Author Topic: Carterlake Warnings/Advisories script  (Read 3644 times)

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
Carterlake Warnings/Advisories script
« on: July 21, 2008, 05:00:49 PM »
I have been trying to configure this and while I have it set up. I am not sure if it is working correctly, so I have a few questions about it so bare with me. I currently have it set in wxindex.php to this..

//
$useTopWarning = true;  // set to true to use only the rss-top-warning script
//                         set to false to use the rss-advisory script instead

With this setting I don't get a box at all that says "No current advisories, watches, or warnings for XXXX location" like I do if I set it to false and use the rss-advisory script instead. So when using the rss-top-warning script should I get that box also that shows even when their is nothing to display, because I would like that to display? If I use the rss-advisory script  by setting it to false I get the box but it doesn't follow the CSS class for the .advisoryBoxnoactive when their is nothing to display to show the different box color, it uses the .advisoryBox for everything. I would like to be able to display a box when their is nothing going on but with a different color like it is suppose to be. Also what is the difference between the two scripts. Does the rss-advisory script show and do the same thing as the rss-top-warning script?

-Thanks

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
Re: Carterlake Warnings/Advisories script
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 01:41:45 AM »
That's the primary difference between the two scripts:

rss-top-warning.php displays nothing if there are not active Watches, Warnings or Advisories.  If there is one, it displays the one most severe advisory found (Warning, Watch, Advisory, Special Weather Statement in that order)

rss-advisory.php displays 'There are no active watches, warnings or advisories for zone ssZnnn' if there are none.  If there are alerts, it will display the entire list of alerts for the area.

It's your choice whether to use one or the other script.  For 'display nothing if nothing to say', select the rss-top-warning.

Best regards,
Ken
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline richbny

• Hudson Valley Radio Weather
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 05:57:07 AM »
I have a question on the script, I can it to work for one zone, but here in NY I would like to post advisorys for about 12 zones. My county is two zones east and west and several others are the same way.  I am using the file method and would like to cache them to limit the noaa traffic. the cache limits the script after one pass. Is there a way to input a zone list for one output txt file?
Great work , thanks in advance
Rich
http://weather.hvradio.net

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 08:38:11 AM »
Rich, I have 6 different warnings zones on my site. I had to create multiple copies of the warning script for each zone I wanted.
Tony

Offline richbny

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 02:02:25 PM »
I Thought that would work , but i was hoping that one script could loop thru the list. thanks for the reply
Rich

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 04:57:00 PM »
I am in the same the same process of trying to do the same thing. I have trying to show all of North Texas because my zone just covers my county. My state region is like 12-15 zones. That is just to many files to have to make to have in the root. If you were able to set up sub dir to keep things organized it wouldn't be a big deal. Look into interwarn and then install a scroller.

Offline richbny

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 03:50:56 AM »
i went another route using a rss reader to display the info then if clicked go to the source noaa page.
i used a free php script call "rss.lib" and used it's calls for the advisories
i have the file and my rough example of how i use it.. how do i post them ?

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 01:11:33 PM »
I would love to see it. That is what I was looking for was a RSS solution. Can you just pull certain counties or zones?

Offline richbny

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 01:12:45 AM »
i've used it on my home page , take a look   http://weather.hvradio.net   tell me what you think!  Rich

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 04:08:24 AM »
Yea I like that, I am looking for something like that. I am sure I could write up something for the home page that will only display active weather statements so you don't have all the wasted space with non weather statements. How did you go about setting that up?