Author Topic: HELP with internet weather  (Read 2496 times)

Offline kpatteri

HELP with internet weather
« on: September 02, 2008, 05:01:08 PM »
Hi, I just purchased a OS WMR200 and would like to upload the info to the internet.  I was curious what the easiest way to go about this.  I know there are several websites and programs out there and have found it a bit confusing.  I am new to this and was looking for some advice.

Thanks,

Kevin

Offline wxcrw

• Castle Rock Weather.org
Re: HELP with internet weather
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 05:35:47 PM »
I'm assuming you have your OS WMR200 connected to a home computer right now. If not i'm sure someone else, who is more familiar with the OS products can chime in about that process.

Simplest solution is to start uploading to WUnderground.com. You can create a station id, and running free software upload your data directly to them. The free software is called WUHU, and can be found at http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/. The best part of weather underground is they record, tren, and display your data in tables and graphs. Very cool site, and almost all of us still continue to upload our data to them, even though we have our own weather websites.

If your interested in running your own website, that you can customize, modify, and make your own your gonna need a bit more equipment/software. You will need a web server. Hosted or run by you. You will need a method of getting data to that server from your local pc. Your local pc, will need software that can process the raw data coming from the OS WMR200.

This software isn't free, so expect an initial software investment.

There are 2 programs that most of us use. They include Weather Display and Virtual Weather Station. Each one does things a little different, and it mostly boils down to preference, although more advanced websites use both. I recommend picking one and using it for a while.

I personally have VWS, and find the program to do everything I could need, but not without a small battle of some kind. I chose VWS because my co-worker, who had a personal weather website, used it. It made sense at the time, and allowed me to ask questions and for help easily.

Depending on your knowledge of website design, will depend on how quickly you can customize what your visitors see. The WD templates at Carterlake and Saratoga-Weather are very nice looking. In my opinion some of the best I've seen. Many continue to use those templates, long past basic website design. The key is that most templates, scripts, etc.. are written for Weather Display users. VWS users can use them, but you have to rewrite the code sometimes. Again advanced stuff.

Once your uploading data, displaying it on your own website, the sky is the limit. NOAA radio streaming, weather webcams, live flash weather programs, and even generating your own Radar images. There is tons to do and you will find this to be a never ending development and growth project.

Start simple and build and build until your satisfied with your product. I spend a lot of time checking out what others are doing, trying to figure out how they did it, and incorporating their ideas into my site. Web Developer toolbar for Firefox is a great way to look at their site code. Reading php scripts from saratoga and carterlake is another. I credit them on my site as the inspiration or provider or X, since its their intellectual property. Sending them a thank you email  or making a donation is another way I say thanks.

I hope that gave you some direction, on such a limitless question.
Castle Rock Weather
www.castlerockweather.org

Offline kpatteri

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 06:05:35 PM »
Very informative response, thanks for all the info!  My WMR200 is hooked up to my computer and I'm using the Weather Display Basic that came with it.  I'll download the WUHU software tonight and give it a try.  I'll let you know how it goes, thanks again.

Kevin

Offline weatherforyou

• Forecaster
  • My weather is on WeatherForYou.com. Is yours?
    • http://www.weatherforyou.com
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 07:53:57 PM »
Simplest solution is to start uploading to WUnderground.com. You can create a station id, and running free software upload your data directly to them. The free software is called WUHU, and can be found at http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/. The best part of weather underground is they record, tren, and display your data in tables and graphs. Very cool site, and almost all of us still continue to upload our data to them, even though we have our own weather websites.

Don't forget PWSweather.com.   :roll:

PWSweather.com provides the same services, is operated by sites that have supported personal weather stations since 1999 and is active in the personal weather station community.   :???:

The data is also included with local forecasts on weatherforyou.com.
Joe Torsitano

Offline wxcrw

• Castle Rock Weather.org
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 09:12:54 PM »
Great point Weatherforyou, I should have included more then just Wunderground. The best part is you don't have to choose one site over another. Try to contribute to as many as you can. Here is PWSWeather.com's how-to FAQ http://www.pwsweather.com/faqs.php#What-do-I-need-to-post-my-data-to-PWSweathercom

Sounds like you got a good start. Take a look at these templates from http://saratoga-weather.org/template/index.php. They will give you a great start to your website.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 09:18:41 PM by wxcrw »
Castle Rock Weather
www.castlerockweather.org

Offline kpatteri

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 10:36:07 PM »
I registered at PWSweather now we will see if it works.  I'm using Weather Display and configured it with my unit name in the control panel with PWS.  I'm not sure if there is anything else I need to do for now.

Thanks,

Kevin

Offline kpatteri

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 11:48:39 PM »
Got it working, thanks again for the info!

http://www.pwsweather.com/obs/GOLIONS81.html

anything