sellers list shows us that not necessarily the best floats up to the top but rather cheaper products.

I remember. What's your point? That  something that sells well isn't good? That something that is cheap will always float to the top sellers list? I'm saying the same thing. But I'm bringing attention to the fact that sometimes something worthy is at the top of the list if it has high marks and high satisfaction and might be higher priced than things further along the list. And I'm bringing attention to the fact that some things sell well and are not so great. I'm not asking any questions. Just pointing out interesting things.

I like looking at the Amazon best sellers list. It doesn't always tell me what to buy. It is but one factor in the buying equation and weighs differently based on other research. But sometimes it does.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 11:17:22 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2018, 11:26:34 PM »

I remember. What's your point?
Simple. Seemingly when it was your PWS in question, being popular was good. Now that it's not your PWS in question, being popular is bad. That's all. If that was not your intent, then obviously I construed it differently.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2018, 11:41:29 PM »

I remember. What's your point?
Simple. Seemingly when it was your PWS in question, being popular was good. Now that it's not your PWS in question, being popular is bad. That's all. If that was not your intent, then obviously I construed it differently.

I understand. I didn't fully spell it out before because I didn't think a best seller list needed explaining. Just because someone points out a best selling item that they are also recommending on a list doesn't mean that they are saying it must be good just because it is a top seller. Rather they might be pointing out that it is a good product on its own merit AND it is a best seller giving it even more justification. So no, I don't think I'm being contradictory by now pointing out a best seller that stinks.
Tele-Pole

Offline PSL

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2018, 08:26:43 AM »
I just noticed that it looks like Amazon pulled the Atlas from sale:

Looks like Amazon has resumed sale of the Atlas package at $257. Amazing how they resolved the problem overnight!

Offline davefr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2018, 10:22:19 AM »
Acurite is crazy if they don't pull the lightning detector bundle off the market.  They're knowingly selling a flawed product without a solution. Their Amazon reviews are in a free fall.  If reviews drop to 2 stars I doubt the product can survive.   

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2018, 10:31:43 AM »
I noticed over the weekend, my replacement unit, not only still has the false strikes, now it will not report UV over 2. My original one did properly report the UV.
Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline Wrog

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2018, 04:25:43 PM »
My UV only reports as high as 3.  At this time of year as the sun is lower in the horizon I guess it should be a lower UV level.  But the past two days have been completely clear and I would think it should be higher than a three at noon.  I'm too concerned about this reading but it would be nice to know if it is accurate.

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2018, 05:48:17 PM »
My UV only reports as high as 3.  At this time of year as the sun is lower in the horizon I guess it should be a lower UV level.  But the past two days have been completely clear and I would think it should be higher than a three at noon.  I'm too concerned about this reading but it would be nice to know if it is accurate.

You can try checking some UV web sites.
https://weather.com/maps/current-uv-index

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2018, 06:46:36 PM »

On my ws2000 over the last week or so, on completely sunny days in Phoenix, I have had readings as high as 7 on the UV in the middle of the day...With the Atlas, I too never had a reading over 3..

Offline abusuzuki

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2018, 07:25:46 AM »

On my ws2000 over the last week or so, on completely sunny days in Phoenix, I have had readings as high as 7 on the UV in the middle of the day...With the Atlas, I too never had a reading over 3..

If you are still using the Atlas, How is the temperature reading of ws2000 compared to Atlas ? Does it give a higher temperature than the Atlas during the day? I liked that the display of ws2000 shows the Min/Max temperature with the decimal numbers.

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2018, 09:40:26 AM »

If you are still using the Atlas, How is the temperature reading of ws2000 compared to Atlas ? Does it give a higher temperature than the Atlas during the day? I liked that the display of ws2000 shows the Min/Max temperature with the decimal numbers.

Sorry, not using the Atlas anymore, returned it to Amazon..

