Author Topic: WMR100 console to WMR200 console.  (Read 12429 times)

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
WMR100 console to WMR200 console.
« on: September 16, 2011, 09:22:42 PM »
I'm planning on retiring my WMR100's console. The barometer is drifting, the atomic clock doesn't work that well anymore, and the screen cover is cracked. I would like to view rain, UV, and air pressure at the same time. Plus I like the data logger idea. And the WMR200 can be mounted on a vertical surface. And I like the touch screen display. So maybe this November I'l replace it with a WMR200 console. I assume they all work on the 3.0 series sensors which includes all the newer WMR--- sensors. At least that's what Oregon Scientific told me.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
Re: WMR100 console to WMR200 console.
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 10:48:17 PM »
yes, that is correct
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 02:06:26 AM »
I have both the 100 and 200 consoles receiving signal from one set of sensors. :-)

Alan
Alan

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 10:01:50 PM »
Thank you guys. Sometime around Chirstmas I'l be ordering a WMR200 display. The WMR100, I'l probably put that in another room.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 10:05:39 PM by mckTXaws »

I am a storm chaser.

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 03:08:21 AM »
That is what I did for a while, but since I bought the Vue. I have now retired the 100 and just have the 200 console in the kitchen. The Vue is in the study connected to a computer and to be honest, the OS is just as reliable as the Davis. In fact the rain data is more accurate because the Davis does miss some rain during high winds, which I have mentioned in previous posts elsewhere on the forum.

Good luck with your 200, I know you will notice a difference between the two. Contrary to a lot of other people's opinions, I believe OS equipment to be very good value for money and here in the UK their after sales service has been brilliant, unfortunately, the same can't be said for Davis in my experience.

Alan
Alan

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 04:09:25 AM »
I know what you mean. I've got my WMR100A anemometer located next to my Vantage Pro2's anemometer sometimes the OS records but not the VP2 sometimes the VP2 records but not the OS. The Pro2 seems to get the wind speeds the WMR100 misses. My rain gauges are located above the fence so they all have to deal with the wind. But that's to avoid the sprinklers. Didn't want to get errored data, especially when it goes to Wunderground and CWOP. The VP2's ISS has to be mounted where the anemometer cable reaches. I had to mounted it kinda high because of radiative and convective heating from surrounding pavement I don't have a choice. The OS get's it's temperature from 2 THGR810's located in the garden. The thermo/hygro in the wind sensor failed a while back. The UV sensor I found starts out under reading the UV index when new, but over time it's accuracy improves. I didn't notice the WMR100's barometer drifting untill I cheaked MADIS QC and got an X for air pressure. Taking into account the console hasn't been moved, there have been no changes to the room, no open windows, No elevation changes, nothing has really happened to effect the air pressure. So I think it's just drifting. I mean it's a little over 4 years old. But I think the WMR200 will be good. I really like the touch screen and data logging features.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline andyt8

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 07:15:30 AM »
That is what I did for a while, but since I bought the Vue. I have now retired the 100 and just have the 200 console in the kitchen. The Vue is in the study connected to a computer and to be honest, the OS is just as reliable as the Davis. In fact the rain data is more accurate because the Davis does miss some rain during high winds, which I have mentioned in previous posts elsewhere on the forum.

Good luck with your 200, I know you will notice a difference between the two. Contrary to a lot of other people's opinions, I believe OS equipment to be very good value for money and here in the UK their after sales service has been brilliant, unfortunately, the same can't be said for Davis in my experience.

Alan

Hi - is that after sales direct from the company or an OS dealer ?  I only ask as I was given a WMR100 but find the built in temp/humidity sensor very variable. I had one problem when the two readings seemed "linked" in that as the humidity went up near 90% then the temp reading went anything upto 5 celcius high.  Just recently the temp was showing 3 celcius high.  Luckily dismantling the unit and cleaning the sensors  and then re-assembling has seemed to cure it. It does get rather damp and green inside over the year.

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 02:28:23 AM »
I found that OS customer service replied to my queries eventually. However, the best way to get a problem sorted is to contact the OS sales team, who will respond by return. At the time I was having problems with my 100, Andy Bartrem was the sales manager and was very helpful and even upgraded my 100 to a 200 at no extra cost.

