Author Topic: list of variables that WD can use in the customtext.txt file to produce output?  (Read 1787 times)

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
A couple years ago I had a text file of all the variables that WD can read in the customtext.txt file to output the output file,for instance in comma delimited file, of weather and time and date variables.

The customtext.txt file is the one with %date-year% as one of many in a string.

I can't remember the name of the file with all the descriptors,and a search here and a scan of the FAQ on Brian's site didn't help me much.

Can anyone jog my memory or know where it is in the WD directory after installation?

Thx.  Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
Dale,

If my memory is any good, I seem to remember that Ken (saratogawx) had a document on his website in the scripts area that described all of the data elements for both WD and VWS. I just looked quickly but can't find it either. Perhaps Ken will chime in here with an answer...
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
    • My PWS at Leuven Belgium Europe
In every WD download there is a tagslist.txt file in the C:\wdisplay\ folder with all the tags for that release.
It also has some documentation for every tag.
Example
%date-year% .............Current year

Wim

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
A key thing was to know the name of the file.

For reasons unknown, I cannot find taglist.txt on the computer that runs my WD, nor on a couple others which I had a list, that list I assume.

Nonetheless, I have gremlins of all sorts, so I'm not losing sleep over it, but am VERY GRATEFUL for those who took the time to tell me the name, and now I have found the reference. 

THANKS!

Now, another mystery.

I posted the request here.  Shortly after that I got a reply notice, a very nice person by the nom d' plume Niko.  That notice came in as an email to my email address that a message had been posted, which was also in the email.  When I went to reply, it didn't allow me to.  Very strange, I thought.  Then I noticed that the reply came from a weather board called Weather-Watch, which looks all the world in layout and function like WxForum!

That explains how I couldn't reply since I wasn't registered on that board, but unless Niko read the message on WxForum and then somehow replied via Weather-Watch, how in the world did the two get intertwined?

Whatever the reason, I am very appreciative of Niko's taking the time to get me started on the correct path. I had looked at all the names of the .txt files in my WD directories and didn't find the needed file, but there are resources on the internet for me to reference.  Also, I have installed the updates for WD through 316 so why that file didn't come along is a bit weird. 

On last question for this go around.  I did put a customtext.txt file in my webfiles directory and did go to Setup and Log area to check the green box on, yet there are no customtextout.txt files in my webfiles subdirectory overnight.  Nor does a search show any on my computer.  Is there another checkbox somewhere I need to tick in order to get it generating this file?  Do I have to restart WD for it to configure itself to begin generating the OUT file?  I didn't see anything in the Actions tab that looked like it should cause this to be done, like the Update Internet function does.

Thanks for the hand holding.   Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
    • My PWS at Leuven Belgium Europe
You should also register at the WeatherWatch forum.
There are links to numerous YouTube movies created by Brian, the author of WD.  And more difficult questions are answered by the author very rapidly.

Check also the first sticky post in this board by sartatogaWX: http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=12351.0 The official Weather-Display forum isn't this one...

Missing file:
This is from the "Weather Display ,.zip update  v 10.37R Build 320"  version download

Wim
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 07:57:48 AM by wvdkuil »

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
That's odd Dale that you dont have the taglist.txt file.
Did you do an update to WD to get up to 316 or download the full install?

Niko is one of the mods on the Weather-Display forum and a good guy too.
Tony

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
I usually just do the update, so if the file is included with full download, then that might explain how I didn't get a full refresh.

Again, the great replies and support here has been great.

I'll join Weather Watch, too, I didn't know there was more to be had than here, so great.

Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php