Author Topic: Vantage Pro2 in Kansas up and going  (Read 3790 times)

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
Vantage Pro2 in Kansas up and going
« on: May 28, 2018, 09:21:31 AM »
With the help of my son in 100 degree heat, my weather station is up and going. I have a lot of learning to do. Thanks to all on this forum who answered questions and posted pictures to help. Appreciate it!

Here is the base part with the ISS. I have other pictures if you want to see them.  :grin: Just let me know. I carry them around in my wallet.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Dave in Kansas

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
Re: Vantage Pro2 in Kansas up and going
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 11:07:17 AM »
Awesome.
Just need a Cocorahs gauge on the backside of the 4X4 and you're good to go.
https://www.cocorahs.org/

Offline jas340

• Lone Pine Ranch  Horseshoe Bend, Idaho  USA
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 11:24:28 AM »
That is a beautiful install. The satellite dish mount to keep the ISS out like that away from any absorbed heat or wind blockage from the wood post and then the tilt over for the anemometer pole. My VP2 will be here later this week. I think I will borrow your ISS mounting ideas.

Offline DadCooks

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 12:38:13 PM »
Great looking setup, I have been envisioning the same sort of setup and now I have a great example to follow. My wife might even go for it since she can now see what I have been talking about, particularly because she thinks I am too old (yes, I am) to be climbing on roofs and up towers anymore.

Edit/Add: I suggest you cut down the paper tube concrete form. It will hold water and cause your post to rot, even if it cedar and/or pressure treated. It is best to create a downward sloping cap on the concrete.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 12:57:23 PM by DadCooks »

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 01:16:22 PM »
Appreciate the comments. Could not have done it without the information I got on this forum.

Ocala, my cocorahs gauge is about 30 feet away. Been observing for several years. Thanks.

jas340, thanks for the kind remarks. My ideas were taken from this forum.

DadCooks, I've thought about cutting that down. Have to hop to it. I hear thunder. This whole thing took me a lot of planning time and help from my son. Here's a picture (love to share these).  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ] Anemometer is 22 feet above ground level:

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2018, 01:58:37 PM »
As the others have said, this looks very sharp and a well planned and executed install.

As I wait, year after year, for the VP3, I continue to entertain the idea of just getting a VP2 (which of course will mean the 3 is just about to be released!)  My friend and I got original VPs right after they came out and other than the humidity and temp being off (although right now they are working and in good agreement with the plethora of other sensors out in my yard), it keeps soldiering on.  The Solar (no UV) is very accurate.

But to my question.  The station you have is called a VP2, but it seems there have been a multitude of updates and improvements by Davis over the years (except for the console and the interface).

Did you have a VP2 prior to this?  Have you seen any local VP2s so you might comment on whether or not the one you just installed is substantially different in visible ways other than the rain collector and FARS type shields?

This is nicely done and I like the solution to access the wind monitor portion,and getting the offset from the post.  Darn it, now you got me really thinking about this again! Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2018, 02:11:44 PM »
DaleReid
Thanks.  I couldn't afford to wait for a VP3 at my age.  :grin:

Answer to your question: Never owned any before this one, so I cannot compare; but there are a lot people on here who could make that comparison I bet. I sincerely hope mine lasts like yours has. Kansas is not a forgiving climate.

The let down hinge idea came from this  forum. A member named kjbann, as I recall.

Take care

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2018, 02:32:19 PM »
Love the let down hinge idea. If you recall the hardware names used it may help others in assembly.
Nice Job.
Randy

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2018, 02:41:06 PM »
ValentineWeather

I got my idea from kjbann on this forum. Pictures,  plans I used: [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

This is the plan for the entire ISS and Anemometer mount, also from this forum kjbann  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

I hope I am not violating some  forum policy by posting these and hope they help whoever needs them.

Dave in Kansas

Offline jas340

• Lone Pine Ranch  Horseshoe Bend, Idaho  USA
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2018, 03:33:10 PM »
Went to Home depot this morning and have already installed the wooden post. Ordered the satellite dish support arm from Amazon. Should be here by Thursday along with the VP2.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2018, 03:53:08 PM »
With the help of my son in 100 degree heat, my weather station is up and going. I have a lot of learning to do. Thanks to all on this forum who answered questions and posted pictures to help. Appreciate it!

Here is the base part with the ISS. I have other pictures if you want to see them.  :grin: Just let me know. I carry them around in my wallet.

Dave in Kansas
=D> However, the PWS fashion police are going to want the excess from the cable ties cut off. ;)

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2018, 07:44:41 PM »
CW2274, I'll get right on that. There have been a couple of unmarked cars cruising slowly by already. :-)

On another subject, the rain gauge got a 2.85" initiation on Monday.