PS. Had a quick look at the OS site and I'm not sure that Andy is still with them, it was 2008 when I last contacted him. However, the sales email address is as follows:- sales@oregonuk.com.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 07:48:42 AM by killwilly »
Alan

Offline stu-in-flag

• Contributor
    • stu-in-flag
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 07:58:27 AM »
I'm planning on retiring my WMR100's console. The barometer is drifting, the atomic clock doesn't work that well anymore, and the screen cover is cracked. I would like to view rain, UV, and air pressure at the same time. Plus I like the data logger idea. And the WMR200 can be mounted on a vertical surface. And I like the touch screen display. So maybe this November I'l replace it with a WMR200 console. I assume they all work on the 3.0 series sensors which includes all the newer WMR--- sensors. At least that's what Oregon Scientific told me.

How do you find out if the you have the right sensor series to work with the WMR200 console? Also, does the 200 console have better reliability with respect to the data link with the computer?

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 12:28:51 PM »
Also, does the 200 console have better reliability with respect to the data link with the computer?
one good thing is it doesnt suffer the problem of the WMR100, where the WMR100 needs to be reset when it stops communicating with the PC periodicly
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2011, 05:09:11 PM »
How do you find out if the you have the right sensor series to work with the WMR200 console? Also, does the 200 console have better reliability with respect to the data link with the computer?
...both the WMR100 and WMR200 use the newer Protocol #3 transmission sensors.

As for "...data link..." reliability, I have NO problem receiving "over-the-air" data from five remote TEMP/RH% sensors. However, I was having serious USB "drop-out" problems randomly occuring between the WMR200 console and WSDL software for awhile.

But, I think that I've isolated the problem (but not 100% sure): do NOT use an "add-in" USB interface card port; only use a USB port that is directly connected to computer buss system. The interface card USB ports seem to periodically "drop-out" whereas (so far) the PC-USB ports haven't had "drop-outs."
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 05:20:46 PM by Old Tele man »
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2011, 05:45:44 PM »

Havn't got it yet. IDK. The sensors end in 800 or 810 and have the 3.0 logo on the front. I like the data logger feature.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 12:45:43 AM »
I've changed my mind about getting the WMR200 console. Instead I'm thinking of just getting the complete WMR200 station. The way I see it my WMR100a has served me well for the years I've had it. The 4 in 1 sensor unit has survived a 14ft drop, hail storms, icy weather, hot weather, just about everything and still going strong. The rain gauge the same. It's chiped from hail. The screen is starting to rust. All the plastic is yellowed. 180$ I can replace the console. 100$ more I can replace the whole thing with a brand new WMR200 station. So that will most likely be my next step. At least now I can get the thermo/hygro and wind closer together but not being one unit and run both on solar. I believe the solar only powers during the day but doesn't store power. Just extends the battery life by providing power durring longer days. Even without solar the batteries in the sensor units seem to last for a year and a half. At least since I last replaced them.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2011, 07:30:32 AM »
I had to make a similar decision a week ago. My 200 console USB failed, then the anemometer followed, so the console was $180, the anemometer was $75 or $255, with a bit of luck I found a complete new 200 on eBay for $234 delivered. My intentions are to go to Davis late next year.

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2011, 11:30:11 PM »
I had to make a similar decision a week ago. My 200 console USB failed, then the anemometer followed, so the console was $180, the anemometer was $75 or $255, with a bit of luck I found a complete new 200 on eBay for $234 delivered. My intentions are to go to Davis late next year.
Yea I know how you feal. I have a Vantage Pro2 since February. Some may ask why I'm buying a WMR200 when I have a Vantage Pro2. The answer is, I like to compair and contrast data. Somethings I like about the WMR200 are the touch screen display. Sometimes even buttons can be tricky. I like the sensor array with the solar for custom setup on my tower with the VP2 anemometer. I also like the built in data logger. No having to grumble over missed data. Oregon Scientific has given me great service. I love the LCD layout of the WMR200 better then the WMR100. The rotary dial is messed up on the 100 and I can replace the old sensor unit. I like the thermo/hygro being seperate. It if ever were to go bonkers like the thermo/hygro in my 4 in 1 I can replace the individual part instead of something that works fine.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2011, 12:31:27 AM »
I know for shure I'm placing the order off of Ebay this weekend.

