Author Topic: Creating a local weather forecast site.  (Read 3081 times)

Offline wxtopic

• Redneck Storm Chaser
  • First Tornado Photo
    • WxTopic Weather & Climate Forum
Creating a local weather forecast site.
« on: August 13, 2008, 10:46:14 PM »
Here is the deal. I am creating a website like "USAWeather.org" except only for the southern Illinois region. Weather forecasts and reports will be created by volunteers and so on. Now my question is, what kind of weather station and software do I need to provide "still images" and "loop images" of doppler and satalite radar "live" on my website?

I am prepared to spend some money but the cheaper the better!!!  :twisted:

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
Re: Creating a local weather forecast site.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 11:55:14 PM »
For live radar go with GRLevel 3. About Satellite I am not sure as their are several sources out there. If money is no option then you can host your own NOAA Port and get images directly from a satellite. Another option is HAMWeather subscription service. They provide numerous services and very detailed maps that are highly customizable for your site.

Offline wxtopic

• Redneck Storm Chaser
  • First Tornado Photo
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 07:04:08 AM »
I didn't know I could put GRLevel 3 on my website. I was thinking more along the lines of a weather station and software link for sites?

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 09:37:15 AM »
I didn't know I could put GRLevel 3 on my website. I was thinking more along the lines of a weather station and software link for sites?

Yes you can add GRLevel3 to your site. It has the capabilities to upload images to your site. The their are several placefiles you can add for color tables, maps, etc.  Best resource to find information GRLevel3 stuff is here... http://www.grlevelxstuff.com/

Then you will need a weather station, most popular and the best for the money is a Davis Vantage Pro 2. It has all the bells and whistles you need and has add ons and it the most accurate on the market. Then to send that information to the internet from your console you will need WeatherLink, get the Serial version. The you can get Weather Display software to display it on your web site. You can use the Carter lake templates to display it or ever HamWeather. Their is so much more stuff you can add. The best bet instead of reinventing the wheel is just browsing the forum and do searches for what you are looking for. It has a wealth of information and you will probably find your answers you are looking for faster.

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 12:58:56 PM »
Here is the deal. I am creating a website like "USAWeather.org" except only for the southern Illinois region. Weather forecasts and reports will be created by volunteers and so on. Now my question is, what kind of weather station and software do I need to provide "still images" and "loop images" of doppler and satalite radar "live" on my website?

I am prepared to spend some money but the cheaper the better!!!  :twisted:

Welcome to the forum. Bloomington\Normal here. The Davis Vantage Pro 2 is the best station out there. Here is the link to Illinois State University's website.... http://www2.fac.ilstu.edu/weather/isu/index.php

My site will be online soon. Lots of work to do.

Offline wxtopic

• Redneck Storm Chaser
  • First Tornado Photo
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 06:47:39 PM »
Thank you all for the responses :)