Author Topic: Anemometer bearings..  (Read 8702 times)

Offline bmdoss

Anemometer bearings..
« on: February 04, 2016, 08:46:42 PM »
Has anyone replaced the bearings in a davis anemometer?   Mine is going out..

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
Re: Anemometer bearings..
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 11:53:39 PM »
Have you looked at the anemometer and made sure?  I thought mine were going out, I took it down, took off the cups and cleaned it and as much of the shaft as I could, and it seems to be turning smoothly again. I didn't see much crud or anything, but maybe it was a little speck of dust in the wrong place.

I didn't see any easy, non-destructive way to get to the bearings, but I didn't try to tear it apart because it turned out I didn't have to.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 11:58:46 PM »

Take a look at http://www.lexingtonwx.com/anemometer/

Offline bmdoss

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 08:10:55 AM »
Have you looked at the anemometer and made sure?  I thought mine were going out, I took it down, took off the cups and cleaned it and as much of the shaft as I could, and it seems to be turning smoothly again. I didn't see much crud or anything, but maybe it was a little speck of dust in the wrong place.

I didn't see any easy, non-destructive way to get to the bearings, but I didn't try to tear it apart because it turned out I didn't have to.
Ya I removed the cups and the shaft binds a bit during rotation..

Offline bmdoss

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 08:13:22 AM »

Take a look at http://www.lexingtonwx.com/anemometer/
Fantastic..  I will take it apart this weekend..

Offline bmdoss

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 01:09:37 PM »
I broke down and ordered a new one.  I will try to repair the old one for a spare

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 01:28:52 PM »
One to thing to keep in mind is that Davis redesigned the anemometer a while back. The old-style reed-switch was a major issue due to its' failure rate. The new design uses a Hall-effect device to replace the reed switch so there is no longer an issue with mechanical contacts and their inherent failure rates. The anemometer housing was redesigned to accept the new components so you may find it looks different than your old on, assuming yours is of the reed-switch style.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline bmdoss

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 06:37:22 PM »
One to thing to keep in mind is that Davis redesigned the anemometer a while back. The old-style reed-switch was a major issue due to its' failure rate. The new design uses a Hall-effect device to replace the reed switch so there is no longer an issue with mechanical contacts and their inherent failure rates. The anemometer housing was redesigned to accept the new components so you may find it looks different than your old on, assuming yours is of the reed-switch style.
Mine should be the new one it has gold point and the improved skirt..  Bought in the fall of 2013

Offline bmdoss

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 04:55:44 PM »
Ok I have the new anemometer installed and have the old one apart.  Here is a picture of the 2 anemometer bearings and the shaft.. 

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2016, 06:06:30 PM »
Great!  So the anemometer just unscrews with the little 0.05" (I think) allen wrench and can easily be put back together?  That could be handy to know.  Do the bearings still feel bad, and do you have a source for new ones?

Offline bmdoss

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2016, 06:14:25 PM »
After the anemometer comes off with the Allen set screw a keeper needs to  removed from the shaft..  One is still on in the picture..  I may make a video of how to take it apart

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2016, 06:18:33 PM »
The bearings can be measured. I'm sure they are a standard size. Once the size is known I'd suggest calling or emailing Boca Bearings. I've used their bearings for other miniature projects and they are very high quality and have very low frictional resistance. http://www.bocabearings.com

What would be interesting is if high quality bearings would improve the light wind response of the anemometer.

Offline bmdoss

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2016, 06:42:12 PM »
I will email them and see..  Thanks

ID .125
OD. 375
Flange Dia . 439

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2016, 08:13:57 PM »
I will email them and see..  Thanks

ID .125
OD. 375
Flange Dia . 439
You'll also need to know the thickness.

Offline bmdoss

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2016, 09:19:43 PM »
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 08:45:44 PM by bmdoss »

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2016, 01:55:00 AM »
This looks to be the correct bearing

http://www.bocabearings.com/bearing-inventory/Radial-Bearings/20832/0-125x0-375x0
That link doesn't work for me, I get an item not found message.

Not that it really matters for me, but might help others who may eventually have problems with the new ones, mine are the old type like in the link that Dale gave above.  Mine looks to be the same size bearings, but without the flange.  I didn't take it apart, but I think my bearings are going bad after all.  I first noticed sort of a vibration that could actually be heard and felt in the mast it was mounted on.  I replaced it with my spare, and tried cleaning it, and it seemed to turn smoothly.  But playing with it some more, it seems that if I spin the cups just right, I can feel that vibration, kind of like it's unbalanced, again.  But the vibration seems higher rate than the rpm of the cups, so I'm guessing there must be a flat spot on one of the rollers or something.

After almost 13 years of use, I wonder how many millions of revolutions it's made.  I guess I could figure it out from the average windspeed.  I don't know that it's worth fixing at that age, may just keep it as an emergency spare or for parts if the new one goes bad.  And looking at it, and from the descriptions given in that link, I'm not sure if it comes apart as easily, or at all, as your newer one does.  It tells what bearing to use, but says the assembly is glued and sealed.  Light synthetic oil may help for a temporary fix if my other one goes bad and I get in a pinch.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 04:21:18 AM by SnowHiker »

Offline bmdoss

Offline sfjes

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2016, 09:44:12 PM »
After the anemometer comes off with the Allen set screw a keeper needs to  removed from the shaft..  One is still on in the picture..  I may make a video of how to take it apart

bmdoss (or anyone else who has done it), any chance you could describe in a bit more detail how to remove the keeper / bearings?

I have a VP2 with an anemometer that's been in service since 2006. Surprisingly, the reed switch still shows no issues, but I am getting some vibration from the cups. Cleaning and lubricating the portion of the anemometer shaft exposed when the cups are removed definitely helped, but I expect that after all this time I'm due for a bearing replacement. Any guidance on how to remove and replace the bearings would be appreciated. I suspect if I just go at it it'll end up being a one-way process. :)

Offline dendrite

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2016, 05:00:48 PM »
Is there any follow-up on this? I'm curious to know how the anemometer is working with the bearing replacement.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2016, 07:45:19 PM »
My tall anemometer stopped turning two months ago and I put up my second unit.  However,  when I got back in July, it was turning and is still.  Not sure if it was the  bearings, but it is turning.   I am watching it.