Author Topic: Help with my setup please  (Read 3136 times)

Offline GeneDoc

Help with my setup please
« on: April 30, 2014, 01:06:24 AM »
Hi, I've looked over the last couple pages of "help me" posts, so hopefully I have addressed some of the more common questions.

My goals:
1. Geek level interest in following weather
2. Teaching my kids about weather/science
3. Porting data to WeatherUnderground
4. Weather console in house as well as data accessible by phone/tablet
5. Archiving data on home PC with indefinite data stored (e.g. compare average wind speed, temp, etc. across 5 or 10 years)

Equipment I'm considering:
1. Vantage Pro 2 (06153)
2. WeatherLink IP (06555)
3. DLink Powerline AV500 (Powerline networking works great! The desired console position is 70 linear feet from router.)

For sensor location, I am attaching the image of my backyard.  I put in a blue line (200 feet) which shows my eastern lot line, running in a due north-south line.  There are too many trees for ideal location, but my wife wouldn't be happy if I ran out there with a chainsaw.  I put in estimated tree heights which flank the desired sensor location.  I put in the arrow showing my current station location.  I would hope to elevate the anemometer ~20 feet up.  I know it's not ideal (33'), but I want to preserve my marriage.  I would plan on noting the height in the meta-data.  Console location would be ~100 feet from sensor, in house, using a wireless connection.  The land east of my property is a large, active farm.  I live at nearly the highest point in the region, with winds typically originating from the west-southwest.

I found the AmbientWeather.com site and their prices are much better than Davis' own prices.  Have people purchased through AmbientWeather or is it a case of "too good to be true"?  Are the warranties valid if purchased through AW or is there some other catch?

It isn't clear to me if I need the Virtual Weather Station software shown on AmbientWeather's site or if the same functionality is provided through WeatherLink.  Any thoughts?

So, I welcome your input.  I wonder if I'm missing anything.  I don't see a need yet for the UV, moisture, etc sensors at this point, though I imagine my OCD will kick in after I start having fun.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 01:11:59 AM by GeneDoc »

Offline piconut

• Juggler Extraordinaire
  • Forecaster
    • South Austin Weather
Re: Help with my setup please
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 01:28:04 AM »
Hi GeneDoc...

Check out Ryan's prices over at www.ScaledInstruments.com  for much better prices than you're finding elsewhere.  Ryan also gives you a better warranty that Davis does and really stands behind his stuff.  Give him a  call.  The only other thing you might want to consider would be to opt for the non-IP version of the Data logger, IF you have a spare old laptop or 24x7 computer to log data.  It will allow you to use some really nice software programs (some free, some paid) to view your data and you can still upload it to WUnderground with most of the weather software programs.  Specifically, check out Cumulus software (donationware) and look at what software other members are using here:  http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=21302.0
  • Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus
  • Virtual VP
  • Virtual Weather Station V15.00
  • Cumulus
  • Cumulus MX
  • Image Salsa
  • IP TimeLapse

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 03:54:35 AM »
Welcome and enjoy your stay.  Most vendors have an unadvertised price.  Call or email them and you can save money.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline GeneDoc

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 08:04:16 AM »
The only other thing you might want to consider would be to opt for the non-IP version of the Data logger, IF you have a spare old laptop or 24x7 computer to log data.  It will allow you to use some really nice software programs (some free, some paid) to view your data and you can still upload it to WUnderground with most of the weather software programs.

I am interested in the nonIP version of the logger, but the challenge I don't know how to solve at this point is the location of the weather console.  We (even my wife) want the console in the kitchen, in a convenient place to be viewed by all.  I do have a spare laptop I could use, but putting a laptop in the kitchen is problematic due to the clutter effect of having the laptop on the counter.  So, if there were a way to separate the laptop and the console, I'd be interested.  The kitchen is 70+ feet from any room where I could leave a laptop running 24/7 for data logging.

Thanks for a link to your software poll.  Very interesting.

Most vendors have an unadvertised price.  Call or email them and you can save money.

Thank you

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 08:15:18 AM »
If you have the money, you could just get an extra console for the kitchen, and put the original console with the laptop (wherever that is).
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
    • Colorado Springs Weather
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 08:27:05 AM »
If you have the money, you could just get an extra console for the kitchen, and put the original console with the laptop (wherever that is).

Or leave your wife outside and have her report so you don't have to buy an extra console.  :lol:

On a serious note Ryan Wilhour at Scaled Instruments (formally Archer Trading Post) is a great guy and will match any price you find. He is located in Gainsville,FL.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 08:38:09 AM by cospringswx »

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 09:36:23 AM »

Or leave your wife outside and have her report so you don't have to buy an extra console.  :lol:

On a serious note Ryan Wilhour at Scaled Instruments (formally Archer Trading Post) is a great guy and will match any price you find. He is located in Gainsville,FL.
I agree, Ryan Wilhour not only has the best prices, quick shipment, but he will work with you.   I purchased a second console for the kitchen.   My wife loves the windows open and when you have hayfever, and it is a hot humid day, you want the air conditioning on.  So you set the heat index to THSW  and the argument works best for closing windows and turning on the air.   :)

I mounted the unit on the wall near the phone and above the alarm pad.   works for me. In fact I run it on batteries, I replace them about twice a year, maybe a little less.

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 12:05:58 PM »
I to recommend Scaled Instruments. Always real helpful. As far as software Cumulus is good. It's donationware. If you're going to pay for a program I recommend Weather Display over VWS. You'll save 30$ and WD has much more features. Software is almost like equipment. Always good to shop around. WL IP doesn't require a computer to post to WU. Plugs into a router that sends the data to Davis's WeatherLink network which then forwards the data to WU, CWOP, etc. Any computer pulls the data from the IP address to be used by software.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline GeneDoc

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 10:53:18 PM »
Thanks all.  Talked to Ryan.  Very pleasant chat.  Look forward to playing along with others in your sandbox.

