Author Topic: Interfacing to the Davis console without the Weatherlink Datalogger  (Read 57215 times)

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
Re: Interfacing to the Davis console without the Weatherlink Datalogger
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2011, 12:22:56 PM »
What do you use for the physical connection to the console connector (normally used for the logger)?

It's a standard 0.100" connector. You can buy them from Jameco or similar. They usually crimp onto a ribbon cable, or you can get them in PC mount. Davis molds theirs into the potting.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2011, 01:43:12 PM »
Thanks.  I'm familiar with that type of connector. 

Offline DeKay

• Forecaster
    • Mad Scientist Labs
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2011, 01:55:59 PM »
It's a standard 0.100" connector. You can buy them from Jameco or similar. They usually crimp onto a ribbon cable, or you can get them in PC mount. Davis molds theirs into the potting.

It is not a standard 0.100" connector, it just looks like it.  0.1" = 2.54 mm.  The pin spacing on the Davis connector is actually a little finer at 2mm (go measure it if you don't believe me), so you need something like this, along with a compatible ribbon cable.  Note that Newark has a free shipping deal on right now too.

That is the right way to do it, which of course is not what I'm doing right now since I didn't have 20 pin 2mm IDC connectors just lying around when I started all this.  So I directly soldered some 30 gauge wire to the Davis circuit board to give me easy access to some of the pins.  For the serial connection, I salvaged some individual sockets out of an old connector I had lying around, attached some wire to them, insulated them with masking tape, pushed them onto the expansion connector, and hooked up using some test leads with alligator clips at each end.  This fragile mess keeps things exciting, since I'm always just one short circuit away from disasterous consequences.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2011, 03:19:28 PM »
My bad for eyeballing it, not measuring or trying it.

Still, at least it's a commonly available connector.

Sounds like you play work like I do. ;) It's only fun if your close to letting the magic smoke out of something expensive.

It is not a standard 0.100" connector, it just looks like it.  0.1" = 2.54 mm.  The pin spacing on the Davis connector is actually a little finer at 2mm (go measure it if you don't believe me), so you need something like this, along with a compatible ribbon cable.  Note that Newark has a free shipping deal on right now too.

That is the right way to do it, which of course is not what I'm doing right now since I didn't have 20 pin 2mm IDC connectors just lying around when I started all this.  So I directly soldered some 30 gauge wire to the Davis circuit board to give me easy access to some of the pins.  For the serial connection, I salvaged some individual sockets out of an old connector I had lying around, attached some wire to them, insulated them with masking tape, pushed them onto the expansion connector, and hooked up using some test leads with alligator clips at each end.  This fragile mess keeps things exciting, since I'm always just one short circuit away from disasterous consequences.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2011, 04:38:51 PM »

Thanks for the info.  And since this is the usual type of IDC connector, it should be relatively easy to manually connect the 3 necessary wires to the connector (and carefully solder them) without having to find the 1mm ribbon cable.

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
  • waiting for the rain.....
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2011, 06:01:00 AM »
I have recently designed and built a USB to VP unit, based on Dekay's pinout, so let me know if any of you are interested. I have succesfully connected this to a VP1 which has the same pinout as the VP2 and Vue, using Cumulus software. I will ship worldwide at cost.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 09:55:02 AM by belfryboy »

Offline gwynethh

« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2011, 11:42:02 AM »
I haven't chased all of the details of your postings, so perhaps this is answered elsewhere. 

What do you use for the physical connection to the console connector (normally used for the logger)?

You can make four connectors from a LAPTOP PC IDE cable (a regular IDE cable will NOT work). It will nee to be cut down from 22 pin to 10 pin but a hobby knife and care will do that.

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2011, 11:07:59 AM »
to those that are interested, the 20 way header is a Hirose DF11, and the part that mates to the boards is specifically a DF11-20DS-2DSA(05)

http://www.hirose.co.jp/cataloge_hp/e54305002.pdf

Offline Flag

• Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2011, 05:21:49 AM »
Are some getting a little lost with what they are trying to do here ?????

Offline DeKay

• Forecaster
    • Mad Scientist Labs
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2011, 09:47:53 AM »
Are some getting a little lost with what they are trying to do here ?????

Nope.  Just you.  This connector stuff is entirely relevant.

Offline HandyGeek

• KD4E
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2011, 02:46:50 PM »
to those that are interested, the 20 way header is a Hirose DF11, and the part that mates to the boards is specifically a DF11-20DS-2DSA(05)

Is this what is used with the Dekay/Belfryboy interface board?

Does it have to be modified?

Found it here:
http://octopart.com/df11-20ds-2dsa%2805%29-hirose-260412
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 03:46:34 PM by HandyGeek »

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2011, 05:06:07 PM »

Is this what is used with the Dekay/Belfryboy interface board?

Does it have to be modified?

Found it here:
http://octopart.com/df11-20ds-2dsa%2805%29-hirose-260412
that's the one

Offline HandyGeek

• KD4E
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2011, 09:46:09 PM »
Cool, thanks!

As soon as I am certain my console is OK and get the ISS mounted I will move ahead to look into mods ...

APRS posting, weather service posting, my personal weather page posting, wireless link between PC and console ... great fun!

Thanks!

Offline bayu

« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2012, 11:47:48 AM »
Keep trying Sir...

Offline Gonzalinho_89

« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2021, 09:33:55 AM »
Hola, tengo una estación vantage vue y quisiera saber si basta con conectar el puerto serie de una pc a los pines Rx y Tx de la estación para poder leer los datos meteorológicos que envía la misma.
Gracias.