Author Topic: Weather-Display Carterlake-style AJAX/PHP website templates available  (Read 62230 times)

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
I've finished off the docs and packed up the scripts and they're ready for download now.

http://saratoga-weather.org/template/index.php

The Carterlake/AJAX/PHP template set comes in three flavors depending on the location of your weather station -- one set for USA, one for Canada and one for World (non-USA, non-Canada).  The varieties are due to the different support scripts required for forecasts, advisories and radar.

Please read and follow the instructions if you are updating a current Carterlake-based website, or have previously installed the AJAX dashboard/sidebar demo pages .. you'll have to take special care to not alter your existing website while working with the new template set.  If you're going into PHP for the first time, then this should make it easier to set up your website .. you should follow the instructions too  :lol:

The Installation page has a lot of details on how to handle existing copies of scripts that are updated by this template set.

USA DemoCanada DemoWorld Demo

My special thanks to Kevin (TNETweather) and Mike (MCHALLIS) for their assistance in this project, and to Tom (Carterlake) for the original HTML version of the WD templates which form the basis of this PHP-driven version.

Enjoy!

Best regards,
Ken
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline BfdWx

• WxElement panel
  • Senior Contributor
    • Branford Weather
Re: Weather-Display Carterlake-style AJAX/PHP website templates available
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 08:43:11 PM »
Just thought I'd give this thread a quick bump. These scripts are amazing and should be checked out by anybody looking for a plug and play web  site!

Regards,

Jack

Offline prvrt

• Contributor
  • WL7COQ
    • My Idaho Weather
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 03:04:57 AM »
Geez, right after I get my site up and running, I find this thread with PHP. I like the lay out alot more and like the ability to change color and screen size. That and all the scripts I want are in PHP. Now, I wonder how long it will take me to get these up and running.
Davis Instruments 6163-Wireless VantagePro2 Plus w/wireless Anemometer, Software = Weather Display
Blackfoot, Idaho

Offline BfdWx

• WxElement panel
  • Senior Contributor
    • Branford Weather
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 09:28:19 AM »
I find this thread with PHP

If your web site is capable of php this is the way to go. Ken's instructions are easy to follow but if you get stuck he'll be there to help. Besides the templates being such a nice presentation of your data, php gives you a lot of other opportunities.

Regards,

Jack           

Offline prvrt

• Contributor
  • WL7COQ
    • My Idaho Weather
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 01:08:08 PM »
I use Go-Daddy for my host and they support PHP. So, I will be setting up the new templates. Still a learning experiance, but I am getting the hang of it. The one thing I think that could be added for beginners would be a webcam page that is already setup to where all you needed to do was add the file name into the document for the camera . I guess I will get started and see what happens.
Davis Instruments 6163-Wireless VantagePro2 Plus w/wireless Anemometer, Software = Weather Display
Blackfoot, Idaho

Offline prvrt

• Contributor
  • WL7COQ
    • My Idaho Weather
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 02:55:41 PM »
I installed the new templates, updated everything as in the directions and I get this error when I try to view the wxindex.php file. Actually, every webpage with .PHP  I try to open does this. --->could not open XML input from ./flyout-menu.xml. What did I do wrong?
I am thinking it is the . that is causing the problem, but not sure.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 03:03:14 PM by prvrt »
Blackfoot, Idaho

Offline BfdWx

• WxElement panel
  • Senior Contributor
    • Branford Weather
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 03:15:17 PM »
Not really sure why this error is coming up but try this in your settings page....

Code: [Select]
$SITE['flyoutmenu'] = true; // set to false to use classic menubar.php instead
change "true" to false and see if it makes a difference for now. Did you upload the flyout-menu.php?

Jack

Offline prvrt

• Contributor
  • WL7COQ
    • My Idaho Weather
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2008, 03:18:30 PM »
I did upload the 3 flyout files. They are flyout-menu.php, flyout-menu.xml, flyout-menu-test.xml I will try your suggestion.

EDIT: That works. I can load the pages now. Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 03:21:03 PM by prvrt »
Blackfoot, Idaho

Offline BfdWx

• WxElement panel
  • Senior Contributor
    • Branford Weather
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2008, 03:23:05 PM »
The flyout menu also rely's on your image file location, there are a bunch of .gif images that need to be uploaded (they should and then the path to them properly expressed in the flyout-menu.php

Jack

Offline BfdWx

• WxElement panel
  • Senior Contributor
    • Branford Weather
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2008, 03:29:55 PM »
Looks good! You need to resolve the images folder and that should get the thermometer working too....make sure the thermometer.php is uploaded too! You seem to be well on your way though, nice job!

Jack

Offline prvrt

• Contributor
  • WL7COQ
    • My Idaho Weather
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2008, 03:45:17 PM »
I have the thermometer.php in the root directory, but it does not seem to find it. I have the images in the ajax-images dir. I tried removing the . for the xml files since they are in the root dir also, but it did not work. I also uploaded the forcast images into forecast/image dir. Seems the forcast is not working either. Also in widescreen, the updating widget in the top right corner bugs out and does not display right.
Blackfoot, Idaho

Offline BfdWx

• WxElement panel
  • Senior Contributor
    • Branford Weather
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2008, 04:15:23 PM »
Your thermometer.php cannot find your thermometer-blank.png see......http://myidahoweather.com/thermometer.php

I can see your thermometer-blank.png in your root directory so in your thermometer.php it should say

$BlankGraphic  = './thermometer-blank.png'; // relative file address for thermometer blank image PNG
Jack

Offline prvrt

• Contributor
  • WL7COQ
    • My Idaho Weather
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2008, 04:50:09 PM »
I went through the setting.php file again and checked all the setting. The thermometer file now shows what you posted and still does not work. Also the fly menu still does not work either with all the settings as original, so have it set to false.
Blackfoot, Idaho

Offline BfdWx

• WxElement panel
  • Senior Contributor
    • Branford Weather
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2008, 05:04:35 PM »
Something is still wrong with your images file....

http://myidahoweather.com/forecast/images/blizzard.jpg  should bring me to the forecast img for blizzard as it does on mine...

http://stillweather.com/forecast/images/blizzard.jpg

You should have a folder on your web site called "forecast" with a subdirectory in that folder called "images"

Your ./ajax-images file seems to be working properly as all your arrow gifs seem fine.