I've studied the WMR200's manual via PDF for a while. I usually do this before I make a purchase so when I recieve the station spares me an hour or 2 of assembly which usually only takes me 15-30 minutes. I did the same with the VP2's manual.
As for the questions not answered by the manual,

A few questions not answered by the manual PDF.

Is the pole included still steel or has OS switched to plastic? The pole included with my WMR100 was steel. If plastic, how sturdy is it?

Is the L arm for the anemometer metal? Looks like it's made from the same material Davis uses on their anemometer arms.

How touch sensitive is the screen? Touch screens seem to vary in sensitivity. For example my cell phone has the older touch screens. The type you have to press down to get it to respond.

On average how long to batteries last in sensors? Even though they're solar powered I know the solar cell doesn't store power. Just gives the batteries more breaks durring daylight hours. So it's not like Davis's power supply.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2011, 09:32:49 AM »
The 200 pole and all EXCEPT the anemometer mount are plastic. Reasonably good plastic, but not like the 100. I have the rain gauge mounted on the 200 pole and had to anchor it with guy wires to keep gusts from incrementing the gauge. Now, to be honest I have the 8" funnel mod on the gauge and it's on an OS shelf, both adding to the wind cross section.

I change my batts every 6 months, we're in mild conditions here so they're not climate stressed, but we don't get very good batteries in MX and it's easier to just change them.

The touch screen is medium sensitive, I don't like it and know what you mean about the 100 rotary being flaky. I spent about 4 months trying to get the 200 to work, finally went back to the 100 as the main console and used the 200 as a disconnected data logger - and then when I needed it, the little USB socket failed. I would go to Davis now, but we have to bring down everything from the US and I won't make another trip to TX until late next year, so a friend is bringing the main 200 parts I need in his suitcase when he flies in next month.

I do prefer the separate OS units for placement, it's going to cost me for remote kits for the Davis.

Mexico is becoming less and less "friendly" and by late next year I may decide to either return to TX or I may investigate Guatemala, I looked at Belize last year, but it's way expensive. In either case the long range plans may change, so I'm hoping the new 200 will carry me to that point.

Offline Faceng Ret

• West Melbourne, Florida Weather
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2011, 10:42:45 AM »

On average how long to batteries last in sensors? Even though they're solar powered I know the solar cell doesn't store power. Just gives the batteries more breaks durring daylight hours. So it's not like Davis's power supply.

The STC800 I received with my WMR200 has a battery pack inside comprised of 3 rechargeable batteries. The unit is shipped with the battery pack
disconnected and there is no mention of the battery pack in the OS WMR200 manual.

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2011, 02:16:39 PM »
Ha, PERFECT Faceng Ret, I got out the ladder, hiked up on the roof and took down the solar panel which has been baking in the MXN sun for 2 years - and now is pretty much shot, you're absolutely right, the battery pack is NOT connected and nowhere in the manual did they mention it or connecting it. I never thought to check. Now I'm biting my tongue after pouring another $234 down the OS rat hole. But, in their defense, they go into great detail about how to put together the pole, drive stakes in the ground etc. etc. - but somehow forgot to mention plugging in the batt pack? Well, PT Barnum said it, "a sucker born every minute" and I'm beyond "fool me once shame on you" etc.

To date I have bought an old OS stand alone rain gauge, an OS stand alone temp/hum readout with remote sensor, at least 3 temp/hum sensors, a second rain gauge to replace the one that failed, a 100 with all options, a 200 with all options and now another 200 - DEAR DAVIS, PLEASE SAVE ME FROM FURTHER INSANITY as they say doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result IS insanity.

Merry Christmas OS, I'll shut down the station before I'll drop another peso down that black hole.

Offline FrozenPenguin

• FrozenPenguin
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2011, 07:26:39 PM »

The STC800 I received with my WMR200 has a battery pack inside comprised of 3 rechargeable batteries. The unit is shipped with the battery pack
disconnected and there is no mention of the battery pack in the OS WMR200 manual.

