Author Topic: Reception Diagnostic Screen 2 signal strength  (Read 807 times)

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Reception Diagnostic Screen 2 signal strength
« on: August 23, 2015, 08:50:23 AM »
Quick question,if someone knows the answer...

On the 2nd screen (on a VUE console) there is a "signal strength of last packet received successfully" in the upper RH corner. (in dBm)

I am using a repeater (another story posted elsewhere on WxForum). My question:

Is this measurement refer to "as received by the repeater" and passed through to the console? Or is it repeater-to-console? I would expect higher numbers than I am seeing (-80dBm to -70dBm) if it was repeater-to-console. Some packets are dashed out "----".

There was a mention about RSSI and the need for putting the repeater test mode with DIP#4. Does the test mode on the repeater affect this console reading?

What am I really seeing here?

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: Reception Diagnostic Screen 2 signal strength
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 09:43:15 AM »
From memory (but worth double-checking in the relevant manuals):

The RSSI figure in the second diagnostics screen is as received at the console from the last transmitter in the chain (ie repeater I think in this case).

If DIP #4 is on at the repeater then the wind direction (but not speed) within the compass rose on the main console display shows the RSSI received at the repeater. NB I've only ever tried this with a standard VP2 console - not 100% sure whether or not the same is true of the Vue. If you have a VP2 console available then it might be better to use this - it's a little easier to interpret the RSSI numbers (which are on the 0-60 scale on the VP2 console rather than the raw dBm figures).
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline rdsman

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 11:59:51 AM »

What am I really seeing here?

The second diagnostic screen does in fact show the RSSI for what ever the Vue is receiving from.  In your case, the RSSI received from your repeater.  In this mode it has nothing to do with the RSSI value that the repeater received from the VP2 ISS.

I don't have a real Davis repeater, so I can't confirm the other mode (Dip switch 4).

I can offer this:

My Vue console and the ISS are both currently in my workshop.  They are both powered by AC adapters.  They are separated horizontally by 8 feet and on the same vertical plane.  The RSSI ranges anywhere from -38 to -61 at initial startup.   The initial frequency correction starts around -12 and very slowly gets better and better.  The RSSI then ranges from -37 to -43.

It I put my ISS back on my chimney (single story house) then I'm in the -70's after it has settled down.

Ray

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 12:29:06 PM »
Thanks for the responses.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1