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2018, 09:36:26 PM »
Awesome, awesome setup! Is this your first VP2? BTW, with you living in Kansas with all that dry air and having a 24 hr fan with your SHT31, get ready for very dramatic dips and spikes in temperature due to the 31 being a very accurate and sensitive sensor. You will enjoy it all!
Davis Wireless VP2 SHT31 24hr 24CFM FARS

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2018, 09:53:38 PM »
Will the FAR affect accuracy???
The "only" thing a FARS will do is stream a constant flow of ambient air across the sensor. Other than that, it's useless.

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2018, 10:18:08 PM »
Is there a trick or technique to selecting a wooden post so after it has been encased in concrete, next  year I don't find it slightly twisted or bending one way of the other, and not only the wind monitor now our of plumb, but the station and the rain guage no longer as level as I installed it?

I have seen 4" square posts supporting road signs that are great after a few years and others that by next spring are starting to become a circle.

Is there something about the grain on the end of the post that is helpful?  Or a certain wood that is less likely to misshapen with age?

Thanks.  Dale (who wants to only do the post planting once)
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2018, 12:16:46 AM »
Only thing I can think of, off hand is pouring concert below frost line may help prevent shifting.
Randy

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2018, 07:56:46 AM »
DaleReid, You hit on one of my biggest worries. I am no expert, but I will tell you what I did. I chose a 6x6 western red cedar, untreated. I used a very light stain on it (ended up two coats). I just hope the post I chose is one that does not twist or warp because it seems from research that some will, some won't.

I did not use concrete next to the base of the post. However, the post is surrounded by a ring of tamped gravel inside a collar, and that is surrounded by concrete. It is to be determined if this is going to be secure enough to stay true/level. I surely do hope so.

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2018, 08:47:35 AM »
I have used pressure treated 4x4 for many years to replace fence posts and building various things.
When I pick the lumber, I check that the lumber is cut from the center of the log on both ends, like this.
I cut this piece from the top of a gate post I installed more than 15 years ago and it is still straight.
If the center is offset, there is more sap wood on one side which will shrink more than the center hard wood and it will bend.
I also select only Prime, more expensive but with less knots and other defects. I then lay the lumber on 1x2 in the sun to start the dry out process and turn them once a day to allow it to dry on all four sides. Either 4 or 8 days is enough and this usually show if it is going to warp or bend.

This is not 100%, but over the years I had very few posts bend once it is in the ground.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 08:50:21 AM by dupreezd »
Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2018, 09:03:35 AM »
That was very helpful.  We have a local Menards, like a Lowes or Home Depot and some of their stuff is about toothpick quality, but some higher grades available. 

I didn't know about those selection criteeria, nor about the drying steps to see how the eventual drying finishes off.

Do you paint or seal the wood other than the pressure treated method, such as paint or other sealer?  How about the top end grain with something to keep rain from soaking in?
Thx. Dale

ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2018, 09:14:37 AM »
I do not seal or paint any of the fence posts, not do I put anything on the top.

I did stain the posts on my porch just to make it look nice.
If you want to paint or stain, let the post dry completely (weeks to months).

One more thing, when you put your post in concrete, make sure the concrete is higher than the surrounding ground level and slope the concrete up to the post. The slope does have to be much, just enough to let the rain water drain away from the post. This will prevent the post from standing water and rot at the base.
Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2018, 10:55:45 PM »
CW2274, I'll get right on that. There have been a couple of unmarked cars cruising slowly by already. :-)

On another subject, the rain gauge got a 2.85" initiation on Monday.
Uh oh, you got it wet....warranty's voided....   :lol:

Nice install!!
Ed

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline brett c

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2018, 06:18:18 PM »
By chance have a more detailed image available of all of the hardware for this setup (apart from the VP2+  :-P ).

Going to setup something quite similar to this - as it appears to be quite ideal.

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2018, 06:22:44 PM »
Been accused of many things, but never called ideal before.  :grin:
I took most of my ideas from the plans seen in this very post (scroll up). This what you want or can I help another way?

Offline brett c

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2018, 06:39:07 PM »
Been accused of many things, but never called ideal before.  :grin:
I took most of my ideas from the plans seen in this very post (scroll up). This what you want or can I help another way?

My original ideal setup was to buy all the parts for a tilt crank tower that went up 50some ft.... so i could put a ptz cam on it, along with the wx station and an antenna. That didn't go over too well with another person in the house.  #-o

More exactly, size of the bolts, nuts, etc used. Assuming they're around 8in on the plates to the 6x6? Give or take half inch size?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 06:48:24 PM by brett c »

anything