Author Topic: AmbientWeather WS2902A not reporting data  (Read 5134 times)

Offline N7CEE

• Writer
AmbientWeather WS2902A not reporting data
« on: October 15, 2018, 01:10:15 PM »
I've installed a WS-2902A at a remote site and can't get it to update on AmbientWeather.net. I tested this station on my home Wi-Fi before installing it at the remote site and it updated to AmbientWeather and WeatherUnderground with no problems. I have two other WS-2902a's, one at home and another at a remote site and both report.

I've gone through the troubleshooting steps without any results:

Checked the MAC address- it was correct.
Reset the console.
Reset the console to factory defaults. The station will only connect to a 2.4G range extender that I installed. The router is dual band. I don't have access to the router configuration so I've tried using option B in the manual to connect to the router, but it times out.
Power cycled the router.

The Wi-Fi icon on the console shows that it's connected, but no data comes through:

https://dashboard.ambientweather.net/devices/public/27ec3bf8ff644e58e752f25005906906

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Bruce

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: AmbientWeather WS2902A not reporting data
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 01:40:03 PM »
The documentation says to not use WiFi extenders, mesh networks etc. That is probably the problem.

If you could install a cabled WiFi access point on the network that would probably work. You would need your phone to be on the same WiFi access point SSID to configure.

If you are within your return period you could return and exchange for the WS-2000 as that has better control over setting up WiFi connections directly without need of a smartphone to configure, as the need for the phone with the WS-2902A adds complexity and restrictions to the setup.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 01:43:02 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline N7CEE

• Writer
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 02:12:49 PM »
Unfortunately, the station is past its return period. I don't see anything in the manual about Wi-Fi extenders, but it was an attempt to provide a 2.4G connection, since the station won't connect to either SSID on the dual band  router itself. I'll try a WiFi access point before I buy a WS-2000.

I also tried an ObserverIP, but it doesn't show up on the listed of connected devices. It worked with another WS-2902 at a different location.

Thanks,
Bruce

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 10:40:03 PM »
Please see this documentation regarding mesh (extenders) not recommended.
https://ambientweather.net/help/i-cannot-connect-my-ws-2902a-to-wifi/

Also refer to that documentation for further troubleshooting.

The ObserverIP has a few bugs (as of the latest 4.4.7 firmware) which is probably why you never saw it as a listed device on the network.
- It does not pull a DHCP address if you powered it up before plugging in the Ethernet cable. Yeah that's not ideal. I discovered this bug and I'm working with Ambient and Fine Offset to get this resolved in a future firmware.
- I also discovered another network issue that I'm also working on with Ambient and Fine Offset. Even after the ObserverIP pulls a DHCP address it will fail after the DHCP expires as it will not renew the lease neither at the lease's half life as is industry standard practice nor at expiration. So what happens then is the ObserverIP falls off the network momentarily till it detects that it is no longer connected and it then reboots and then gets a new lease. So using a DHCP address at this time is not ideal. It could stay down for up to at least 20 minutes when the DHCP lease expires.

Therefore for the ObserverIP I recommend setting a static IP on the device. Remember to use a static IP address that is either not in the DHCP scope range or remember to also set a reservation to avoid an IP conflict.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 10:43:20 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline N7CEE

• Writer
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 11:15:23 PM »
Thanks very much. I'll try a Wi-Fi AP next time I'm on site, and setting a static IP on the ObserverIP. If those fail then I'll buy a WS-2000. We would really like to have remote wind reporting at that location.

Offline N7CEE

• Writer
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 01:25:28 PM »
Last time I was on site, I disconnected the Wi-Fi extender and again tried to connect the WS-2902A to the router using AWNET. It finds the device and says it's connected, but then times out. I tried both SSID's, one of which must be the 2.4G band and the other 5G, but the same thing happens on both.

I tried setting up m own Wi-Fi access point but the WS-2902A would not connect to it either. However, I discovered that the Wi-Fi on my Android tablet had gone wonky and would not connect to any Wi-Fi, and I ran out of time before I could troubleshoot (I only have about an hour onsite each time- we fly air tours to the place.) Turned out I had to reset the networking on the tablet.

The problem with the ObserverIP is that I can't get to the configuration page to set a static IP without knowing the dynamic address, and as I said in my previous post the nmap scan on my Linux laptop doesn't show the ObserverIP.

I'm reluctant to buy a WS-2000 for the remote site because the ObserverIP is really all we need- we don't have to have a display at the site. But I might try it when Ambient Weather starts selling the console separately.

I brought the ObserverIP home with me last time I was on site, and I have no problems finding the dynamic IP on my home network, and setting a static IP seems to work well.

This is very frustrating because I set up the same station at home to test it, and it worked fine. I've set up two other WS-2902A's and a WS-2000 with no problems at all. Of course, the one that doesn't work has to be the most remote site!

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2018, 02:52:14 PM »
The firmware update tool for the ObserverIP is called IP Tools. Run that and it will find the ObserverIP on the network. You can also look at the router (DHCP server) and see what IP address was handed out to the ObserverIP (look it up matching MAC address that is printed on the ObserverIP).

