Author Topic: Possible Missile Launch?  (Read 5005 times)

Offline GregJ

• Forecaster
    • http://www.SkunkBayWeather.com
Possible Missile Launch?
« on: June 12, 2018, 11:51:56 PM »
I have to share this with my WxForum friends….  The other night my dedicated night cam caught a very controversial image….  This appears to be a missile launch from NAS Whidbey just north of us.  Here is the main pic…

Here is a cropped/zoomed in focus of the top of the plume…

To the naked eye, there is no doubt that this is a missile launch over a populated area.  I really didn’t want to go public with it until I had corroborating evidence that it was what appeared in this image.  I did this with the local news and a respected meteorologist in our area.  Here is the link to that article:  http://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2018/06/was-there-unannounced-missile-launch-on.html

Meanwhile (as expected) my life has been turned upside down.  About 4,000 notifications on Twitter today before 6:00pm, FB is non-stop….  I have had requests for the image from as far away as London...  The hits on my website are non-stop....

So…  The latest theory is that it was an Airlift NW helicopter flying over my house, which it did....  Just like it has on many other nights and never made an image like this….  What do you think?  Camera settings: 3.5/20 seconds/1600 iso.  Sebectec Canon software.

Compelling evidence is that there were no reports of loud noise on Whidbey....  Other than that, I am parking it as a "mystery"....

Thought I’d share,
Greg

« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 12:42:09 AM by GregJ »
Davis VP2 with VWS

"Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it." -- Mark Twain

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Re: Possible Missile Launch?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 12:30:35 AM »
Wow, quite a story.  Another great capture Greg, and the mystery continues!

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 04:48:37 AM »
My first though was a SAM whether accidental launch or test.  My second thought airplane contrail with light hitting it just right with the long exposure.  ;)
Randy

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 06:04:55 AM »
I think Greg has mastered Photoshop. :shock: :twisted: ;)
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 07:48:39 AM »
Greg, it is very easy to explain.  The object you see is the teleport tube of the USS Enterprise XIII as the ship is beaming Spock III up from a research mission.  Easly...

Btw, nice capture...somebody's squirming uneasily and the black SUVs will start being a more regular occurrence around your property, at the grocery store, riding down the road, etc.,.  Nothing to be alarmed about, just SOP.   :shock:

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 10:02:22 AM »
It's not Greg's secret any longer. Google nas whidbey launch and look at the hits showing his image.

Offline GregJ

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 10:21:50 AM »
Yep....  I knew when I decided to go public with this, it would be quite an event....

5,000 hits on my site yesterday
63,000 impressions on my Twitter account in the last 24 hours...
Lectures from my wife for ever releasing this thing....  :oops:  (That's the tough one)  :lol:
A Coast Guard boat sitting in front of my place for several hours yesterday....  (call me paranoid)

If you are on Twitter, it's probably worth a visit...  There are a WIDE variety of "interesting" comments out there...  It is entertaining....

Greg
Davis VP2 with VWS

"Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it." -- Mark Twain

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 10:22:35 AM »
So there you have it, sadly this wasn't anything more exciting than a helicopter flying in a straight line in the wee hours of a quiet Sunday morning on the picturesque Puget Sound. Above all else, this photo serves as another reminder that sometimes there is much more to an image than what immediately meets the eye.
OK let's do a survey:  Missile launch or Helicopter?

One thing for certain, our Greg is the forum's "hits" leader...

Paul

Offline GregJ

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 10:35:19 AM »
Thought I'd share this....  This is the distribution of the last 500 hits on my site....

Davis VP2 with VWS

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2018, 11:04:33 AM »
If we stop hearing from you,  I guess we will know why you have suddenly disappeared.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 11:29:50 AM »
So there you have it, sadly this wasn't anything more exciting than a helicopter flying in a straight line in the wee hours of a quiet Sunday morning on the picturesque Puget Sound. Above all else, this photo serves as another reminder that sometimes there is much more to an image than what immediately meets the eye.
OK let's do a survey:  Missile launch or Helicopter?

One thing for certain, our Greg is the forum's "hits" leader...

Paul

If you don't add contrail/vapor trail the survey is FAKE.   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2018, 11:34:36 AM »
I should say airplane with no wings contrail/vapor trail.  :lol:
Randy

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2018, 12:09:28 PM »
Yep....  I knew when I decided to go public with this, it would be quite an event....

Lectures from my wife for ever releasing this thing....  :oops:  (That's the tough one)  :lol:
A Coast Guard boat sitting in front of my place for several hours yesterday....  (call me paranoid)

If you are on Twitter, it's probably worth a visit...  There are a WIDE variety of "interesting" comments out there...  It is entertaining....

Greg
Those are the wrong antennas for a Coast Guard boat...

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2018, 12:22:36 PM »
Looks like CIA to me.
Randy

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2018, 12:30:59 PM »
It has to be a rocket.

I added you to my twitter weather list.