I brought this up in another thread, and there seems to be no concensus on the battery pack inside the ST800 solar panel (unplugged by default from the factory).  It seems as for the WMR200 it is supposed to be left unplugged, as the panel is to only aid the sensor batteries, and not run off the solar panel battery pack at all. 
Oregon Scientific WMR200A + UV

Weather Site | | CWOP:7791

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2011, 07:58:36 PM »
The 200 pole and all EXCEPT the anemometer mount are plastic. Reasonably good plastic, but not like the 100. I have the rain gauge mounted on the 200 pole and had to anchor it with guy wires to keep gusts from incrementing the gauge. Now, to be honest I have the 8" funnel mod on the gauge and it's on an OS shelf, both adding to the wind cross section.

I change my batts every 6 months, we're in mild conditions here so they're not climate stressed, but we don't get very good batteries in MX and it's easier to just change them.

The touch screen is medium sensitive, I don't like it and know what you mean about the 100 rotary being flaky. I spent about 4 months trying to get the 200 to work, finally went back to the 100 as the main console and used the 200 as a disconnected data logger - and then when I needed it, the little USB socket failed. I would go to Davis now, but we have to bring down everything from the US and I won't make another trip to TX until late next year, so a friend is bringing the main 200 parts I need in his suitcase when he flies in next month.

I do prefer the separate OS units for placement, it's going to cost me for remote kits for the Davis.

Thanks for the info.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2011, 08:07:50 PM »
Mexico is becoming less and less "friendly" and by late next year I may decide to either return to TX or I may investigate Guatemala, I looked at Belize last year, but it's way expensive. In either case the long range plans may change, so I'm hoping the new 200 will carry me to that point.
Belize is expensive but I've heard the neighborhood over there is dangerous in some areas. Alot of gang activity, riots, and all that stuff. As a matter of fact, tourists arn't alowed past a fence and the native people arn't alowed where the tourist are. Texas is nice here. In North Texas the temperatures are mild in winters but we do get brutal winters. You might not be used to the cooler weather. Me, I'l never get used to cold weather. Even a few days of it drives me nuts.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2011, 08:40:39 AM »
I know your area well, I lived in Richardson for nearly 5 years and just sent a Christmas card to an old friend there in Mckinney on Appalachian Way. We moved W of Austin in '85 and I finally left there 4 years ago and set up the weather station here at the Lake. I don't know what next year will bring, we never do, one day I'll return to Lakeway either in the Jeep or in a box, Texas will always be home.

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2011, 12:37:59 PM »
Awesome. What's his name I might know him. I love McKinney besides the fact that storms seem to know where we are and purposly try to avoid us. while Allen Plano Frisco Prosper Princeton and Melissa get their rain we seem to be in this hole where storms try to avoid.
Temperatures are already around 50 degrees. I hope today will be warmer than yesterday which was cooler than what was predicted. Ususally when the temperature before noon is the same as the forecasted high than the day is expected to be warmer than what's forecasted. Even the DFW-NWS seems to be a few steps behind Texas weather. I'm just waiting for it to snow and ice on a day that was predicted to be warm and sunny.  :lol:

Well the WMR200 has been ordered and is on it's way. Shure enough today my WMR100 died. Gave a weird squeel sound and the screen went blank. So the WMR200 is going in it's place. My Vantage Pro2 came to the rescue. Right now I have her filling in for the WMR100 untill the WMR200 arrives.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2011, 10:10:10 AM »
My friends are Tom and Sonna Johnson. I guess we go back probably 30 years.

We're on a lake here and surrounded by mountains, so our weather is moderated. The Coldest it ever gets is maybe low 40's and only for a few minutes early and the warmest is low 90's a few times before our rainy season. Even this time of year I start the day with sweats and I'm in shorts already. We don't have heat or AC in our homes here, a few fireplaces and a small portable propane heater are all that are necessary. Although the structures are all brick, concrete and steel so like a big pizza oven, when they heat up they hold it and when they chill you feel it.

A couple weeks ago we had a cold wind blow out of the mountains of Michoacan for 3 days, really chilled things quickly, but it's warmed since then.

I hope your 200 (and my new one) are not as finicky as my current one.

anything