Author Topic: Upgrading the firmware WS-2000  (Read 1864 times)

Offline tony

Upgrading the firmware WS-2000
« on: December 21, 2018, 09:08:06 AM »
I'm am not having any luck in upgrading the firmware for the ws-2000. I've tried everything with no success I even purchases new sd cards. I followed this procedure:
Instructions:
Download the latest bin file (below) to your your computer. Make a note of where you saved this file.
Copy the factory.bin to your MicroSD Card (the SD card must be empty).
Power down your display console by removing AC power.
Insert the SD Card into the display console.
Power up the display console.
The console will verify the firmware was updated.
Power down the console after complete. Remove the SD Card when the console is powered down.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Offline davefr

• Senior Contributor
Re: Upgrading the firmware WS-2000
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 10:30:59 AM »
That's the correct procedure.  I just did mine last week.

How did you format the card?

Did you read the card on your PC after you copied the file over to make sure it was there and properly named?

Did you copy it to the root directory?

Did you insert it correctly into the display to where it snapped in place? (at first I didn't insert mine all the way in)

Other then that, it may be time to contact Ambient. Good luck.

Offline tony

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 10:59:14 AM »

Thank Dave you for the reply. Hi, yes I did all those procedures and contacted tech support. I sent him screenshots of my sd card and he is puzzled as to what is wrong. I am waiting for another reply from them.

Offline abusuzuki

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 11:27:03 AM »
I had the same problem, The cause of my problem is that the bin filename was user(1) the problem was solved when I renamed it to user, make sure it isn't user(1) or user(2).

Also try to back up your data to the sd card in the settings to see if your device recognize the sd card
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 11:42:28 AM by abusuzuki »

Offline tony

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 01:37:46 PM »
Abusuzuki ....That  was the problem....it was user(1).bin. When I renamed it it solved the problem. Thank you so much.

Offline danoh

• AmbientCWOP.com
  • Contributor
    • AmbientCWOP
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2018, 08:18:30 AM »
So, to understand this, the file downloaded is user.bin, but they say the filename should be factory.bin.

Do we rename user.bin to factory.bin or just leave it as user.bin?
Ambient Weather station CWOP connector: AmbientCWOP.com

Offline danoh

• AmbientCWOP.com
  • Contributor
    • AmbientCWOP
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2018, 06:58:18 PM »
user.bin works even though the help page says factory.bin

Also ambweather firmware (wifi firmware) can be updated  using the awnet app on your phone.

Offline tony

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2018, 10:50:10 PM »
No, I renamed user(1).bin to user.bin.....That my issues alone because I had a few user.bin files. It wouldn't recognize user(1).bin or user(2).bin. I know nothing of factory.bin.

Offline danoh

• AmbientCWOP.com
  • Contributor
    • AmbientCWOP
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2018, 10:55:41 PM »
No, I renamed user(1).bin to user.bin.....That my issues alone because I had a few user.bin files. It wouldn't recognize user(1).bin or user(2).bin. I know nothing of factory.bin.

That's what I'm saying.  Ambient's instructions, as you pasted in your first post, say "Copy the factory.bin to your MicroSD Card (the SD card must be empty)." which is.confusing.

Offline Sir_MAK

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2018, 07:28:07 AM »
I noticed that too when I attempted my first firmware update.  Hate it when the manual is wrong.

I believe the awnet app only updates the WS-2902 display firmware.  Every time I have used it on my WS-2000 display it says something like "The firmware is already updated" or it does nothing.

After I copy the user.bin file to my SD I rename it on my PC to YYYYMMDD_(version)_user.bin for archiving purposes.  So I don't have the issue with Windows renaming it to user(1).bin if there is already a user.bin file in the download folder.

The SD does not appear to have to be empty as I have updated my from a SD that has other files on it.
Ambient WS-2000, Central Ohio - WU WC
Ambient
WS-2902, Lake Erie   -    WU WC

Offline danoh

• AmbientCWOP.com
  • Contributor
    • AmbientCWOP
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2018, 07:46:15 AM »
I noticed that too when I attempted my first firmware update.  Hate it when the manual is wrong.

I believe the awnet app only updates the WS-2902 display firmware.  Every time I have used it on my WS-2000 display it says something like "The firmware is already updated" or it does nothing.

After I copy the user.bin file to my SD I rename it on my PC to YYYYMMDD_(version)_user.bin for archiving purposes.  So I don't have the issue with Windows renaming it to user(1).bin if there is already a user.bin file in the download folder.

The SD does not appear to have to be empty as I have updated my from a SD that has other files on it.

