Author Topic: High Salt Environment  (Read 5361 times)

Offline jsntg

High Salt Environment
« on: September 05, 2014, 02:31:30 PM »
Can anyone recommend a PWS that is salt resistant? My station is on the beach and suffers strong, salt-laden prevailing on-shore winds. I've used both OS and Davis sensors. Anemometers last about 8 months, other sensors about a year. Looking for something more durable. Thanks in advance.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Re: High Salt Environment
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 02:58:32 PM »
Can anyone recommend a PWS that is salt resistant? My station is on the beach and suffers strong, salt-laden prevailing on-shore winds. I've used both OS and Davis sensors. Anemometers last about 8 months, other sensors about a year. Looking for something more durable. Thanks in advance.

It's hard to make a recommendation without having an idea about budget. I am sure that there are "marine grade" weather station sensors from Vaisala, RM Young (e.g http://www.youngusa.com/products/7/8.html), etc. but you are probably looking at several $k dollars I would suspect.

There are some here that have used Rainwise in coastal areas. Having no direct experience myself, I'll defer to those who do.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline jsntg

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 03:21:10 PM »
Thanks Greg. Budget is ~$600 but I could prolly raise $2-3k from fans as this is the most hit WX station in SF.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 04:17:53 PM »
What have been your failure modes on the Davis?

Is it the actual sensing elements (Temp/RH/Rain) or the transmitters?

You might be able to put the transmitters into a plastic NEMA box that won't impede the RF. You would need weatherproof fittings for the sensor cable entry.

If the problems are with the sensors, that is a tougher problem. Maybe some kind of screen/membrane that would let air through, but block salt spray?

I have an RM Young Wind Monitor Jr. that I bought on eBay. It was designed for buoy applications. I don't even have a full year on it yet, and I am near Lake Huron which is freshwater anyways.

I was trying to think of ways to protect the likes of "prosumer" equipment like Davis without breaking the bank.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 04:25:00 PM »
A Davis anemometer typically lasts way more than 8 months, even in a location that's close by the sea. I'm aware of a couple of Vue stations that are positioned actually constantly above the sea (about 5m) and they're still running after a year or two - slightly to my surprise I have to say, but they're still going at present. Have you tried using the more recent 6410 anemometer version with updated bearings and a solid-state speed switch? Obviously it's better if they don't constantly get drenched in breaking spray, but just being right at a coastal location shouldn't be a major issue of itself.

Even if you had to replace the anemometer annually (which would surprise me a lot) then you'd probably still find this the cheapest way of installing and running the station.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline jsntg

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 04:51:28 PM »
'What have been your failure modes on the Davis?'

The wind sensor after about a year. That was an expensive station so opted for disposable stations after that and have gone through 6+ OS WGR800 wind sensors in 4 years. I am in a bit of a venturi and have sustained winds of 20-30 for days at time with gust over 50. So about half the failures have been bearings. I always do a circuit board post-mortem and find varying degrees of corrosion. Have sprayed the boards down with silicon spray with some success but you have to do it every month or so which requires more interest/motivation than available.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 06:04:00 PM »
I have never had a Rainwise, but I have never heard anything bad about them.  They are made in  Bar Harbor, Maine (as far as I know) and that's a harsh environment.  I know there are some on this forum that use Rainwise and seem very happy with their stations.

Good luck!  :)
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline WA7FWF

• Contributor
  • Blitzortung 1196
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 09:59:06 PM »
Instead of the silcon spray try using a conformal coating which is made for circuit boards and would last much longer, it comes in a spray can and once applied seals the board from just about everything, you just have to be careful to keep it out of sensors.

Offline moto51

• Jubilee Weather
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2014, 04:23:58 AM »
My Vantage Vue is located very close to the beach and is still going strong after 4 years, cops the salt spray off the onshore winds which are pretty constant for about 6 months of the year and then cops dirt and dust from the offshore winds the other 6 months.

Offline VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 09:05:02 AM »
I have never had a Rainwise, but I have never heard anything bad about them.  They are made in  Bar Harbor, Maine (as far as I know) and that's a harsh environment.  I know there are some on this forum that use Rainwise and seem very happy with their stations.

Good luck!  :)

This is what you're looking for:

http://www.rainwise.com/

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2014, 04:12:34 PM »
This is what you're looking for:
http://www.rainwise.com/

I'm sure the RainWise stations are excellent units and absolutely not wishing to start a RainWise vs Davis debate. But this does seem like another of those posts where conclusions are being jumped to without sufficient description or analysis.

As far as I can judge from what's been posted, the OP tried a Davis station (presumably a VP2 but I don't think it's reported) and had an anemometer problem but of unspecified nature after 8 months or so. And, as a result, the OP has concluded that Davis is a waste of time at this location. But there can be all sorts of reasons for a one-off anemometer problem. Deciding that it's not worth following this up further does seem a bit premature when Davis might well be the most cost-effective answer here or at least as good as any other option.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline stevenh

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2014, 12:44:25 PM »
I live 700 or so feet from the ocean, coastal NH.
I've had a Peet Bros at that location for 10+ years. The anemometer has been replaced 3 times. It develops intermittent readings of zero  even when the wind is blowing.
It is also the older style where low wind readings are likely not captured. Peet has a costly upgrade that addresses this, larger wind cups.

They also have a anemometer that I understand is built for a salty environment. I think it is conformal coated to keep the moisture out of the read switch.
The LED weather picture display is why I went with Peet.

I've also sited a Davis Vue above a bulkhead on Seabrook Habor NH. This likely sees its share of salt spray when a west wind pushes waves into the bulkhead.
The Vue has had a series of issues. Some under warranty.
I just replaced the ISS because like the Peet, the wind is reported as zero, even when the anemometer is spinning.
Only seems to do this during the summer months?
Other issues were the same as reported here, short battery life, the need for silicone grease on the battery terminals.
Being 40ft high, the rain readings aren't even close during a real wind/rain storm.

Overall, for me and my use, something always seems to need fix'n. But that's what hobbies are about.

Steve

Offline Richie Cohen

• www.RainWise.com
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2014, 01:04:08 PM »
I know Rainwise will do specials. Call them up, tell them about your situation and the can beef up the coating on the electronics and the station.
Service & Repairs Manager
RainWise Inc.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2014, 02:28:12 PM »
Before you decide on rainwise read this thread first. Something to consider in wet conditions. I do know Davis Sensors are coated, potted, and overmolded with extensive testing for extreme wind, UV, and salt/corrosion
http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=24242.msg233095#msg233095

Comparison between station link:  http://www.davisnet.com/news/davis-vs-competition.asp
Randy

Offline Richie Cohen

• www.RainWise.com
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2014, 03:43:58 PM »
I thought all Davis stuff was built in China?
Service & Repairs Manager
RainWise Inc.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2014, 03:56:19 PM »
So are Honda Motors believe it or not. Its called cheap labor.
Randy

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2014, 04:50:36 PM »
I bought my Davis because it was American made, has this changed?

Paul

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2014, 06:42:02 PM »
I bought my Davis because it was American made, has this changed?

Paul
Probably not, I really don't know where they're made. Its quality even if it was made in Bangladesh.
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2014, 06:49:52 PM »
Davis Weather Stations are Made in the USA with imported and US parts. Hardly anything is 100% USA products anymore. Maybe assembled but you can almost always find foreign products like electronics involved.
Randy