Author Topic: Feature Request: Humidity Graphing  (Read 711 times)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Feature Request: Humidity Graphing
« on: August 08, 2018, 11:52:16 PM »
I was just hoping someone from Weather Underground reads this.

I think it would be nice to have graphing of outside humidity readings. Just a feature request. Should be simple since they are already getting this data.

WU should display humidity inside the temperature and dew point graph, since dew point is calculated based on temperature and humidity, so they are related. I don't want an extra separate humidity only graph. Just make it a different color line inside the temp/dew point graph. And add the humidity percentage scale to the right side of the graph as that is currently free for labeling.

I know, I know. Before anyone jumps on my back... Yes Weather Underground should fix a bunch of broken things before they waste time adding new features. I just thought I'd throw this out there for hopefully near future consideration.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 12:06:25 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline AF6GL

• Jeffries Ranch Weather Center
Re: Feature Request: Humidity Graphing
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 05:22:14 PM »
+1

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 07:15:57 PM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2017/07/12/stop-telling-us-to-use-percent-humidity-its-terrible-and-heres-why

RH% is a valid characteristic of AIR albeit temperature dependent. Dew point, however, is a less variable characteristic and often more preferred water-in-air characteristic.
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 07:34:24 PM »
What?? You mean when people say ad nauseam that it's 100°F and 99% humidity that they have absolutely no idea what they're talking about??
Say it ain't so.
:roll:

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 07:46:16 PM »
What?? You mean when people say ad nauseam that it's 100°F and 99% humidity that they have absolutely no idea what they're talking about??
Say it ain't so.
:roll:
...which is WHY the Devil's favorite saying is: "...Yes, but it's a DRY heat..."

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 10:56:01 PM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2017/07/12/stop-telling-us-to-use-percent-humidity-its-terrible-and-heres-why

I get it that dew point tells us better how saturated the air actually is rather than relative humidity. At least for weather related reporting and to know how humid it really is. But humidity has many uses that warrant it being graphed. If you want to know when fog might occur for example. Or if you want to know how quickly your grass or crops are loosing water moisture due to evaporation. Also the humidity is a real measurement in our equipment as opposed to dew point which is calculated using humidity sensor reading. It is better to be able to track your humidity sensor values to possibly uncover that your humidity sensor may need replacing. If you just go on dew point then you are just trusting that the humidity is actually being read correctly.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 10:58:23 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 12:49:37 PM »

I get it that dew point tells us better how saturated the air actually is rather than relative humidity. At least for weather related reporting and to know how humid it really is. But humidity has many uses that warrant it being graphed. If you want to know when fog might occur for example. Or if you want to know how quickly your grass or crops are loosing water moisture due to evaporation. Also the humidity is a real measurement in our equipment as opposed to dew point which is calculated using humidity sensor reading. It is better to be able to track your humidity sensor values to possibly uncover that your humidity sensor may need replacing. If you just go on dew point then you are just trusting that the humidity is actually being read correctly.

Fog @ T = Tdp = Twb

ie: fog occurs when Temp, dewpoint and wetbulb values converge to the same value (lookup Norman's Theorem).
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 01:51:48 PM by Old Tele man »