Author Topic: Davis  (Read 2930 times)

Offline hdmax

• Wunderground, my back yard
Davis
« on: June 13, 2011, 07:42:03 PM »

I am new here, so hi to everyone.
 Last week I received my brand new Davis Vantage Pro 2 weather station. From everything I am reading, looks like I made a very good purchase.
   I mounted it at eye level about 150 from the road, and 45 feet from the back of my home. I do however want to move the anemometer because I live in a valley and the wind readings were very low during a storm we had the second day it was up. Weather was reported as having 40-50 mph gust, while my station never registered above 13 mph. And the tops of the trees here were really moving around.

I just ordered an Serial card for my PC, and ordered the data logger from rainmanweather.com After finding this forum, I think I did ok for a first timer with my choices!

This is my first weather station, but for more than 20 years, I have had rain gauges, and indoor outdoor thermometers. Weather has always intrigued me since I was maybe 9 or 10 (I am 52) when I witnessed a huge lightening strike that destroyed an Oak tree that was at least 4 feet in diameter.
 I have a 12 year old son that is the same way when it comes to weather, so I thought it was time to get into weather watching along with my son.

I look forward to reading, and learning from all of you here.

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
Re: Davis
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 08:09:17 PM »
  Welcome to the forum!!!  I think you have done well.  Looking forward to see how things turn out.  Keep us up to date!
   Mark

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 08:21:53 PM »
Welcome, hdmax.  Are you planning on using an anemometer transmitter or a cable extension to move the anemometer to a less wind-sheltered spot?
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline Gulfcoast

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 08:26:02 PM »
Welcome...   :-)

Offline hdmax

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 08:54:26 PM »
I was thinking that if I raise the anemometer 20-30 feet off the ground it should have much better readings. But I am open to suggestions from the forum. Moving the anemometer to another location really won't help unless I moved it to someone Else's property, and that would require a few transmitters I am sure, because I would have to move it at least 1500 feet up over a hill through the woods. (Not even sure if that is doable.

Thanks all for the warm welcome.

Welcome, hdmax.  Are you planning on using an anemometer transmitter or a cable extension to move the anemometer to a less wind-sheltered spot?

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 09:20:54 PM »
20-30 feet off the ground  is very doable with the attached 40' anemometer cable so it sounds as though you won't need any cable extensions.
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline DJMWX86

• Senior Contributor
  • I LOVE WX!
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 09:23:42 PM »
You picked a great choice. I had a Oregon Scientfic station for a number of years in which all the senors started failing one by one and their customer service was very poor so I did alot of research and found that Davis was well known had good customer support and their products out last most of the  other guys out there. I too started loving weather about that age (4th grade) I'll never understand why  :? but I'm glad I did. I send my data to weather web sites like weatherundergrounnd.com, weatherforyou.com, etc I'm sure going through this lovely fourm you'll find more about this. I also kept a weather diary and recorded my station readings and weather observation for 10 years as my pearnts got me the diary for christmas as they knew I loved the hobby. That's one thing you and your son can work on. It's really neat to go back so many years and see what you wrote down and saw. Good luck with your station and welcome.  =D>  \:D/
Thanks.
Doug
CW2334=CWOP
KOHMOREL1=WUnderground
OH-CY-13=CoCoRaHS
WX Station: Davis VP2 6152 (Wireless)
WX OS: VWS 15.00
VWSaprs: v. 2.0.2.0.

[

Offline hdmax

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 09:36:43 PM »

I have the calenders from the last 12 years, those are my weather diaries. I have missed reporting many times, but all the extremes such as record tempetures, rain, and snow are recorded Like March 4, 1987 we had a huge ice storm, and 13 months later to the day we had the biggest April snow storm ever recorded with 23" here at home, while other near by placed reported up to 29"
I agree with you, it's nice being able to go back and look at this type of weather info.
You picked a great choice. I had a Oregon Scientfic station for a number of years in which all the senors started failing one by one and their customer service was very poor so I did alot of research and found that Davis was well known had good customer support and their products out last most of the  other guys out there. I too started loving weather about that age (4th grade) I'll never understand why  :? but I'm glad I did. I send my data to weather web sites like weatherundergrounnd.com, weatherforyou.com, etc I'm sure going through this lovely fourm you'll find more about this. I also kept a weather diary and recorded my station readings and weather observation for 10 years as my pearnts got me the diary for christmas as they knew I loved the hobby. That's one thing you and your son can work on. It's really neat to go back so many years and see what you wrote down and saw. Good luck with your station and welcome.  =D>  \:D/

Offline Wx4U

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 10:24:23 PM »
I have my anny on a 30' channel master telescoping mast, plus a 6' piece of chainlink fence rail (cost about $100 + guy wires). It really improved the readings.
Bob
Retired USAF Air Traffic Controller, Davis VP2 Wireless, WLS 5.8.2, LaCrosse 2308, Logitech Pro 9000 (Roof mounted on rotor), CoCoRaSh gauge, KTXARLIN35, Compaq Presario W/Vista

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 12:12:12 AM »
I bought my VP2 not too long ago. Trial and error is for the most part he biggest element of owning a weather station. Moving the anemometer higher really helps. My WMR100 (Had her for 4 years. Still working!) First I had it mounted on the 6 Ft of pole that was included. Then I mounted it on a higher pole at 10 Ft. Better but not best. Then I moved it to the fence, by then she was at 14 Ft. Still not much better. Last year and you might want to do this too, is your local home improvement/hardware store should sell 10 ft sections of steel or aluminum fencing as mentioned in the post below. Hook them together with the right size couplings. If they're not supporting smaller diameters on the way up or if you don't have any real reinforcement (fence or other foundation objects, guy wires are recommended. I don't use them. I have my stations (Vantage Pro2 and WMR100) mounted 25 Ft steel un-tethered, stood up to 60 MPH winds with no problem. Higher towers/poles are better. The NWS standard is 33 Ft (10 Meters). The closer the better. Flag poles are usefull, but as flags are ment to be taken down durring high winds and fierce weather, I'm not shure flag poles are designed for such intence winds. I've seen them get bent in half with no more than 20 MPH. Look for thicker than 30 millimeters thick if it's free standing without tethers in regions with winds that can get over 50 MPH durring seveir weather.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

anything