Author Topic: how to mount rain gauge?  (Read 5939 times)

Offline Den

how to mount rain gauge?
« on: August 19, 2007, 08:21:02 PM »
I just received the wireless Lacrosse weather station,  model 2315 AL. I am going through the installation manuals and I do not see how they want the rain gauge "mounted"   there is no provisions for fastening with screws or sticky tape.
It appears to want to just stand there,  but I am thinking the wind will blow it over,  or away.  Am I missing something?   there is no place on heavyweather.info website to email a question to the LaCrosse people.
The thermo/hygro unit and wind gauge have provisions for mounting with hardware.  
am I missing something?
Den

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
    • WUHU Software Yahoo Group
Re: how to mount rain gauge?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 08:53:45 AM »
Quote from: "Den"
I just received the wireless Lacrosse weather station,  model 2315 AL. I am going through the installation manuals and I do not see how they want the rain gauge "mounted"   there is no provisions for fastening with screws or sticky tape.
It appears to want to just stand there,  but I am thinking the wind will blow it over,  or away.  Am I missing something?   there is no place on heavyweather.info website to email a question to the LaCrosse people.
The thermo/hygro unit and wind gauge have provisions for mounting with hardware.  
am I missing something?
Den

Den,

If you look at the bottom of the unit, there are a couple tabs to remove the cover from the unit.

Push back the tabs with a screw driver, and remove the cover slowly. There is a rocker mechanism inside that can easily be damaged.

Once you remove the cover, you will see there are a some screw holes in the base. You can also use zip ties to hold the base to whatever platform you have.

The cover snaps back on.

Good luck.

Offline Den

Re: how to mount rain gauge?
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 10:17:11 PM »
I sure am gratefull for your reply.  I had seen the tabs, yet the base/cover looks so seamless,  I was afraid to go prying on it.  I got the unit secured now,  (I was concerned the wind would knock it over and disrupt the paddles).
We have had a lot of mist and drizzle for a few days straight now,  I had my weather station set up for 24 hours now.  I noticed on the history data page that at times the cumulative rain total was increasing by 3 or 4 Hundreths !! I am impressed with the sensitivity of the measurement. The first 12 hours of my rain total,  matched that of my Uncles traditional glass tube rain gauge.
Thanks again for your responce to my question.
Den