Author Topic: WS-2902a firmware not appearing  (Read 438 times)

Offline madkiwi

WS-2902a firmware not appearing
« on: January 23, 2019, 12:17:05 AM »
Last week I had some weird behavior, and was advised here to update the WS-2902a firmware from 4.0.7, I see we're now up to 4.0.10 https://ambientweather.net/help/firmware-changes-ws-2902a/

I was at the house Saturday. Opened AWNET, I was expecting 4.0.8 but no updates showed up.

Is it fixed yet?

WS-2902A WU:KMTFLRE23
WS-2813 WU:KMTMISS015

Offline kbellis

• Forecaster
Re: WS-2902a firmware not appearing
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 03:33:41 PM »
Mark, it's v4.1.0 from everything I've seen.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: WS-2902a firmware not appearing
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 09:25:43 PM »
Here is a few things to double check and try.

- Close the app and/or restart your mobile device. Then try again.

- On you mobile device is WiFi enabled? Sometimes people disable WiFi on their mobile phone and forget to turn it back on. If you run awnet with WiFi turned off it won't find your weather station console. I just thought of this but someone should suggest to Ambient to enable a check when running awnet that prompts to turn WiFi back on if it was disabled.

- Some people have some home networks that are not properly configured. I've seen cable modems with WiFi enabled and then they connect their own WiFi router also to the modem. These are gateway modems with build in routers and WiFi. In this situation it is possible to end up with two different WiFi networks. Sometimes the user even creates the same WiFi SSID as the cable modem. But the problem then ensues that your mobile device might connect to the modems WiFi and the weather station connects to the add on router's WiFi. Essentially what occurs then is that each device is on a separate network subnet and the two devices can't see each other. I recommend that if you have your own WIFi router that you disable your cable modem's WiFi. Ask your cable company to put your modem in "Bridge Mode" while you are at it. They can do that remotely and disable the WiFi which sucks anyway on their equipment. Better to have your own WiFi (if you spend money on a good WiFi router).

- I've also seen see people create a similar situation where they connect two WiFi routers to each other to extend the WiFi coverage. The second WiFi router needs to be in AP mode so that it no longer is a router and just a WiFi AP. Doing this disables DHCP server service on the 2nd router. Then you need to connect the 2nd router to its LAN port so that it makes a LAN to LAN Ethernet connection to the main router. Otherwise you end up with a similar situation to above with two routers both acting as a firewall and different subnets, where devices can't see each other. In some cases it is okay to use the Internet port as an uplink to the main router only if the router supports that in AP mode only ...or when it becomes part of a wired mesh of WiFi access points.

Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole