Author Topic: Where can I buy ether alcohol online?  (Read 5260 times)

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Re: Where can I buy ether alcohol online?
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2018, 07:27:52 AM »
I got mine off ebay, search for pure ethyl alcohol or medical grade ethyl alcohol.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I did find some 200 proof  ;) using search but won't be here for week or 2. The solar sensor instructions say clean sensor prior to use but they also say don't touch which I didn't.
A little confusing so Davis sends dirty sensors that need to be cleaned with very hard to find ethyl alcohol..... Makes a lot of sense.  #-o
Randy

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2018, 08:01:32 AM »
I got mine off ebay, search for pure ethyl alcohol or medical grade ethyl alcohol.

I did find some 200 proof  ;) using search but won't be here for week or 2. The solar sensor instructions say clean sensor prior to use but they also say don't touch which I didn't.
A little confusing so Davis sends dirty sensors that need to be cleaned with very hard to find ethyl alcohol..... Makes a lot of sense.  #-o

You can go to the drug store and ask the pharmacist to purchase a very small amount of the alcohol.    They have it .     You can also go to the liquor store and buy a bottle of Everclear.  Not flavored.  Both will do the trick.   You also can use a "Q -tip" with clean water and get the same effect.  You just don't want to scratch the surface.

While you are cleaning,check that the level screws are doing their jobs by keeping the sight bubble level.   

Don't make things harder than they seem.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2018, 08:35:22 AM »

You can go to the drug store and ask the pharmacist to purchase a very small amount of the alcohol.    They have it .     You can also go to the liquor store and buy a bottle of Everclear.  Not flavored.  Both will do the trick.   You also can use a "Q -tip" with clean water and get the same effect.  You just don't want to scratch the surface.

While you are cleaning,check that the level screws are doing their jobs by keeping the sight bubble level.   

Don't make things harder than they seem.

I'm making it harder?
Seems Davis would send a cleaning solution for those first time installations especially considering the price tag or at least give some alternatives like this forum has.
I have serious doubts the pharmacy will give anything containing alcoholic products freely away but I'll check. Everclear may or maynot be available in the one liquor store in town. Using our hard water is a bad idea around here.
I'm not worried about scratching the lens but using the wrong solution and clouding it up.
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2018, 11:03:13 AM »
No go on pharmacy checked 2 different places. But did pick up a few items that have been suggested. I'll be calling Davis today before I use any. 
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2018, 11:28:48 AM »
Well spoke with some lady at Davis tech support, her suggestion was just water and lens cloth. She also said they test sensors all the time and have never used any solution.  :roll:
And she mentioned they were aware of the instructions to use ethyl alcohol but she doesn't recommend.  ](*,)
Randy

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2018, 04:22:14 PM »
It's always been my view that there's no obvious reason to use an organic solvent for cleaning. But I guess the point is that if you're bothered about some grease having contaminated the sensor surface then it's best to use a solvent that won't damage that surface, ie avoid methanol. But I can imagine that distilled water with just a drop of washing up liquid in and then thoroughly rinsed off should do just as well.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

anything