He had a good suggestion of getting a WL USB with a Vue console to connect to the laptop, indicating it would be well-suited to transfer all data I am interested in to the laptop.  I would then be able to use the VP2 console for the public area.  This option only costs $40 more than the WL IP version and it allows me to have the usb connection to the computer and then access other weather software.

BTW, "the wife" wasn't excited about entering a new career of meteorologist.  So, I opted to go with the second console.  I still think my favorite plan is the weather rock, but I don't have a big enough drill to run the chain through the rock to hang it from the deck.

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 11:18:01 PM »
I agree with Skywatch about Weather Display. Best bang for your buck in my opinion. Brian the author has excellent support for his product. He has a forum here http://www.weather-watch.com/smf/. I say get WD, a data logger then build a site and join the fun. Oh yea then a cam. HaHa it never ends. Have fun!

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline GeneDoc

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2014, 11:41:41 PM »
Oh yea then a cam. HaHa it never ends. Have fun!

Umm.  Perhaps I'm a bit further down this path than a complete novice.  I actually have two Foscam's.  The problem I had with them is I couldn't ever figure out how to set up two with web access, because I couldn't figure out how to get around the unique IP address issue.  It's convenient to have one to monitor the house while out of town.  But, getting both set up will be an issue for another day...  ](*,)

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2014, 11:44:56 PM »
Oh yea then a cam. HaHa it never ends. Have fun!

Umm.  Perhaps I'm a bit further down this path than a complete novice.  I actually have two Foscam's.  The problem I had with them is I couldn't ever figure out how to set up two with web access, because I couldn't figure out how to get around the unique IP address issue.  It's convenient to have one to monitor the house while out of town.  But, getting both set up will be an issue for another day...  ](*,)

I have 3 IP cams.  :-) If and when you decide to get them both set up just ask and we will help you out.  :grin:
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 11:48:19 PM by cospringswx »

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline GeneDoc

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2014, 09:19:20 AM »
I have 3 IP cams.  :-) If and when you decide to get them both set up just ask and we will help you out.  :grin:

Ok, you have me curious.  Is there a reference you used that you could point me towards so you don't have to waste a lot of time holding my hand?  I did a quick search on this site and didn't see much show up, though it's likely my search was not exhaustive.  I don't want to burden people with this, but I'm interested in getting the cameras set up.  I had used a No-IP account and set up an IP address, but let it lapse after I didn't get both cameras working.  So, before I renew the No-IP account, I thought I post here in response to your kind offer of assistance.

I found one site which I thought I could use:
http://ipcamnetwork.wordpress.com/2010/09/23/acessing-your-camera-from-the-internet/
Perhaps it shows all the steps you think I should follow and you won't have to say anything besides just what is in the linked site.

Thanks again for your offer.  The new weather toys arrive in a few days...

Offline ed2kayak

• Ed
  • Forecaster
  • Davis Vantage Pro2 w/12 hr FARS, solar/uv
    • Cumberland Valley Weather
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2014, 03:56:59 PM »
you could just get an extra console for the kitchen

I did this, it works well.
Ed
CoCoRaHS PA-CD-6,  Weather Underground KPAMECHA7, CWOP DW5425

Offline GeneDoc

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2014, 10:23:45 PM »
you could just get an extra console for the kitchen
I did this, it works well.

Good.  That's what I ended up doing.  UPS.com says I only have to wait four more day.  Ugh...can't be patient....

Offline GeneDoc

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2014, 12:01:54 AM »
This PWS setup was a breeze.  Very nice hardware.  Thanks for the encouragement and assistance.

I am now hooked into Weather Underground and can see my PWS online there.  Now I just need help figuring out how to add my WU sticky to the signature here.  I don't know how to put in the HTML so it is read appropriately.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2014, 12:07:08 AM »
Is this you? If not what is your ID?

or

« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 12:27:05 AM by cospringswx »

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2014, 12:20:38 AM »
Now I just need help figuring out how to add my WU sticky to the signature here.  I don't know how to put in the HTML so it is read appropriately.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

At the top of the page under HELP, click on Bulletin Board Code (BBC):

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Bulletin_board_code

and here:

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Basic_Bulletin_Board_Codes

This is used instead of HTML posting and in profile signatures.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 12:23:02 AM by SlowModem »
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2014, 12:27:38 AM »
Someone on the forum who uses the WU image in their signature should just send him a copy of their code. That will make it much easier for him to learn how to do it for himself... I would but I don't use the WU image.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2014, 12:31:04 AM »
Here it is....

Code: [Select]
[url=http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KWIWAUSA10][img]http://banners.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/banner/ban/wxBanner?bannertype=pws250_both&weatherstationcount=KWIWAUSA10[/img][/url]

Edit your Station ID to produce the correct image. :grin:

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2014, 08:20:52 AM »
Someone on the forum who uses the WU image in their signature should just send him a copy of their code. That will make it much easier for him to learn how to do it for himself... I would but I don't use the WU image.

This is the code for my sticker.  You can just substitute your WU ID and put it in your signature box in your profile.

Code: [Select]
[img]http://banners.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/banner/ban/wxBanner?bannertype=wxstnsticker_both&weatherstationcount=KTNTENMI3[/img]
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline GeneDoc

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2014, 12:12:28 AM »
Thank you.  I was hoping to use the one with the shockwave format and couldn't figure out how to use it.  The sticker using the HTML works fine.  Thank you.