Jack

Offline prvrt

• Contributor
  • WL7COQ
    • My Idaho Weather
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2008, 05:12:52 PM »
Something is still wrong with your images file....

http://myidahoweather.com/forecast/images/blizzard.jpg  should bring me to the forecast img for blizzard as it does on mine...

http://stillweather.com/forecast/images/blizzard.jpg

You should have a folder on your web site called "forecast" with a subdirectory in that folder called "images"

Your ./ajax-images file seems to be working properly as all your arrow gifs seem fine.

Jack

Fixed that problem, seems I can not spell today.
Blackfoot, Idaho

Offline BfdWx

• WxElement panel
  • Senior Contributor
    • Branford Weather
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2008, 05:21:11 PM »
OK, good.

I can see your thermometer-blank.png here....http://myidahoweather.com/thermometer-blank.png

So now look in the thermometer.php script and make sure it is pointing to this.....

$BlankGraphic  = './thermometer-blank.png'; // relative file address for thermometer blank image PNG

Offline prvrt

• Contributor
  • WL7COQ
    • My Idaho Weather
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2008, 05:27:23 PM »
OK, good.

I can see your thermometer-blank.png here....http://myidahoweather.com/thermometer-blank.png

So now look in the thermometer.php script and make sure it is pointing to this.....

I checked the file and it shows exactly what you posted.
Blackfoot, Idaho

Offline BfdWx

• WxElement panel
  • Senior Contributor
    • Branford Weather
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2008, 05:34:18 PM »
Hmmmmm.....looks like we need Ken's help here! It's got me stumped! I'll send him an e-mail for help!

BTW another thing to start looking at is your testtags.php. WD needs to parse that file, the instructions for doing this are in the readme docs. Your current testtags data is old.

Jack

Offline prvrt

• Contributor
  • WL7COQ
    • My Idaho Weather
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2008, 06:26:56 PM »
Hmmmmm.....looks like we need Ken's help here! It's got me stumped! I'll send him an e-mail for help!

BTW another thing to start looking at is your testtags.php. WD needs to parse that file, the instructions for doing this are in the readme docs. Your current testtags data is old.

Jack
I followed the readme.txt, but the file does not update to the current time/date. Still shows the old time and date. I am not sure I set the time zone correctly in the settings file either. On the templates, the time zone shows "PST8PDT". When I look the time zone up in the text document provide, I do not see anything in this format. My time zone according to the text shows "US   +433649-1161209   America/Boise   Mountain Time - south Idaho & east Oregon". I used America/Boise. Is this the correct format?
Blackfoot, Idaho

Offline BfdWx

• WxElement panel
  • Senior Contributor
    • Branford Weather
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2008, 06:36:10 PM »
I used America/Boise. Is this the correct format?

That should be fine.

Were you able to follow the WD part? In other words in WD>control panel>web files/web page>custom web page setup.....?

Offline prvrt

• Contributor
  • WL7COQ
    • My Idaho Weather
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2008, 06:38:17 PM »
I used America/Boise. Is this the correct format?

That should be fine.

Were you able to follow the WD part? In other words in WD>control panel>web files/web page>custom web page setup.....?

Yes, I copied the 2 files into my webfiles dir. I then went to WD>control panel>web files/web page>custom web page setup, entered the file names for local, then for remote, clicked test, and then ok.
Blackfoot, Idaho

Offline mchallis

• Long Beach, WA Weather
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2008, 06:40:17 PM »
There is a bug in  rss-top-warning.php - V1.02 25-Mar-2008
on
Line 149
change
           $Status .= "<!-- HTML fetch length = " . strlen($html) . " ; Cache not saved. \n";

to
           $Status .= "<!-- HTML fetch length = " . strlen($html) . " ; Cache not saved. --> \n";

That is causing your index page to half load

Offline prvrt

• Contributor
  • WL7COQ
    • My Idaho Weather
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2008, 06:43:36 PM »
There is a bug in  rss-top-warning.php - V1.02 25-Mar-2008
on
Line 149
change
           $Status .= "<!-- HTML fetch length = " . strlen($html) . " ; Cache not saved. \n";

to
           $Status .= "<!-- HTML fetch length = " . strlen($html) . " ; Cache not saved. --> \n";

That is causing your index page to half load

Changed and uploaded.
Blackfoot, Idaho

Offline BfdWx

• WxElement panel
  • Senior Contributor
    • Branford Weather
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2008, 06:45:14 PM »
Yes, I copied the 2 files into my webfiles dir. I then went to WD>control panel>web files/web page>custom web page setup, entered the file names for local, then for remote, clicked test, and then ok.

OK, now go to control panel>internet file creation> and find file#29 (page 2) and enable file creation and upload

Offline prvrt

• Contributor
  • WL7COQ
    • My Idaho Weather
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2008, 06:51:52 PM »

OK, now go to control panel>internet file creation> and find file#29 (page 2) and enable file creation and upload

I did this.
Blackfoot, Idaho