I updated my WS2000 using awnet app to AmbWeather 4.0.7

Offline Sir_MAK

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2018, 07:56:45 AM »

Mmmm, I did have an issue with a AP in my house that was causing the WS-2000 to intermittently report to ambient.net (and WU).  I will have to try it again when the next firmware update comes out.  I already installed the second Dec 2018 update.
Ambient WS-2000, Central Ohio - WU WC
Ambient
WS-2902, Lake Erie   -    WU WC

Offline danoh

• AmbientCWOP.com
  • Contributor
    • AmbientCWOP
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2018, 07:59:34 AM »

Mmmm, I did have an issue with a AP in my house that was causing the WS-2000 to intermittently report to ambient.net (and WU).  I will have to try it again when the next firmware update comes out.  I already installed the second Dec 2018 update.

Ok that's just weird.  You're like Facebook listening to my conversations haha.

I JUST got done diagnosing the exact same issue at my house.  When WS2000 was connected to my backyard AP (96% signal strength) I was getting bad packet loss and bad ping times to the display, which caused WU and ambient updates to be sporadic.  I made the display connect to the indoor AP (89% signal strength) and everything is perfect now.

Except it seems the WS2000 doesn't rapid-fire to WU like it says it does in the product description.  It seesms to update to WU every 30 seconds instead of 16.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 08:01:54 AM by danoh »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2019, 03:47:25 PM »
it seems the WS2000 doesn't rapid-fire to WU like it says it does in the product description.  It seesms to update to WU every 30 seconds instead of 16.

Really?! Can someone else with a WS-2000 display console confirm this? I want to upgrade to a WS-2000 display console when they become available separately, but if it doesn't rapid fire to WU like the WS-2902A display console then I might have to rethink. Maybe I'll need to keep both active and only use the WS-2902A display console for WU reporting, and the WS-2000 for viewing only.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline kbellis

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2019, 11:25:14 AM »
I want to upgrade to a WS-2000 display console when they become available separately, but if it doesn't rapid fire to WU like the WS-2902A display console then I might have to rethink.

My understanding is less than desired; I thought your meteobridge software/ ObserverIP hardware was interceding between your console and the internet and that the collective assembly directed traffic to where ever when ever you've so programmed. Or is that impression all bollixed?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2019, 10:34:43 AM »
I want to upgrade to a WS-2000 display console when they become available separately, but if it doesn't rapid fire to WU like the WS-2902A display console then I might have to rethink.

My understanding is less than desired; I thought your meteobridge software/ ObserverIP hardware was interceding between your console and the internet and that the collective assembly directed traffic to where ever when ever you've so programmed. Or is that impression all bollixed?

With my hardware setup I have the ability or choice to upload to WU with 3 devices; the WS-2902A console, the ObserverIP, or the Meteobridge. I've actually set up 3 different WU Station IDs and had all 3 devices uploading simultaneously to their respective WU ID (never send data from multiple devices to the same WU ID). By doing this test comparison I discovered that I preferred how the WS-2902A console sends to WU. So my WS-2902A console is my WU uploader and I don't use the other devices for WU reporting. There is another thread where I posted my reasons for choosing the WS-2902A as my WU uploader.
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=34976.0

Likewise all 3 devices are all also capable of sending to ambientweather.net. And again for the same reasons I prefer the job the WS-2902A console does.

Also both the WS-2902A console and the Meteobridge can send to WeatherCloud. And yet again I prefer the job the WS-2902A console does. Bottom line, whatever the WS-2902A console can do is better than the ObserverIP or the Meteobridge via the ObserverIP. So the ObserverIP does no uploading as all it can do the WS-2902A does better. The ObserverIP is only a conduit for the Meteobridge to get data. Then the Meteobridge does uploads to the services that are unique to it like CWOP, AWEKAS, etc.

Lastly I'll mention that ambientweather.net is also capable of sending to PWSweather and WU. But the WS-2902A console is better for WU, and the Meteobridge is better for PWSweather because I can specify a 10 minute interval that you can't set with ambientweather.net. PWSweather graphs look better with 5 or 10 minute uploads. Doing 1 minute uploads to PWSweather junks up the graphs to the point that they are unreadable scribble scrabble.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 10:37:08 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2019, 06:02:52 PM »
So, to understand this, the file downloaded is user.bin, but they say the filename should be factory.bin.

Do we rename user.bin to factory.bin or just leave it as user.bin?

I answered this in another thread. But in case someone finds this thread I thought I would add clarity here too for completeness.

On the WS-2000 if you name the downloaded firmware file as factory.bin then it will flash the firmware and keep the file on the SD card and them prompt you to restart the device. But if you restart without first pulling out the SD card you'll end up flashing the same firmware on top of itself which is pointless. So if you use factory.bin as a file name be sure to remove the SD card when it tells you it is done before power cycling.

However I prefer to use the firmware file with the name user.bin because it will automatically reboot when done flashing and it will automatically erase the user.bin file from the SD card so that it doesn't reflash over itself on reboot. Much easier and cleaner and safer using this method.

Any WS-2000 firmware file can be renamed to factory.bin or user.bin and it will act according to what I've just sated. It doesn't matter what the file name is that you download. The most recent firmware versions seem to follow the user.bin naming.

Tele-Pole