Author Topic: Starter Weather Station for Friend  (Read 5739 times)

Offline addchild314

Starter Weather Station for Friend
« on: January 12, 2009, 09:50:22 AM »
Hey All,

I have been browsing this forum checking the recommendations for a new starter weather station, but I am still a little lost. I am buying a weather station for a friend of mine, and I know she has wanted one for a long time. I am looking for one with an anemometer, rain gauge, indoor/outdoor temp/humidity, and requires low upkeep. Also, the ability to upload weather data to wunderground. I was looking at the OS WMR968, but have heard mixed reviews about it. I would go with that one, but there are a couple of complications: she lives in an apartment with limited outdoor space; the only open space for the rain gauge/anemometer is the roof, so it is not workable to have to constantly change batteries. She also does research projects for the NWS, so the system needs to be relatively accurate and reliable.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

addchild314

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
Re: Starter Weather Station for Friend
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 09:57:36 AM »
Going just over 3 years with my os wmr968.  I have never changed a battery in my outdoor sensors.  The rechargeable solar units must be doing well. I had my rain gauge apart in the summer, so I tested the backup alkalines, and they were still in the high good range.

Andrew

Hey All,

I have been browsing this forum checking the recommendations for a new starter weather station, but I am still a little lost. I am buying a weather station for a friend of mine, and I know she has wanted one for a long time. I am looking for one with an anemometer, rain gauge, indoor/outdoor temp/humidity, and requires low upkeep. Also, the ability to upload weather data to wunderground. I was looking at the OS WMR968, but have heard mixed reviews about it. I would go with that one, but there are a couple of complications: she lives in an apartment with limited outdoor space; the only open space for the rain gauge/anemometer is the roof, so it is not workable to have to constantly change batteries. She also does research projects for the NWS, so the system needs to be relatively accurate and reliable.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

addchild314

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 10:37:46 AM »
My OS WMR-968 as been just great. Never use the backup AA batteries. I've only replaced the rechargeable packs once in 6 years. If you do choose to go with an OS station. Stay away from the WMR-100.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 11:09:57 AM »
If she does research projects for the NWS, might I suggest she get a top line station?  Perhaps a Davis or RM Young.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline tweatherman

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 02:26:09 PM »
By all means do not go with anything less than a davis for anything to do with the NWS.

Tim
www.localareaweather.com

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 03:33:55 AM »
Stay away from the WMR-100.

I will second that Anthony.

Alan
Alan

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 06:45:04 AM »
How big/tall is the apartment building?  that might throw any NWS accuracy requirements out the window. 
Also how many floors between her apartment and the roof.

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 08:17:09 AM »
If she can even put the anemometer on the roof and she places the rest of the sensors at ground level. She will probably need a station like the david that has repeaters you can use to extend the range of the anemometer. But if I'm not mistaken there are repeaters available for is OS WMR-968. So with the simple mod for resolution and a gain adjustment for wind. The OS would not make her a bad station at all.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline addchild314

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 05:49:56 PM »
By all means do not go with anything less than a davis for anything to do with the NWS.
I would love to, but a Davis is way out of my budget.

How big/tall is the apartment building?  that might throw any NWS accuracy requirements out the window. 
Also how many floors between her apartment and the roof.
The roof is 25 feet off the ground, and there is only 1 floor (and empty attic space) between the roof and the apartment.

Also, I think it would be best if I could put the rain gauge on the roof as well, as there is not enough clear space on the ground for an accurate reading. I do not think that a repeater will be needed, unless the transmission range for the OS is severely diminished by the building.

Thanks for all your input!

Chris

Offline wxkpt

• Kingsport, TN Weather
  • Senior Contributor
  • When The Weather Gets Tough.. Get With The Weather
    • Kingsport, TN Live and Local weather
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 11:16:48 PM »
My OS WMR-968 as been just great. Never use the backup AA batteries. I've only replaced the rechargeable packs once in 6 years. If you do choose to go with an OS station. Stay away from the WMR-100.

Hey Hey Now!! lol I have been running the WMR-100 For well over a year now with out a single glitch and the same batteries   :lol:
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 11:21:14 PM by wxflint »

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 07:59:38 AM »
That seems to be the norm for the WMR-100. It either works or it doesn't. And based on alot of the comments I've seen Most of the time it doesn't.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 05:02:28 AM »
I think the WMR100 is fine, providing it's connected to a computer 24/7, or used as a standalone station.

In my case I don't run my computer 24/7, I close down overnight and that was when the problem arose. Some mornings it would start and others it wouldn't, resulting in me having to power down the station and start again.

I had lengthy discussions with Oregon Scientific UK about this problem, resulting in them giving me a WMR200. I can't imagine them doing that unless they were aware of an inherent problem.

Alan
Alan

Offline offroadjosh

• Davis Vp2 Wireless- VWS 14 P90 Serial Data logger
  • Forecaster
  • Montana Firefighter
    • My Website=)
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2009, 01:45:32 PM »
Also look at the honeywells! I had one of those it was  a really good station, the TE923:)

Josh
Josh Patten

Davis VP2 Wireless -May 2008
VWS 14.00P90\WL 5.9.9/Plus others!
Skywarn trained
CoCoRaHS member
Smith Valley Fire Dept Firefighter:)
http://josh.northwestwx.com/station/usa.htm
CWOP-DW0711
Kestrel 2000 hand held anemometer
Cocorahs 4in rain gauge
Custom co

Offline addchild314

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 11:48:22 AM »
Hey all,

We just got her the WMR968 for her birthday yesterday, and she loved it! It does everything we want it to! The only problem we have with it is that we cant figure out where to put the rain gauge for a reliable reading. Thanks for all your input!

Chris

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 03:27:32 PM »
I'm sure she will get many years of enjoyment from her new hobby. You need to make sure she joins the forum.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

anything