Author Topic: Dual panel 5in1s and intermittent fan  (Read 16886 times)

Offline SufferinSuccotash

Dual panel 5in1s and intermittent fan
« on: April 18, 2015, 04:40:17 PM »

I have finally been able to take down my 5in1 and clean it from the winter.
Luckily no insects in it.  However the fan on the unit runs intermittently.
I noticed temps going up and down on sunny days.

When I look at the fan, even in direct sunlight it runs occasionally.  If I touch it or blow on it it will start up.
If I cover the panels for not longer than 10 secs and then uncover them, provided that fan is running, it will restart.
If I cover the panels for longer than 10 secs.. the fan will NOT restart.   It MAY restart at a later time if jostled.
My question is.  Is this unit defective or is it a design problem?
Others have noticed the same thing and put forward the hypothesis that the fan needs more amperage or voltage to start.
Does anyone know if Acurite has addressed this?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 04:50:47 PM by SufferinSuccotash »

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Re: Dual panel 5in1s and intermittent fan
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 05:32:21 PM »
The motor takes more current to start than it does to keep running.  That's typical of how electrical motors work.

However, you should not need to start the motor on your own.  If you're having to do that to get to run in direct sunlight, something is wrong and it should be returned.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 05:54:09 PM »
Many have sent the thing back, and it doesn't help them. If you could lend your experience with these kind of things into ramping up the voltage to the motor from the regulator, I think that would be such an improvement for us all. I think there is enough solar panel power available, I just don't think it is getting to the motor. Thoughts?

Now if someone can confirm that changes have been made by Chaney, that might be the first path to take.

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 06:03:32 PM »
Many have sent the thing back, and it doesn't help them. If you could lend your experience with these kind of things into ramping up the voltage to the motor from the regulator, I think that would be such an improvement for us all. I think there is enough solar panel power available, I just don't think it is getting to the motor. Thoughts?

Now if someone can confirm that changes have been made by Chaney, that might be the first path to take.

My sentiments exactly.  However it seems that tmoosetrax here just got back his dual panel and has had it up and running for a week and all looks well!
I'm not sure I want to send if back only to get back a unit that has the same underlying problem.

I just had a thought.  If one uses Acurite's 15 min update to WU, they may not see a graph such as mine.  Since WU is updated as quickly as 10 sec if there are changes to any parameter, only then will such sawtooth temp patterns appear.  The 15min update intervals will smooth out things. If the fan is intermittent then the temp MAY be high compared to others around them but may not necessarily show a swinging pattern.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 06:08:27 PM by SufferinSuccotash »

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 06:08:18 PM »

I actually know it has helped several.

If your equipment isn't performing to spec, send it back for repair or refund.

The LCO regulator actually brings the voltage down a bit so there will be sufficient current to start the motor.  From the power equation P=VI, if you bring up the voltage at the expense of current, it will probably make matters worse.

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 06:09:58 PM »

The LCO regulator actually brings the voltage down a bit so there will be sufficient current to start the motor.  From the power equation P=VI, if you bring up the voltage at the expense of current, it will probably make matters worse.

I am currently awaiting Chaney's response to this.
I am currently awaiting Chaney's response to this.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2015, 06:41:57 PM »

It's my decision and I don't want to waste time sending the thing back, at least not yet...

If it has helped customers, what is Chaney doing to the unit to "fix it"? I can do it myself, and have the sensor back in service in an hour or so. I am not here to rub Acurites belly or "massage their ego", I just want to get my motor running properly. :lol:

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2015, 06:45:15 PM »

It's my decision and I don't want to waste time sending the thing back, at least not yet...

If it has helped customers, what is Chaney doing to the unit to "fix it"? I can do it myself, and have the sensor back in service in an hour or so. I am not here to rub Acurites belly or "massage their ego", I just want to get my motor running properly. :lol:

Yes.  It is your decision. 

If you want to know what Chaney is doing to "fix it", ask them.  I wouldn't expect them to give you an answer, though.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2015, 06:58:40 PM »
If you want to know what Chaney is doing to "fix it", ask them.  I wouldn't expect them to give you an answer, though.

But you should already know, so just tell us so we can fix it and get more out of the product and not have to wait for weeks. :-)

I think you don't want to tell us, and that is of course your decision, but I wish you would be a bit more open to the idea.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2015, 07:07:33 PM »
If I had a defective unit to analyze, I suspect I could tell you what is wrong.

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2015, 07:31:56 PM »
I just want a working unit!   I'm encouraged that tmoosetrax has reported a more satisfactory unit.  If this is the case I will push to get my dual panel replaced.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2015, 08:25:15 PM »
I just want a working unit!   I'm encouraged that tmoosetrax has reported a more satisfactory unit.  If this is the case I will push to get my dual panel replaced.

I suspect that's what most people want.   If it's not something obvious causing the problem, return it.

