Author Topic: Vantage Vue Rain Accuracy  (Read 17049 times)

Offline Sartori

Re: Vantage Vue Rain Accuracy
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2010, 10:13:24 AM »
Thanks for the PDF, that was pretty interesting reading! I want a 2-D Video Disdrometer, yeah thats the ticket:)

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2010, 11:44:40 AM »
There's also a more general PDF resume available of gauge height and other variables on rainfall measurement which I have posted before some time back, but maybe a reminder would be useful:

http://www.onerain.com/includes/pdf/whitepaper/InconsistentRainGageRecords.pdf
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2010, 01:24:00 PM »
Which is why I asked Sartori about the vertical distance between gauges. 

Also, Sartori's Vue is mounted about 3 or 4 ft. above a large, pitched, smooth metal roof - ideal for enhancing any disturbance of even small wind currents.   And perhaps higher than the 20 ft. in the Figure 2 graph.

I've never seen a significant rain event when it was "dead calm when it was raining".  I'm inclined to say that's technically impossible.

Offline Sartori

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2010, 01:46:29 PM »
There's also a more general PDF resume available of gauge height and other variables on rainfall measurement which I have posted before some time back, but maybe a reminder would be useful:

http://www.onerain.com/includes/pdf/whitepaper/InconsistentRainGageRecords.pdf

Yes, very interesting read too, am learning:)

Offline Sartori

« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2010, 02:08:21 PM »
Hello

Just thought I would let you guys know that I did get the Vantage Vue synced up with the CoCoRahs gauge now. Every rain event now is either spot on or within a .01 or .02 of each other. And yes I did temporarily mount the gauge up by the station. After that I moved the gauge back to where it was originally....

It took quite a bit of trial and error but I got it....

I'm currently uploading my data to the NWS and the station is showing up on the MesoWest site...

Thanks for all your input and help!

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2010, 03:06:21 PM »
Thanks for the update.  One question: (below)

Just thought I would let you guys know that I did get the Vantage Vue synced up with the CoCoRahs gauge now. Every rain event now is either spot on or within a .01 or .02 of each other. And yes I did temporarily mount the gauge up by the station. After that I moved the gauge back to where it was originally....

So, are you saying that after you moved the gauge back to where it was originally, the Vue and the CoCoRahs gauge now read the same for every rain event?

[If not, then how much variation?]

That information will be very helpful to others, in the future.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 03:08:03 PM by dalecoy »

Offline Pick

• My Weather Station
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2010, 03:10:26 PM »
Mine varies. This morning it was spot on. However for the monthly total the Vue is off by -.63" for the month of June.
8.6" CoCoRahs vs 7.97" for the Vue.

Mike
Vantage Vue
Weather Display 10.37O
CoCoRahs FL-AL-17
KFLHIGHS1

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2010, 04:52:17 PM »
Mine varies. This morning it was spot on. However for the monthly total the Vue is off by -.63" for the month of June.
8.6" CoCoRahs vs 7.97" for the Vue.

Thanks - but my question was aimed at Sartori, who seems to have argued with advice, then taken some of it, and then not come back to answer questions.  So, we have no idea of his real results.

Sartori's Vue and CoCoRahs are apparently very far apart vertically and horizontally.

I sometimes get really discouraged when people ask for advice, and then don't provide followup information.

Offline Pick

• My Weather Station
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2010, 11:22:20 AM »
Well, it is what it is. Mine are about 75 feet apart, Cocorahs is at 5' above ground and the Vue is 15' above ground. I report what the CocoRahs gauge says to them and that is, in my opinion the "gold standard". The Vue just tells me it's raining, about how much, and I need to check the other guage.

Mike
Vantage Vue
Weather Display 10.37O
CoCoRahs FL-AL-17
KFLHIGHS1

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2010, 11:38:29 AM »
Well, it is what it is. Mine are about 75 feet apart, Cocorahs is at 5' above ground and the Vue is 15' above ground. I report what the CocoRahs gauge says to them and that is, in my opinion the "gold standard". The Vue just tells me it's raining, about how much, and I need to check the other guage.

Yes, and thanks for describing that.  As I recall, Sartori's Vue is about 20 ft. up, above a metal roof - and his CocoRahs-type gauge is mounted at normal height, and he expected to be able to get them to always agree.  He reported some detailed differences in readings.

After finally convincing him that he needed to calibrate with them physically "together", he said:

So, I'm curious as to how "together" the readings are, now that he has done the calibration and then moved them apart. 

I'm rather sure I know the answer - but it would be nice to hear from Sartori.

Offline utahweatherbear

• Senior Contributor
    • Weatherbear's World
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2010, 01:37:50 PM »
have had several storms, seems to run about 10-15% low on rainfall compared to my 4" gauge and WS-3610 tipping bucket. main difference...vue is roof mounted and gets more wind, other 2 are not on roof and pretty much wind protected most of the time. had a fairly light wind rain event overnight, 4" gauge had .22, 3610 recorded .20, and the vue reported .19 ... have yet to use the console rain correction... instead am using the rain tweak in WUHU, which is nice because you can tweak the rain after the fact, and it will correct and send updated rainfall to the servers. the vue correction only applies as the rain falls, not for past rain. anyway, not a huge issue IMHO, and since it is likely due to wind more than an inaccurate rain gauge, will continue to tweak as needed. if I can get a reliable correction over the passage of time, probably should just go ahead and use the console correction. anyone else having rainfall issues?

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2010, 02:29:19 PM »
Not me, but mine is only 9' off the ground.

Offline Ray Proudfoot

• Forecaster
    • Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2010, 04:26:44 PM »
We had another rain event last night,

PMFJI but is that American for "it rained last night"? This expression is creeping into British TV weather reports. Last winter we had 'snow events' meaning it snowed. Will a hurricane be known as an extreme wind event?

I don't understand why it's used when there's a much simpler alternative.  ](*,)