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2018, 09:54:06 AM »

I wouldn't expect the temperatures to be anything but great on the Atlas compared to the WS-2000. The Atlas has a bigger radiation shield, it has a fan, and it has a better sensor than the WS-2000 (SHT31 vs SHT30). The only small issue I've heard about is that the Atlas display is doing some funky rounding and/or averaging (I'm sure this will be corrected with a firmware update at some point). But this issue doesn't affect the Access and online services.
Tele-Pole

Offline Wrog

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2018, 05:00:44 PM »
You can try checking some UV web sites.
https://weather.com/maps/current-uv-index

Thanks for the link.  I checked this afternoon and my sensor is reporting UV 3 and the site is also reporting UV 3 so looks to be right.  Also, three times during the day, my sensor has gone up to UV 4.  I'll try to remember to check midday tomorrow and see if TWC is reporting the same.  It's supposed to be sunny the rest of the week so it's a good time to compare the two.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2018, 05:17:34 PM »
The weather.com UV index only goes up to 10, so I think it is on a different scale. On the Acurite Atlas (as is on my Ambient) the range is 0 to 16. My point is that perhaps an index of 8 on weather.com is not equivalent to an 8 on our stations.

But maybe I'm wrong and weather.com only reports up to 10 and the scale is the same.

I'm all ears eyes if someone has an nice little lesson on this topic.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 05:22:52 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2018, 05:34:47 PM »
The weather.com UV index only goes up to 10, so I think it is on a different scale. On the Acurite Atlas (as is on my Ambient) the range is 0 to 16. My point is that perhaps an index of 8 on weather.com is not equivalent to an 8 on our stations.

But maybe I'm wrong and weather.com only reports up to 10 and the scale is the same.

I'm all ears eyes if someone has an nice little lesson on this topic.

Good point, didn't think about the UV scale would/could be different. Something to look into. I also don't like the website's data being 30-50 minutes behind real time. The main reason I looked at sites was because people were stating that their Atlas was under reporting UV data. Mine seem low but I didn't really know what it should be. My UV data seems right and matches my neighbors.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 05:37:39 PM by worachj »

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline WXman

• Stormdawg
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2018, 08:44:15 PM »
I was really excited by the news of the Atlas.  But $257 is really steep for a station with slow update rates and poor reviews from owners.  I can buy the Davis Vantage Vue station for $238 and it's unquestionably a higher quality unit with 2.5 second updates, which is critical during a thunderstorm.

I really would have thought Acurite would bring their A-game this time around with a product equal to the Davis offerings OR a significantly lower price.  Looks like they went the opposite direction with a continued inferior product and a higher price.  Sigh...   ](*,)
B.S. in Meteorology/Climatology

38.01977N, 84.83486W
Davis Vantage Pro 2 wireless station
AcuRite 5-n-1 w/ WiFi reporting to WU

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2018, 08:55:00 PM »
keep in mind there is no UV sensor or sunlight sensor on the davis vue, and, even though the lightning detector is pretty problematic on the Atlas, the Vue doesnt have that either..plus, the nice color display on the Atlas is a plus for it..

I wanted to get a Vue as well, but in the Arizona desert, I wanted Sunlight and UV detection, and, the only way to get that on a davis is to step up and pay over 500..

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2018, 09:40:20 PM »
I wanted to get a Vue as well, but in the Arizona desert, I wanted Sunlight and UV detection, and, the only way to get that on a davis is to step up and pay over 500..
Obviously your choice, but this never made sense to me, here. You and I live in some of the most sun-baked places on earth, with the some of driest air, which compounds the fact. Why do I need to see a measurement that I know will be off the scale, even in colder months. I know every time I walk out the door, the sun will be a factor on outdoor life.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2018, 09:49:02 PM »
I can buy the Davis Vantage Vue station for $238 and it's unquestionably a higher quality unit with 2.5 second updates, which is critical during a thunderstorm.

That price for the Vue does not include a data logger. So the difference between the Vue and the Atlas is much greater if you plan on connecting to the Internet.
Tele-Pole

Offline graculus

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2018, 10:11:16 PM »
I can buy the Davis Vantage Vue station for $238 and it's unquestionably a higher quality unit with 2.5 second updates, which is critical during a thunderstorm.

I'm no AcuRite fan, but if wx data is critical to you don't forget that with the Vue you are stuck with either the anemometer or the rain/temp/hum being mounted at an unsuitable height.

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2018, 10:29:14 PM »

That price for the Vue does not include a data logger. So the difference between the Vue and the Atlas is much greater if you plan on connecting to the Internet.

So, with the Vue, out of the box, you cant monitor your station via the internet in any way shape or form with out a data logger?
Are all the Davis's like that now?

thanks