Author Topic: Roof install question wind anemometer cable placement  (Read 941 times)

Offline Meteo

Roof install question wind anemometer cable placement
« on: May 26, 2018, 08:07:46 AM »
I'm nearing completion of my Davis weather station and opted for mounting my anemometer on a chimney strap mount.  The main station is on a post on the ground.  I'm using the phone cord included with an extension to connect the two components.  A 5-6 foot run of the cable is currently lying on the shingles of the roof.  Should I be concerned about the cable being melted or otherwise damaged from the weather?  I did a brief search prior to posting, but found no mention here.

Thanks.

Gerry

Offline pfletch101

• Forecaster
    • Personal Website
Re: Roof install question wind anemometer cable placement
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2018, 10:47:20 AM »
I have lost continuity in two cables in your sort of situation - apparently from attacks by birds or squirrels! I don't do roofs, so the first one had to be replaced (at substantial cost) by a roofer. After the same thing happened again within 3 months, I gave up on having a roof mounted anemometer. The cables were properly secured but open to the elements (and to the animals). I would strongly recommend protecting your cables at least by running them in the sort of corrugated tubing that is sold for keeping audio cables together and preferably by running them in narrow gauge conduit.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 03:05:36 PM by pfletch101 »
Vantage Pro 2+ connected to Raspberry Pi running weewx by means of Meteo-Pi - data incorporated in domestic energy production (PV) and use monitoring system.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 12:24:02 PM »
I have lost continuity in two cables in your sort of situation - apparently from attacks by birds or squirrels! I don't do roofs, so the first one had to be replaced (at substantial cost) by a roofer. After the same thing happened again within 3 months, I gave up on having a roof mounted anemometer. The cables were properly secured but open to the elements (and to the animals). I would strongly recommend protecting your cables at least by running them at least in the sort of corrugated tubing that is sold for keeping audio cables together and preferably by running them in narrow gauge conduit.

I don't do roofs either, but your suggestion is good.  You could run the cable through pvc pipe painted to blend sort of with your roof.  the pvc should last at least 100 years.

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2018, 05:25:39 PM »
I have used various phone cord like connections to some rain gauges on my roof peak, and have had no problem with the wires IF they are the UV resistant type of insulation.  I did have some satin 8 conductor flat cable that after a year or so became 8 separate wires flopping in the breeze, on my tower where sunlight was supposed to be minimized by placing the cable on the north face of one of the legs. 

All I can say is that the black UV wire is supposed to be good, and the temperatures reached won't be high enough to be of concern, from my experience.

As far as varmints attacking the wire, that's another story.  Squirrels are a particular bane of mine, but not on wire.
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline Meteo

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 09:14:11 PM »
Thanks everyone for your replies.  I'm probably going to keep an eye on it after putting it into some kind of tube for protection from UV rays.  I might just also in the future get the wireless anemometer transmitter from Davis.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2018, 09:53:15 PM »
I might just also in the future get the wireless anemometer transmitter from Davis.
Why wait? You'll easily spend more time, headaches, and probably more money not doing it now.

Offline info

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2018, 06:54:06 AM »
Thanks everyone for your replies.  I'm probably going to keep an eye on it after putting it into some kind of tube for protection from UV rays.  I might just also in the future get the wireless anemometer transmitter from Davis.

The best money I spent 5 years ago was the Davis 6332 Solar power Transmitter . I have replace the battery once .
Rick

https://www.ambientweather.com/dain63vapran.html

Offline Meteo

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2018, 02:14:41 PM »
I've decided to stick with the "hard-wired" anemometer setup for now.  Access to the roof is fairly straight forward and it's working well.