You are being watched. CIA, FBI, NSA, NASA, Secret Service, DPRK (now that is a twitter that is fun to read) NORAD, and every other acronym known to civilians.

Interestingly-this article popped up as a discussion on another forum.

People who overestimate their political knowledge tend to believe conspiracy theories
Posting just because I'll be amused to watch the discussion. Not that there's anyone here this would apply to. 

http://www.psypost.org/2018/06/peopl...theories-51447

People who overestimate their political knowledge are more likely to believe conspiracy theories
By ERIC W. DOLAN June 11, 2018

People who overestimate their understanding of political issues are more likely to believe conspiracy theories, according to new research that appears in the European Journal for Social Psychology.

“Conspiracy theories about government actors and institutions are widespread across the political ideological spectrum,” remarked study author Joseph A. Vitriol, a postdoctoral research associate at Lehigh University. “These beliefs attribute outsized influence to hidden actors or clandestine groups who are perceived as the root cause of an important world event, action, or outcome.”

“Because conspiracy beliefs often preserve discredited assumptions or serve as a basis for dismissing information that challenges one’s worldview, they are often difficult to correct (as is true for many political misperceptions) and can therefore undermine the ability for citizens to effectively and ethically engage in the political process.”

“Indeed, these beliefs are not constrained to the politically disengaged or the uninformed. Instead, conspiracy theories are commonly endorsed and propagated by actors at the highest levels of political power and, as a result, are consequential for public policy,” Vitriol said.

“In short, conspiracy beliefs are important influences on citizens’ political judgment and behavior. This can undermine the ability of elected officials to address problems in society with evidence-based public policy and governance. By investigating the psychological underpinning of conspiracy beliefs, we are better able to understand how these beliefs form and spread. We are also better able to identify strategies for informing or educating the public and combating the influence of false and fabricated information on political psychology and behavior.”

(more at the link)

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2018, 03:10:09 PM »
Looks like CIA to me.
If we had a shot of the rear of the boat we could tell if it was trailing an ELF antenna for sending data to a submerged submarine...I'd say it was black ops if there was.

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2018, 03:12:14 PM »
I ain't no Twit.  Ain't never gonna be a Twit.

That's a .....    weather balloon ....  yeah, that's it.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2018, 03:15:34 PM »

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2018, 03:28:47 PM »
'Greetings Professor Falken .....  '

'Hello Joshua'

Offline GregJ

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2018, 03:39:34 PM »
We are at the entrance to Hood Canal...  Just to the west of us.  That is where Bangor is.  We have Trident subs going up and down there all the time.  We also have these CG boats around frequently....  Most of the time they are just going by.  The timing of this boat coming up and just sitting out in front of our place for that long is rare....

Greg
Davis VP2 with VWS

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2018, 03:55:19 PM »
We have Trident subs going up and down there all the time.

Well, there you go.  May not have come from the base at all.

Just sending a load of fresh Lobster up to the space station.

Offline Jstx

• Senior Contributor
  • Baby the Rain Must Fall
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2018, 04:52:26 PM »

Greg

Greg,
That's the USCGC 'Sea Lion' watching you.
It's one of the "Marine Protector" class of WPB's (patrol boats), 87' long, displaces 91 tons, 25kt top speed. 74 boats, laid down from 1999 to 2009.
They haven't unlimbered the M2 .50cal's, so you're OK.
Several of them are assigned to guard the USN sub base in Bangor, WA.
USCGC Sea Lion   WPB-87352   Bellingham, WA

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_Protector-class_patrol_boat

(Some of my kids are Coasties, but not on these 'small' boats; soon leaving the West Coast with a PCS.
I've seen local boats in this class for many years, hail them on the VHF, got boarded a couple of times for 'inspection', etc. I've seen them anchored having diving exercises from them too.
I got a serious lesson in 'not taking pictures of military assets' (USN) by a crewmember/guest once while cruising around. They have some heavy surveillance optics in use, the better to watch you   :shock:.)

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2018, 05:03:40 PM »
I ain't no Twit.  Ain't never gonna be a Twit.

That's a .....    weather balloon ....  yeah, that's it.
I just got this eerie phone call...  I agree, I agree,...it was a weather balloon!!!!!   
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 05:07:23 PM by Intheswamp »

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2018, 06:01:55 PM »
Now y'all knows why I ain't never posted my whereabouts nowheres'

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2018, 06:02:40 PM »
Really, guys, settle down.

If the Gov were dumb enough to send something classified off near where hundreds of folks live, especially with the  inherent danger of sideline damage, they really aren't worried about who could see it.

I'm anxious to find out what this really is, if we ever find out.

To think that Greg  has attracted attention because of the weather web cam or security camera, then our military has a lot to worry about.  You can't be at fault for taking pix from either public or your own property.  The only reason they'd be worried if there were something nefarious going on, and they were going to do it again.  A simpler thing would be to turn off all the power in the area just before the next launch.
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

anything