Author Topic: Ambient "nailed it" with the WS-2000!!  (Read 6960 times)

Offline davefr

• Senior Contributor
Ambient "nailed it" with the WS-2000!!
« on: October 18, 2018, 11:18:35 AM »
I bought a WS-2000 after returning a problematic Acurite Atlas. So far so good!

What I love about it:
+ Setup was very easy
+ This system is totally wireless except for the power to the console.  Sensor to console via RF and console to router via WiFi. Unlike kits from Acurite and Davis that require hard wired Ethernet connections, separate hubs, overpriced WeatherlinkIP dongles, etc.
+ Excellent connectivity experience for far.  (110' sensor to console and 30' console to router)
+ Fantastic HD console. (Beautiful display, great viewing angle, well organized information)
+ Time display is direct from NIST servers real time!!
+ Love the sunrise, sunset moving display
+ Tons of special calibration features if needed
+ A real in depth manual written in English (vs a one page cartoon)
+ Share date with WU, Ambientweather.net, PWS (unlike Davis and Acurite)
+ Separate indoor temp/humidity/pressure transmitter can be placed where it's most optimal
+ Ability to add extra sensors and configure alerts
+ Spare parts availability if needed
+ Configuration settings don't go away if console power is lost
+ Temperature readings are very accurate as compared to a Mercury lab grade thermometer.

What I'd like to see:
- A touch screen display would sure make configuration easier and allow for a little larger display area if buttons were eliminated.
- The console really needs a signal strength indicator for the RF signal from Osprey sensor to console. (to optimize product placement).

In summary, Ambient really nailed it with this kit.  Davis might have a higher quality outdoor sensor but the rest of their kit is ancient technology (no WiFi, no color HD display).  Acurite is fraught with technical problems, shoddy product quality and lack of good customer support infrastructure.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 11:20:49 AM by davefr »

Offline KK7X

• Contributor
  • KIDRATHD3
    • Rathdrum Weather
Re: Ambient "nailed it" with the WS-2000!!
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 11:30:22 AM »
I too just purchased a WS-2000 and concur with your evaluation. 

I am replacing a Acurite 5 in 1. 

You mentioned what you would like to see on the display:

I would like to see:
    More sharing options
    Battery backup (I can connect to my UPS)

Offline Sir_MAK

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 12:31:27 PM »
Another plus - Can add up to 8 additional T/H sensors.
You can also connect to WeatherCloud, but you have to use the awnet phone app for that.
I wish the display was bigger.

I switched from the Acurite 5in1 to the WS2902 a year ago at one locations and just purchased a WS2000, when it first was available, for different location.  Been pleased with both.
Ambient WS-2000, Central Ohio - WU WC
Ambient
WS-2902, Lake Erie   -    WU WC

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 12:32:17 PM »
I'm pleased with my WS-2902A that was released before the WS-2000 (same outdoor sensor array). I'd like to upgrade my display to the 2000 display. Can't wait till it is available separately.

But you may want to update your comparison. Davis has a few WiFi logger options that can be placed in the display console.

I agree with what you would like to see plus I would add the following.
- direct data to PC that does not involve screen scraping the ObserverIP. Sure this could be done with man-in-the-middle advanced networking skills. I'm actually working on a solution for this (more later on this).
- Touch screen you mentioned should have customizable layout options.
- ambientweather.net should add alert for connectivity loss
- additional sensors should include things like soil and leaf wetness
- I'd like to see upgrade of SHT30 sensor to better SHT31 or upcoming SHT85.
- better radiation shield with FARS
- separate anemometer
- RF via selectable channels. This would allow multiple stations at one location.
- increased RF range to 1000 ft.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 02:06:26 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline davefr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 01:22:03 PM »

But you may want to update your comparison. Davis has a few WiFi logger options that can be placed in the display console.

What are the Davis WiFi options?  I'm only aware of 3rd party options like Weatherbridge.  Weatherbridge and the Davis Weatherlink USB dongle bring the cost up to around $700 from what I've read.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 02:01:11 PM »

What are the Davis WiFi options?  I'm only aware of 3rd party options like Weatherbridge.  Weatherbridge and the Davis Weatherlink USB dongle bring the cost up to around $700 from what I've read.

If you are specifically referring to a Davis branded solution then yes you are correct, there is no WiFi solution. But saying that if you buy a Davis that then there is no WiFi option, because Davis themselves don't provide it, sends a potentially incomplete message to a less informed person.

Besides the WeatherBridge WiFi you mentioned (a Meteobridge Nano) there is also the WiFi Logger:
https://www.scaledinstruments.com/shop/davis-instruments/wifilogger/

The Meteobridge Pro is another WiFi solution.

