Author Topic: Trees, regardless of size, all break at the same wind speed.  (Read 1553 times)

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Trees, regardless of size, all break at the same wind speed.
« on: February 04, 2016, 09:24:27 PM »
I suspect this might only apply to healthy trees...

When a cyclone named Klaus tore across southwestern France in January 2009, it highlighted a strange phenomenon: Trees, regardless of their diameter, height, or elastic properties, don’t tend to break until wind speeds reach about 42 m/s (94 mph). This seemingly odd convergence has actually been observed by several historical scientists, including Galileo and Leonardo da Vinci, both of whom suggested that a mathematical law could explain the resistance of wooden beams under stress. Now, using data from a new experiment, scientists say they have found that law.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/02/trees-regardless-size-all-break-same-wind-speed-here-s-why

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
Re: Trees, regardless of size, all break at the same wind speed.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 09:32:47 PM »
Interesting. A neighbor had a tall pine tree snap at the ground during hurricane Bertha in the year 1996 I believe. They estimated wind speeds around 90 - 100 during that one. I swore the wind was higher than that though. It was a mean storm.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 09:35:56 PM by DoctorKnow »

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
Re: Trees, regardless of size, all break at the same wind speed.
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 11:02:24 PM »
tree here just blow over. hard to break trees that are 4-6 foot across the butt.  Root balls are  generally about 12-14 ft in diameter and only go 2-3 foot deep.

John