Seems to me like you may need to reboot the router at that location. Or better yet maybe replace it. You could also have a situation where one of your WiFi mesh devices is connected wrong on the network. There could be more than one device acting as a router or more than one device acting as a DHCP server. That would mess things up big time. Try to scale down the network and disconnect everything but the bare minimum....a router with Internet access and the device you are trying to connect to that network. Remember to not just unplug unused devices but to also power them down as they may be connected via WiFi.
Tele-Pole

Offline N7CEE

• Writer
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2018, 03:14:38 PM »
I'll try IP Tools. I've already tried rebooting the router but it's not my router or network, so I have no control over it or anything else connected to it. The network serves a lodge with about 150 rooms, each with WiFi and an IP phone.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2018, 03:18:02 PM »
150 rooms!!! Well you may be out of IP address space. If the network is using a standard class C then there are only 254 addresses available and that is only if they have made the whole range available as often the DHCP scope is limited to less than 254 to reserve for static devices. If the network is using one of those captive portals then it won't work because you can't authenticate the device on a captive portal. If you can't control the network then its going to be tough. You could set up a double NAT situation (router firewall behind other router firewall) with your own router behind their router.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 03:21:32 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline N7CEE

• Writer
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2018, 12:44:08 PM »
The network has two subnets, and the second one has free addresses, so I should be good to put a static IP there. I have my own wireless AP that I'll try using with the 2902A console, next time I'm on site. If that fails I'll use the wireless AP in client mode, connected to the existing router's WiFi, then I'll try connecting the ObserverIP to the Ethernet port on the AP.

Actually, I tried IP Tools the first time I tried setting up the ObserverIP, and it didn't show it. Next time I'm on site, I'll try IP Tools again, as well as nmap.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Offline N7CEE

• Writer
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2018, 01:09:58 PM »
Just FYI, the site is Monument Valley Airport, UT25, at Gouldings Lodge. Our company flies air tours there. Because of the nearby high cliffs, strong south to west winds cause dangerous turbulence, and if the wind's too strong, we go to Kayenta Aiport instead. Unfortunately, that adds an hour to the ground tour and often disrupts our schedule. With remote wind reporting, it would be easier to decide whether to send flights to Gouldings or not.

Here's an aerial view of the airport (the lodge is at the base of the cliffs.)

« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 01:39:07 PM by N7CEE »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2018, 01:34:19 PM »
Nice picture. Looks like your second attachment didn't work as both are the same picture. When posting multiple pictures you need to click on the link called "(more attachments)" to be presented with a second "Choose File" button for the next image. Then make sure you select different file names. Both attachments are the same name.

So just don't tell anyone that their life depends on an economical Chinese weather station.  :-P

The more I hear of that network the more interesting it gets. So now there are two subnets? Ummm....well can you make a diagram of this network and its address space? What are the subnets, is one a voice subnet? What are their purposes? You didn't clarify if there is a captive portal or not. If you decide to put in your own router to create yet another subnet for your private use you'll want to know what both of the other subnets are so that you don't use that address space or you may end up with routing problems.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 01:36:12 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline N7CEE

• Writer
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2018, 01:46:23 PM »
I'm having trouble with attachments for some reason. I'm using more attachments but getting [Invalid attachement] in the preview.

Our piiots are well aware that it won't be an NWS-certified weather station. But it will be better than calling the lodge and asking how strong the wind is! "Uh, strong. I guess...."

Seriously, we check the windsocks before landing, and if a pilot isn't totally comfortable with the approach, diverts to Kayenta. It would just be better to make the decision before launching from Grand Canyon or Page.

Anyway, at least I have some ideas for my next visit- thanks!

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2018, 02:23:12 PM »
From looking at your last image it seems to me like that lodge is too far away from the landing strip and it is too close to the foot of the cliffs to get any meaningful wind readings. Why not put the station at the airstrip? If there is no Internet there you can get a cellular uplink.

I'd recommend this if you are looking for something somewhat in the price range of the Ambient station:
https://www.amazon.com/ECOWITT-WH6006E-Wireless-Cellular-Monitoring/dp/B07D21SFCS/

That is another Fine Offset clone just like Ambient Weather station that you are using. It is even compatible with your existing ObserverIP and displays. So I've been told by contacting Ecowitt.
Tele-Pole

Offline N7CEE

• Writer
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2018, 02:32:50 PM »
I'll look into that. The station is on the airstrip, at the hangar. I was trying to attach a picture but it didn't work.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2018, 02:41:07 PM »
I'm confused. If the station is at the airstrip then why are we discussing the lodge's network with 150 rooms and 2 subnets?
Tele-Pole

Offline N7CEE

• Writer
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2018, 04:53:01 PM »
The router at the hangar is in a room used by pilots on standby. The router there is part of the lodge network.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2018, 05:34:17 PM »
Wow the lodge is 2,000 feet away and its one network (Google Maps measurement). It's like a campus LAN with fiber runs (or maybe it's microwave). That really sounds like an interesting network. There are so many more things that come to mind that could be a challenge. When you are dealing with a device like these weather stations that are really designed with the home user in mind they often are not tested for more enterprise level type networks. Not that it couldn't work but rather that there are sometimes complexities that need to dealt with.

Who manages that network?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 05:53:05 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2018, 05:47:16 PM »
When you are dealing with a device like these weather stations that are really designed with the home user in mind they often are not tested for more enterprise level type networks. Not that it couldn't work but rather that there are sometimes complexities that need to dealt with.
The Davis advantage ;)

Enjoy,
Paul

anything