Author Topic: Bright Aurora  (Read 1504 times)

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
Bright Aurora
« on: September 07, 2015, 03:36:25 PM »
Last nigh aurora display was the brightest I have seen in recent years. One could have read by it. It was bright enough to cast shadows of the black spruce against the window curtains the wife had pulled down. I knew it wasn't the moon as it in last quarter and not seen till about  0400 or bit later. Display lasted about 20 minutes then clouds moved in. There was more activity that casted light thru the cloud breaks.

John

Offline tbern

• Senior Contributor
Re: Bright Aurora
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 04:53:14 PM »
Cool!  Any reason why it was extra bright?

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 05:42:35 PM »
Cool!  Any reason why it was extra bright?

A little stronger than usual CME? I would have liked to seen that.

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 10:32:38 AM »
John, did they return last night with similar intensity?  Do you have a camera?...I'd like to see some pictures.  :)

Ed

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 10:18:29 PM »
Hi Ed looks like it going to rain here. Started clouding up yesterday and last night was broken overcast . With the aurora forecast I imagine they were active. Big low off Kodiak pushing cloud shield inland and next couple days  they are calling for rain and the S - word for area just north of us. Am hoping to get some pix before we shift back south to water climes.

John

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 11:53:52 PM »
We definitely can't control the weather.  If you manage to snag some shots definitely post'em on the forum.  Seems I've only glimpsed auroras maybe two or three times in my life...seems like they were more prevalent when I was a kid as I can't remember seeing any this far south in my adult life.  Back then Eglin AFB down on the gulf coast used to shoot missiles up that produced "glowing clouds"...we could see them 100 miles to the north.

Hope the weather breaks for you.  I don't know if I've ever mentioned it, but you live in a remarkable place.  Been there once and would love to go back one day...

Ed

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline Pagosa Weather

• Flathead Valley Weather
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 11:33:00 AM »
I've been lazy the last few nights (I'm surrounded by forest, so I have to drive to get a clear view), but they've supposedly been really good up here in NW Montana.

As always, lots of good shots here: http://spaceweathergallery.com/aurora_gallery.html