Yes all of those are 3rd party.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 02:04:46 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 02:32:46 PM »
Is the Anny separate from the Rain and Temp?  If not, I'm not interested.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 08:15:45 PM »
One more thing I'd like to add is that the outdoor sensor array is very nice looking. I never cared for the previous generation models.
Tele-Pole

Offline Sir_MAK

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2018, 08:29:13 PM »
Is the Anny separate from the Rain and Temp?  If not, I'm not interested.

Nope, all one piece.
Ambient WS-2000, Central Ohio - WU WC
Ambient
WS-2902, Lake Erie   -    WU WC

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2018, 09:18:13 PM »
so far happy with my ws2000 as well...not convinced my wind speeds are always correct, but I only have it 10' up in the air, so I guess I shouldnt expect it to be 100% correct.
Everything else is right on point though, and, as others have said, its signal is very strong to the console, and it found everything it needed to in minutes..
Maybe they'll offer a working lightning detector some day \:D/

Offline SWX

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2018, 02:48:39 PM »
I'm pleased with my WS-2902A that was released before the WS-2000 (same outdoor sensor array). I'd like to upgrade my display to the 2000 display. Can't wait till it is available separately.

I agree with what you would like to see plus I would add the following.
- direct data to PC that does not involve screen scraping the ObserverIP. Sure this could be done with man-in-the-middle advanced networking skills. I'm actually working on a solution for this (more later on this).
- Touch screen you mentioned should have customizable layout options.
- ambientweather.net should add alert for connectivity loss
- additional sensors should include things like soil and leaf wetness
- I'd like to see upgrade of SHT30 sensor to better SHT31 or upcoming SHT85.
- better radiation shield with FARS
- separate anemometer
- RF via selectable channels. This would allow multiple stations at one location.
- increased RF range to 1000 ft.

They do through IFTTT:

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Ambient/IFTTT offers a whole range of notifications/actions, and you can create your own, this has quickly become one of my favorite features of the 2902.

I agree with everything else, a better radiation shield with a fan and soil/leaf sensors would push this system to an “A” for me. A detachable (or additional/separate) anemometer and a heated rain gauge would be amazing to have as well, but those are pipe dreams.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 02:51:57 PM by SupaWX »
Wunderground / PWS Weather
Ambient Weather WS-2902A
Ambient WeatherBridge
Ecowitt GW1000
Ecowitt WH31
Ecowitt WH41
Ecowitt WH51 x 2
Ecowitt WH57
Ecowitt WS68

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2018, 02:51:27 PM »
Ah yes IFTTT. I should have thought of that as I'm currently using it for other things. Thanks!
Tele-Pole

Offline davefr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2018, 06:32:10 PM »
AW.net's Dashboard also has an alert for "Device not reporting for 20 minutes" either via email or SMS.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2018, 06:43:22 PM »
AW.net's Dashboard also has an alert for "Device not reporting for 20 minutes" either via email or SMS.

Now that is new. I looked for that before there and did not find it. Thanks!

Tele-Pole

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2018, 12:26:14 AM »
This would be perfect, i already have a vp2 + but it obviously does not work with alexa, theres shoddy work arounds the mostly do not work so i am after one thats low cost and will work with alexa and IFTTT, but, it looks like this one aint available in the uk :(
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2018, 01:46:25 AM »
No separate Anny AND feeding Jeff's SpyBox?

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
    • https://weather34.com/homeweatherstation
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2018, 02:34:54 AM »
yes nailed it at that price point but still limited to fixed wind,rain sensor positioning and it would definitley need a FARS of some sort in this location through the summer months and early afternoon sun at most times during the year.. one question how thick is the material for those wind cups particularly curious of long UV exposure .previous fine offset hardware always gets baked here .

Offline BKS97

• Senior Contributor
    • Sartell East Weather
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2018, 08:04:12 AM »
I bought a WS-2000 as a second station and agree that it has many good features.  But in my case, it hasn’t worked out well, at least yet.  I can’t get the display tablet wifi to connect with my router, a 2.4 GHz Actiontec GT784WN provided by my phone company, TDS Telecom.  I’ve tried everything, including all the troubleshooting steps recommended by Ambient Weather (AW).  Everything else with the WS-2000 works well, with a steady signal from the outdoor sensor array 82 feet away in my yard.  The display tablet works fine, but when I call for a wifi scan, my router does not show up on the tablet screen.  Ambient Weather offers to provide an ObserverIP free of charge as a work around.  That essentially means the tablet would be useful only to view the current information.  Instead, data from the sensors would go directly to the ObserverIP, which is connected by an ethernet cable to the router.  Uploading to WU, calibrations, and connecting to ambientweather.net would be made through the ObserverIP instead of the tablet.  Has anyone else had trouble connecting the display to their router?

