Author Topic: WiFiLogger - Connect your Davis console directly to the Internet via WiFi  (Read 109459 times)

Offline Bobvelle

• Contributor
    • Fairfield Weather Station
Re: WiFiLogger - Connect your Davis console directly to the Internet via WiFi
« Reply #575 on: October 09, 2018, 07:50:01 PM »
hi Wojtek.

Been up and running about 4 months now. Updating on a regular basis. I was using v120 and noticed v123 was out, so I updated the firmware and .. well now Weatherlink.com (I use Weatherlink IP) account has no archive data. I updated the firmware about 9:45 Pm last night. All archive data stopped at 9:45 PM.

It's only weatherlink though, all other weather sites I download to are showing all current data and history as usual. So I went back to firmware v 120 and all is good now. Any Idea whats Up?

BTW: My WL Bulletin page showed current conditions except for the barometer. It was stuck at 29.883 in/hg the whole time.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #576 on: October 12, 2018, 11:33:17 AM »
I have a couple of strange things -
1.  It appears that my local IP address for WiFiLogger has changed.  Now when I use 192.168.0.25 (which has been the IP) it asks for user name and password and is for a different device on my network.  I have tried all IPs from 192.168.0.10 to 192.168.0.40 and have not found the correct one for WiFiLogger.

2. WiFiLogger continues to update WU http://www.pwsweather.com/obs/KOMOKA2.html but sometimes at longer than the set 5 min interval so not a big deal.  However PWS, CWOP, WL and others are only updating occasionally - sometimes hours in between like http://www.pwsweather.com/obs/KOMOKA2.html

Any suggestion on how I can connect to the WiFiLogger settings, etc?

Paul

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #577 on: October 12, 2018, 12:17:07 PM »
I assume you had it set for dynamic IP?  Log into your router to see connected devices and their IPs.  Ping accordingly.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline pfletch101

• Forecaster
    • Personal Website
« Reply #578 on: October 12, 2018, 12:36:31 PM »
1.  It appears that my local IP address for WiFiLogger has changed.  Now when I use 192.168.0.25 (which has been the IP) it asks for user name and password and is for a different device on my network.  I have tried all IPs from 192.168.0.10 to 192.168.0.40 and have not found the correct one for WiFiLogger.

Paul
There are two possibilities. One is that you have assigned a fixed IP address to the Logger in its own setup, but the network's DHCP server (which, of course, has no way of knowing this!) has now assigned that address to another device. Alternatively, you may simply be allowing the DHCP server, which is usually associated with the router, to assign the WiFiLogger's address 'at random' rather than specifying (preferably in the router's control panel rather than on the Logger itself!) a fixed address.
Assuming the latter, if you login to the router's control panel (usually at 192.168.n.1, where n is zero for your network), you should be able to see what address is assigned to the Logger and to specify an address for it to use in future. If you then reboot the router and the Logger (in that order), it should continue to use the address you have set for the future.
If you originally set the fixed address 'locally' on the Logger, and the router now has something else at that address, as well, the easiest solution is likely to be to disconnect the 'interfering' device, and reboot the router and Logger, when you should be able to access it again. When you can do this, set the logger back to its default of getting its IP address from the router and proceed as above to specify a fixed address for it in the router's control panel.
Vantage Pro 2+ connected to Raspberry Pi running weewx by means of Meteo-Pi - data incorporated in domestic energy production (PV) and use monitoring system.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #579 on: October 13, 2018, 02:19:59 AM »
hi Wojtek.
Been up and running about 4 months now. Updating on a regular basis. I was using v120 and noticed v123 was out, so I updated the firmware and .. well now Weatherlink.com (I use Weatherlink IP) account has no archive data. I updated the firmware about 9:45 Pm last night. All archive data stopped at 9:45 PM.
It's only weatherlink though, all other weather sites I download to are showing all current data and history as usual. So I went back to firmware v 120 and all is good now. Any Idea whats Up?
BTW: My WL Bulletin page showed current conditions except for the barometer. It was stuck at 29.883 in/hg the whole time.

My fault. I have now original IP logger. I have made some test on it and I put results into WFL.
Before that, all connections were made like WL PC with some little differences.
Probably you don't have arch data, because of my mistake. I will return to this section and check once more.

If you switch to WL PC mode, then all should be fine.
Main difference is WL PC has ACTIVATION button which is needed to start new account, but also it's erase current data on WL.COM.
WL IP is sending this ACTIVATION data on reboot. Normally when WL IP is being restarted then it's sending this ACTIVATION frame and receive current time to setup. That's also erase current data on WL.COM.

Barometer needs some time to make chart. I don't know exactly why sometimes it's working bad. I am also sendig ACTIVATION request when barometer stuck, then all current data are erased and barometer is running ok.
After ACTIVATION barometer needs some time to make chart.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 02:25:36 AM by WiFiLogger »

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #580 on: October 13, 2018, 02:29:01 AM »

2. WiFiLogger continues to update WU http://www.pwsweather.com/obs/KOMOKA2.html but sometimes at longer than the set 5 min interval so not a big deal.  However PWS, CWOP, WL and others are only updating occasionally - sometimes hours in between like http://www.pwsweather.com/obs/KOMOKA2.html

Paul

You can push red button for 3 sec. and then open network will occure "WiFiLoggerSetup" when you log to this network you can always use 192.168.4.1 to open web service of WFL and in NETWORK INFO section you will find your local IP. Remember to reboot WFL after that, otherwise no exports will be done.

Other easy way to achieve IP address is to use WeatherLink if you have. There is an option to search WL IP in local network.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #581 on: October 13, 2018, 02:37:34 AM »

Paul
There are two possibilities. One is that you have assigned a fixed IP address to the Logger in its own setup, but the network's DHCP server (which, of course, has no way of knowing this!) has now assigned that address to another device. Alternatively, you may simply be allowing the DHCP server, which is usually associated with the router, to assign the WiFiLogger's address 'at random' rather than specifying (preferably in the router's control panel rather than on the Logger itself!) a fixed address.
Assuming the latter, if you login to the router's control panel (usually at 192.168.n.1, where n is zero for your network), you should be able to see what address is assigned to the Logger and to specify an address for it to use in future. If you then reboot the router and the Logger (in that order), it should continue to use the address you have set for the future.
If you originally set the fixed address 'locally' on the Logger, and the router now has something else at that address, as well, the easiest solution is likely to be to disconnect the 'interfering' device, and reboot the router and Logger, when you should be able to access it again. When you can do this, set the logger back to its default of getting its IP address from the router and proceed as above to specify a fixed address for it in the router's control panel.

Thats right. You can have two devices with same IP address. That makes a lot of problems. When you trying to log to this IP, then once you have luck to log to first one, then after a few sec. you are connected to second.
Example. You have log to WFL web page, but when you trying to save some settings those can be send to second device with same IP address.

Routers have very nice feature called DHCP. This service server IP addresses to devices when those are being connected.
Without that you should write all network settings manually. IP, netmask, gateway, dns.
You have to check DHCP range and for static IP you should use addresses beyond range.

Offline weatheroz

• Senior Contributor
    • http://www.jimboombaweather.com
« Reply #582 on: October 13, 2018, 04:45:31 AM »
Wow, where has this one been.

I've had problems with my Weatherlink IP since April, and no amount of help from Davis, albeit very little help has changed anything.

Emails to Davis getting returned take weeks at times, and still have no luck with either of my WLIP's.

Time to order one of these to get my station going again.
Brendan,
vk4blp
IRLP 6857 Echolink 672767

Offline Lars_Olsson

« Reply #583 on: October 13, 2018, 12:06:40 PM »
Changed my loggingtime from 3 to 10 minutes and got loctime = 1617469200. What happened????? (Sat 3 2021 17:00)

Since I parse the data into db I check if new time is bigger than old time, I didn't get any data. Strange....

Offline stefano90

« Reply #584 on: October 15, 2018, 04:47:42 AM »
Hello, I have a question.

If I want to upload in Wifi Logger a modified version of html pages, how much memory do I have available?

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #585 on: October 15, 2018, 03:57:21 PM »
Changed my loggingtime from 3 to 10 minutes and got loctime = 1617469200. What happened????? (Sat 3 2021 17:00)
Since I parse the data into db I check if new time is bigger than old time, I didn't get any data. Strange....
I will rewrite NTP function. Something is wrong with this feature. At this moment is async function. I will put it into queue. I hope that will help.
I can't abandon this feature in WFL, because console don't have RTC calendar chip with battery. WFL don't have it either. NTP feature is very needed. I have to make it right.

Hello, I have a question.
If I want to upload in Wifi Logger a modified version of html pages, how much memory do I have available?

All WFL units has 4MB(32mbit) flash memory. Organization at this moment is:
1MB for program
3MB flash disk for files
but I will change that soon. Why? 1MB is for program, but it's divided. 0.5MB is for old firmware, 0.5MB is for new firmware this is a switch zone. When new firmware is uploaded correctly, then firmware can be switched, space disk is needed for that operation. WFL firmware is almost 0.5MB. There is two choices. Don't make changes in WFL firmware, or makes users some little problems.
I will have to change it to 2MB/2MB version. That is a small problem, because firmware will erase HTML files and settings. WFL user will have to use little manual to put on feet WFL. Upload HTML files with special interface + restore all settings. That is 100% unprofessional, but will have to happen.

