Author Topic: Yankee Air Force or .... ??  (Read 984 times)

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
Yankee Air Force or .... ??
« on: August 12, 2018, 01:51:15 PM »
I saw something go overhead this morning, but I'm not sure what.  Large, twin prop, shiny metal skin, with some kind of red insignia.

Similar to a C-130, but lower and slower and probably smaller.  C-47? 

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
Re: Yankee Air Force or .... ??
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 02:13:16 PM »
I saw something go overhead this morning, but I'm not sure what.  Large, twin prop, shiny metal skin, with some kind of red insignia.

Similar to a C-130, but lower and slower and probably smaller.  C-47?

Sounds like the Fairchild C-123 Provider (possibly without the jet engines):
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 04:03:47 PM »
Mmmmmm, maybe.  Couldn't really tell.  Flying from SW to NE about 10AM-ish.  Didn't strike me as something currently in use.  More something retired moving to or from a show somewhere.

Now that I look, I don't think the tail was upswept either.  Straight fuselage as I recall.

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 04:39:58 PM »
Mmmmmm, maybe.  Couldn't really tell.  Flying from SW to NE about 10AM-ish.  Didn't strike me as something currently in use.  More something retired moving to or from a show somewhere.

Now that I look, I don't think the tail was upswept either.  Straight fuselage as I recall.

This is a Curtis C-46 Commando, vintage ex-WWII cargo plane:

...this is a Douglas C-47 Dakota, famous WWII cargo plane:

...and, this is a Douglas A-26 Invader, a late-WWII attack plane:

Q: was it a high-wing, mid-wing, or low-wing aircraft? (C-123 is high-wing; A-26 is mid-wing; C-46 and C-47 are low-wing).
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 07:29:10 PM by Old Tele man »
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 06:27:33 PM »
Did you just solve the Amelia Earhart mystery?  :lol:

Seriously though, there is a huge airshow this weekend outside Vancouver, and those silly Canucks to the north like to paint red leaf pictures on their planes.  The air show had a crash during historic ride-alongs at the end of the day yesterday, and supposedly the field was closed until 9:00 PM (after sunset).  Maybe someone was in the air or heading to the show, and had to divert due to not being able to fly at night?

https://www.abbotsfordairshow.com/aircraft-crashes-shortly-after-saturday-airshow-ends/

If you're not in the Pacific Northwest, then this probably isn't the source of your siting.  Then again, people in the Seattle area had an impromptu twin engine turboprop airshow a few days ago that also didn't have a happy ending.

Here's a list of other shows.....

https://www.airshows.aero/Page/ASCalendar
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 06:35:46 PM by vreihen »
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 09:04:46 AM »
Here in the Texas Hill Country we had a beautiful CAF C-47 named the Bluebonnet Belle that was often seen around the area and was based in Burnet. A few weeks ago when it was very hot (100+) they were headed to the Oshkosh air show and the pilot tried to force it into the air and stalled attempting to abort and dropped a wingtip and ground looped destroying the plane. Fortunately everyone survived, the plane was a total loss and a big loss to our heritage.

anything