Author Topic: What to purchase.........  (Read 3073 times)

Offline buckeyeair

What to purchase.........
« on: May 21, 2010, 09:51:25 PM »
I am new to the weather hobby and am looking for my first weather station. I would like to have a wireless system to place in my yard (50'-70' out) and to include a self emptying rain bucket and be as maintenance free as possible due to being in a wheelchair---I would like to keep the cost around $200. or less....I have spec'd out the Oregon Scientific WMR968 as well as the La Crosse WS-2810U....
Any suggestions and advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
glenn (buckeyeair)

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
Re: What to purchase.........
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 10:11:33 PM »
I am new to the weather hobby and am looking for my first weather station.

I have a OS968 and a lacrosse ws2315 and am happy with both.  If 50 people respond to this post, you'll probably get 50 different answers!

However, while you're making up your mind, you might want to consider sensor placement:  http://home.comcast.net/~dshelms/CWOP_Guide.pdf

Also, be sure and get a radiation shield.  It's a worthwhile investment.

Good luck!
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Wx4U

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 10:26:33 PM »
Welcome to the forum. Slow Modem spoke well. I started with a LaCrosse 2308 and now have added a Davis VP2 wireless. For what its worth, Radio Shack has a copy of the OS968. I can't see any difference in the two, but the Radio Shack has a better manual. Also, I believe the price is better. The 968 is sold by several vendors, just shop around. Radio Shack has theirs on-line and at most stores. Good Luck.
Bob
Retired USAF Air Traffic Controller, Davis VP2 Wireless, WLS 5.8.2, LaCrosse 2308, Logitech Pro 9000 (Roof mounted on rotor), CoCoRaSh gauge, KTXARLIN35, Compaq Presario W/Vista

Offline info

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 11:06:51 PM »
I had the  La Crosse WS-2810 for about three yrs . No problems I sold my house an the station stayed with the new owners . I upgrade to the Davis  for the new house
info

Offline buckeyeair

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 12:10:57 PM »

Slow Modem....Thanks for the heads-up on the CWOP manual......what a wealth of info. in those 88 pages. I was so impressed with the info. that I printed it out and have put it in a notebook for studying.....
Thanks again;
glenn (buckeyeair)

However, while you're making up your mind, you might want to consider sensor placement:  http://home.comcast.net/~dshelms/CWOP_Guide.pdf

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 01:49:17 PM »
Slow Modem....Thanks for the heads-up on the CWOP manual.

Glad to help  :)
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline buckeyeair

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 07:13:17 PM »
After much research and price checking, I ordered the Davis 6250 Vantage Vue station today from 'Ambientweather' (there discount prices are tough to beat) I also ordered a stand as well as an extension pole....I have not, as of yet ,ordered the additional software. I guess more research is needed before I attempt to put the data on the net  Thanks for your help....
glenn (buckeyeair)

Offline info

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 09:12:29 PM »
When you get ready to order weatherlink , get the serial port data logger . You won't be sorry
info

Offline buckeyeair

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 12:55:12 PM »
I received my new Davis Vantage Vue several days ago and had a friend come over for the install.
Pretty easy to setup and level (from my viewpoint while sitting in my wheelchair and watching !!..it is
 great to have friends) and program but I have much to learn on the operation of the monitor...so far I am
very impressed with this little weather station....the local HOA agreed to let me install it out in the yard
in an open area in exchange for periodic and emergency weather updates !!
not sure what the graph in the lower left is charting as of yet--(lol)
Later my friends;
buckeyeair (benchrest)

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2010, 01:21:05 PM »
I received my new Davis Vantage Vue several days ago and had a friend come over for the install.

Congratulations!  I hope it provides you with many years of enjoyment and information.   =D>
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

anything