Your answer is: you have 2MB(3MB for now) for my HTML files and yours. Mine are 128KB now, rest of space is for you.
Please upload this edit.html file from attachment. That will give you interface to administrate this little 2/3MB space.
just go to http://WFL_IP/edit ot http://WFL_ip/edit.html

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #586 on: October 18, 2018, 10:29:19 AM »

Paul

Thats right. You can have two devices with same IP address. That makes a lot of problems. When you trying to log to this IP, then once you have luck to log to first one, then after a few sec. you are connected to second.
Example. You have log to WFL web page, but when you trying to save some settings those can be send to second device with same IP address.

Routers have very nice feature called DHCP. This service server IP addresses to devices when those are being connected.
Without that you should write all network settings manually. IP, netmask, gateway, dns.
You have to check DHCP range and for static IP you should use addresses beyond range.

Paul

Back to the same problem.  I had pressed WiFiLogger red button and no change.  I did a complete shut down and power off of the Modem/Router and then got WiFiLigger back to 192.168.0.25 so all was good then. 

During the time that I could not find WiFiLogger IP the WU updates were occurring mostly at the 5 min interval and occasionally at a bit longer.  However all the other uploads, PWS, WL, CWOP were only updating with most times hours in between.  When it was back at 192.168.0.25 all the updates were occurring again at the 5 min interval.

Then yesterday, as Wojtek had cautioned, the IP address changed again and can't find/access WiFiLogger and the uploads are again hours apart except WU updates which continue at the 5 min interval or close to it.

I really don't understand DHCP and static or fixed or other IP setting, nor most of the Hitron modem setting options.  WiFiLogger had just been working perfect for months until this started over the past week.  I have periodically gone in the modem/router settings and looked at the IP address for the various devices and have seen MAC address to be usually consistent but the IP addresses, at least the ones that show, to vary often except two: my weather computer is always at .13 and my Blitzortung is at .16.  I think I had some guidance in the past from somewhere where to set the computer fixed IP and also from the Blitzortung assistance.

I likely can get WiFiLogger back to a known IP by re-powering the modem/router but expect it would change later on.  So exactly how/where could I set a fixed IP for WiFiLogger?  I have looked in settings but can't see where/how to do that.

Also what could be the reason that WU http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=IMIDDLES37  continues to be updated  but others like PWS http://www.pwsweather.com/obs/KOMOKA2.html and CWOP http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxpage.cgi?call=FW2530 only occasionally.

Thanks for any further help,

Paul

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #588 on: October 18, 2018, 01:11:11 PM »
Back to the same problem.  I had pressed WiFiLogger red button and no change.  I did a complete shut down and power off of the Modem/Router and then got WiFiLigger back to 192.168.0.25 so all was good then. 
During the time that I could not find WiFiLogger IP the WU updates were occurring mostly at the 5 min interval and occasionally at a bit longer.  However all the other uploads, PWS, WL, CWOP were only updating with most times hours in between.  When it was back at 192.168.0.25 all the updates were occurring again at the 5 min interval.
Then yesterday, as Wojtek had cautioned, the IP address changed again and can't find/access WiFiLogger and the uploads are again hours apart except WU updates which continue at the 5 min interval or close to it.
I really don't understand DHCP and static or fixed or other IP setting, nor most of the Hitron modem setting options.  WiFiLogger had just been working perfect for months until this started over the past week.  I have periodically gone in the modem/router settings and looked at the IP address for the various devices and have seen MAC address to be usually consistent but the IP addresses, at least the ones that show, to vary often except two: my weather computer is always at .13 and my Blitzortung is at .16.  I think I had some guidance in the past from somewhere where to set the computer fixed IP and also from the Blitzortung assistance.
I likely can get WiFiLogger back to a known IP by re-powering the modem/router but expect it would change later on.  So exactly how/where could I set a fixed IP for WiFiLogger?  I have looked in settings but can't see where/how to do that.
Also what could be the reason that WU http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=IMIDDLES37  continues to be updated  but others like PWS http://www.pwsweather.com/obs/KOMOKA2.html and CWOP http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxpage.cgi?call=FW2530 only occasionally.
Thanks for any further help,
Paul
[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Just switch DHCP to DISABLE, then IP number will be used this from this form beneath.
Paul set address like 192.168.0.250 this should be empty.
IP address problem is one of the assumptions.
When you will be able to open WFL web page, please check sleep mode in SETUP|SYSTEM. Should be disable.
Please go to info page and check uptime. You have to observe if your WIFI is not rebooting.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #589 on: October 18, 2018, 02:24:49 PM »
I re-powered the router and then 192.168.0.25 was WiFiLogger.  I then changed WiFi Settings to [Disable] and IP: from 192.168.0.25 to 192.168.0.250.  I am now able to get to the logger as 192.168.0.250 nd the 5 min interval updates are all working again.  The Sleep mode was/is disable.