Offline davefr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2018, 09:15:29 AM »
I bought a WS-2000 as a second station and agree that it has many good features.  But in my case, it hasn’t worked out well, at least yet.  I can’t get the display tablet wifi to connect with my router, a 2.4 GHz Actiontec GT784WN provided by my phone company, TDS Telecom.  I’ve tried everything, including all the troubleshooting steps recommended by Ambient Weather (AW).  Everything else with the WS-2000 works well, with a steady signal from the outdoor sensor array 82 feet away in my yard.  The display tablet works fine, but when I call for a wifi scan, my router does not show up on the tablet screen.  Ambient Weather offers to provide an ObserverIP free of charge as a work around.  That essentially means the tablet would be useful only to view the current information.  Instead, data from the sensors would go directly to the ObserverIP, which is connected by an ethernet cable to the router.  Uploading to WU, calibrations, and connecting to ambientweather.net would be made through the ObserverIP instead of the tablet.  Has anyone else had trouble connecting the display to their router?

Did you try manual entry vs WiFi scan? I have a different model Actiontec router and the console did not find it with a WiFi scan.  However I entered the SSID and PWD manually and it connected right away.

Offline BKS97

• Senior Contributor
    • Sartell East Weather
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2018, 10:18:56 AM »
Did you try manual entry vs WiFi scan? I have a different model Actiontec router and the console did not find it with a WiFi scan.  However I entered the SSID and PWD manually and it connected right away.

Thanks.  I did enter the SSID manually several times but to no avail.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 06:01:56 AM by bks97 »

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2018, 10:32:07 AM »
look on the bottom or back of the router and there must be the password there..
or just try "password" as the password..

Offline BKS97

• Senior Contributor
    • Sartell East Weather
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2018, 11:04:24 AM »
look on the bottom or back of the router and there must be the password there..
or just try "password" as the password..

Bingo!  After a few tries, the display connected.  Many thanks to you and davefr for your help.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 06:05:35 AM by bks97 »

Offline MrM1

• North Central Florida
  • Contributor
    • Bethel Weather
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2018, 10:33:44 AM »
Is there a lightning sensor option for integration with either the WS2000 or WS2902a?   That was why  I was looking at the Acurite as early as 2 years ago.  The roll out of the Acurite Atlas after waiting 2 years (and countless requests to become a beta tester - LoL) seems to be abysmal.

I already have 2 WS-1401's with the ObServer IP that came with that.  Will the older ObServer IP work with the new sensor array if I upgrade the firmware?    Are the Sensor arrays the same for the 1550, 2902 and 2000?   So if I already have the ObServer IP I could just upgrade to the new sensor array (as long as I dont want the indoor display)?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 10:54:58 AM by MrM1 »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2018, 11:03:28 AM »
Is there a lightning sensor option for integration with either the WS2000 or WS2902a?   That was why  I was looking at the Acurite as early as 2 years ago.  The roll out of the Acurite Atlas after waiting 2 years (and countless requests to become a beta tester - LoL) seems to be abysmal.

I already have 2 WS-1401's with the ObServer IP that came with that.  Will the older ObServer IP work with the new sensor array if I upgrade the firmware?    Are the Sensor arrays the same for the 1550, 2902 and 2000?   So if I already have the ObServer IP I could just upgrade to the new sensor array (as long as I dont want the indoor display)?

No lightning sensor option available for Ambient Weather hardware. You can invest in a separate lightning detection device is about the best I could say.

Yes the ObserverIP you have will work with the new outdoor sensor array. All you have to do is upgrade the firmware. You keep using your existing WS-1000-BTH indoor sensor also.

Yes the outdoor sensor array for the WS-1550-IP, WS-2902A, and WS-2000 is exactly the same part. The WS-2000 display is very nice. Currently you can buy just about any part separately but the WS-2000 display is not yet for sale separately.
Tele-Pole

Offline WXman

• Stormdawg
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2018, 09:13:57 PM »
Is the 2000 display able to be dimmed for use on a nightstand?  Does it have a clock and/or alarm on the screen?
B.S. in Meteorology/Climatology

38.01977N, 84.83486W
Davis Vantage Pro 2 wireless station
AcuRite 5-n-1 w/ WiFi reporting to WU