Either that or augment the power to the fan as some people here have been doing for several years.  That will void your warranty, of course, but there's not a lot of money at risk here...maybe $30 or $40 for a new wind-cup/fan assembly?

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2015, 09:23:45 PM »
I'm going to do what I can with the fan, and then I am painting this one like I did my old unit.  I am painting the outside white and the top underside black to create a natural draft. Then I'm going to install it again where it is located now until it dies a natural death.

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2015, 09:36:12 PM »

I suspect that's what most people want.   If it's not something obvious causing the problem, return it.

Either that or augment the power to the fan as some people here have been doing for several years.  That will void your warranty, of course, but there's not a lot of money at risk here...maybe $30 or $40 for a new wind-cup/fan assembly?

I currently have dual and single panel units.   I had hoped that the dual panel would have been better.   I'm in agreement with the Doctor.  I will wait to see if others have seen an improvement in their returned units before I send mine in.  I may rig up something with the single panel unit but at present it is more accurate than the dual panel one.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2015, 09:55:16 PM »
I still have my single panel with the add on solar panel I installed on the west side. If I could get the wind cups off the dual unit without breaking them, I would just switch panels... The things are on so tight, I believe if I tried to apply enough strength to get them off the bearing, I would break it. My old spoons on the original single top were so brittle, that when I touched them to a table, they just snapped, so that option is not likely for me. I am not spending anymore cash on this cow.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2015, 10:04:52 PM »
I don't understand why you would accept defective equipment, but it's your choice.

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2015, 10:20:21 PM »
I don't understand why you would accept defective equipment, but it's your choice.

Don't get me wrong.  I realize that it is not performing up to code but I still have a bit of time left on the warranty so will get a gestalt on the most recent returns to see how satisfied people are with them.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2015, 10:53:20 PM »

Don't get me wrong.  I realize that it is not performing up to code but I still have a bit of time left on the warranty so will get a gestalt on the most recent returns to see how satisfied people are with them.
Send it back. Seriously, as many problems as you folks have with these things, I'd really consider something else if you're able.

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2015, 11:15:02 PM »

Send it back. Seriously, as many problems as you folks have with these things, I'd really consider something else if you're able.

If everything worked perfectly it wouldn't be a hobby. #-o I'd have nothing to tinker with!  Besides if it worked it would be like the Ronco rotisserie .... Set it and forget it!  What fun would that be? :)

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2015, 11:26:37 PM »
I agree it needs to be sent back.   The more returns they get, the more likely the problems will be addressed.

Unfortunately, there are those who keep complaining, but also keep refusing to send the equipment back.  A few get very militant and demanding, asking for "proof" that a repair will be made before they send anything in. 

What's up with that?  Why can't they just send it in, get it repaired/replaced/refunded, and get on with life?

A few years back Acurite had a legitimate problem with the 5n1 sensors and were replacing them liberally even those well out of warranty without ]requiring a return.  Unfortunately it seems some started abusing that policy, so Acurite started asking for equipment to be returned for analysis. 

I can't blame them for doing that.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2015, 12:12:57 AM »

If everything worked perfectly it wouldn't be a hobby. #-o I'd have nothing to tinker with!  Besides if it worked it would be like the Ronco rotisserie .... Set it and forget it!  What fun would that be? :)
Ya know, I completely get that. I now have mine so much on auto pilot, UPS online backup to boot, that I'm merely a monitor.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2015, 12:18:08 AM »
Besides if it worked it would be like the Ronco rotisserie .... Set it and forget it!  What fun would that be? :)

That's why I love my Ronco Rotisserie.  It works great.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2015, 08:50:44 AM »

I thought I explained this already. I have $$$ tied up in this. I have two 5 in 1's, one which is broken, two displays, a bridge, a tower, a meteobridge, which I couldn't be more pleased with by the way, and a radiation shield that I built, and is the only reason I can even send temp/humidity to the internet. I would not try to sell the 5 n 1 because it is not working 100%, but I think I can fix it and am going to try. I had my old model working as good as I could ask for and had no spikes. I wouldn't even bother trying to fix it, but I have 2 displays here that are almost useless. The forecasts are wrong because the data coming into them is wrong. The only things right are wind and rain...

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2015, 11:54:04 AM »

I thought I explained this already. I have $$$ tied up in this. I have two 5 in 1's, one which is broken, two displays, a bridge, a tower, a meteobridge, which I couldn't be more pleased with by the way, and a radiation shield that I built, and is the only reason I can even send temp/humidity to the internet. I would not try to sell the 5 n 1 because it is not working 100%, but I think I can fix it and am going to try. I had my old model working as good as I could ask for and had no spikes. I wouldn't even bother trying to fix it, but I have 2 displays here that are almost useless. The forecasts are wrong because the data coming into them is wrong. The only things right are wind and rain...

I wasn't talking to you.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2015, 12:21:50 PM »
I expect the capacitor is bad. Probably made in Mexico. The Chinese ones are usually better. Isn't the capacitor what starts the motor?

anything