Still very confused in my router settings and what is shown as WAN/LAN IP's and MAC but as long as it works...

Thanks for the guidance,
Paul

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #590 on: October 18, 2018, 02:37:00 PM »
Another router settings question.  In my router WAN/LAN IP settings I had-
Enable LAN DHCP: enabled

Lease time: 1 day - could this be changed to "forever" option?
DHCP start IP: 192.168.0.10
DHCP end IP:  192.168.0.199 and should this now be changed to 192.168.0.250 as I changed WiFiLogger IP to 192.168.0.250?

Thanks again,Paul

Offline weatheroz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #591 on: October 18, 2018, 06:59:14 PM »

DHCP end IP:  192.168.0.199 and should this now be changed to 192.168.0.250 as I changed WiFiLogger IP to 192.168.0.250?

If you have made your WiFiLogger to a static ip, i.e. 192.168.0.250 , then the DHCP end IP should NOT include that static IP address.

Why?  it could theoretically allocate that address to something else, then neither that item or your WiFiLogger would connect to anything.

So leaving it as 192.168.0.199 will be perfectly okay. :)
Brendan,
vk4blp

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #592 on: October 22, 2018, 06:49:22 PM »
Nothing happened here, so I will try to translate a joke.

A group of women came to the meeting.

There was nothing to talk about, because they all came.

Offline Lars_Olsson

« Reply #593 on: October 26, 2018, 10:13:49 AM »
Finally got some rain here.
Console reporting 114mm/h, logger 0mm.
Console reporting 3mm last hour, logger 1mm.
logger, Stormrain, 3mm.
Cumulus reporting 3mm last hour.

Daily high wind at 00:12 1,3m/s
Cumulus 04:35 1,3m/s

I could have made some mistake, but I checked and checked.....

What is the latest version of SW?

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #594 on: October 26, 2018, 10:27:24 AM »
logger, Stormrain, 3mm.

1.23 I don't have newer, but will be.
Using which export method do you use?
Please note that JSON export is in console native units. You have F, mph, inch.

Offline Lars_Olsson

« Reply #595 on: October 26, 2018, 12:06:42 PM »
logger, Stormrain, 3mm.

Jason, the other file doesn't upload.
Recalculating to mm.

Offline weatheroz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #596 on: October 26, 2018, 08:49:17 PM »
Got mine from Prodata just the other day, and got it all working.

However I thought I should upgrade my VP2 firmware from 3.15 to 3.80, it fails to complete the firmware upgrade.

It reads the console to tell it that it's on the 3.15 firmware, and let's me go ahead with it.

Comes up with the error :-
Problem entering boot section, check fuse bits!

Is this something Davis requires, one of their genuine WLIP's or is there something else ?

I've got two failed Davis WLIP's here, so I can't use either of them to try it out.
Brendan,
vk4blp

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #597 on: October 27, 2018, 05:48:55 AM »
Got mine from Prodata just the other day, and got it all working.

However I thought I should upgrade my VP2 firmware from 3.15 to 3.80, it fails to complete the firmware upgrade.

It reads the console to tell it that it's on the 3.15 firmware, and let's me go ahead with it.

Is this something Davis requires, one of their genuine WLIP's or is there something else ?

I've got two failed Davis WLIP's here, so I can't use either of them to try it out.

Console is still working or it is not?
"Problem entering boot section, check fuse bits!" this is from Davis update tool? Or from console?

You should go to SETUP|SYSTEM and change TCP port mode to AUTO PAUSE. I need to change AUTO PAUSE to be default.

1. Set Auto Pause
2. power off, then power on console with logger
3. run Davis update tool again.

I have tried this many times with success and with interference. All work perfectly. After fail you are able to make it again and again.

Let us know if everything is alright.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #598 on: October 27, 2018, 06:12:26 AM »
logger, Stormrain, 3mm.

Jason, the other file doesn't upload.
Recalculating to mm.

Lars probably you are the only user of this JSON file up to date.
Do you use Cumulus and WFL exports in same time?

Offline weatheroz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #599 on: October 27, 2018, 07:36:16 AM »

Console is still working or it is not?
"Problem entering boot section, check fuse bits!" this is from Davis update tool? Or from console?

You should go to SETUP|SYSTEM and change TCP port mode to AUTO PAUSE. I need to change AUTO PAUSE to be default.

1. Set Auto Pause
2. power off, then power on console with logger
3. run Davis update tool again.

I have tried this many times with success and with interference. All work perfectly. After fail you are able to make it again and again.

Let us know if everything is alright.

Console did initially lock up, but power cycle brought it back.

Step 2, remove battery and power from console then reconnect.... done.

I Find local id okay, then start it.

sometimes comes up can't find, then other times it finds it okay.

still getting that initial error.

My VP2 has Bootware 1.2

Brendan,
vk4blp

anything