Author Topic: Weatherlink/VP2 download data problems in Windows 7  (Read 15888 times)

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: Weatherlink/VP2 download data problems in Windows 7
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2011, 01:45:16 PM »
What driver did you use on Windows XP?  If you buy a new cable, be sure there is a Windows 7 driver for it.  It should cost 10-15 Euros, max.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline erjeetje

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2011, 02:20:09 PM »
What driver did you use on Windows XP?  If you buy a new cable, be sure there is a Windows 7 driver for it.  It should cost 10-15 Euros, max.

I don't know what driver I used on Windows XP. I'll hope to start up my old computer again. The drive was crashed and is unstable now. But I'll try to start up my old pc to check-up.
I just bought a serial to USB cable in the computershop. I tried to connect, but this new cable won't do anything. It was a ICIDU C-707607 cable and it costs 30 (!) Euro's. The cable didn't work with and without Prolific driver. Maybe I can try to buy a new cable at the internet with a good driver on an installation-cd.
Which cable do you recommend to buy? Maybe I can try something out. If it doesn't work, we know it's not the cable.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2011, 02:48:27 PM »
ICIDU apparently doesn't support that cable on a Windows 7 OS - but you could try their Vista 64-bit driver at http://www.icidu.com/productdownloads/C-707607/drivers/C-707607%20Driver%20Vista%20-%207%2064%20bits.zip  [If that link doesn't work, select it from http://www.icidu.com/index.php/cables/computer/usb-to-serial-cable-1-8m.html]

Many manufacturers do not list Windows 7 support, but Vista drivers usually work - however, you sure paid a lot for that adapter.

If you decide to purchase elsewhere, or from the internet, the Prolific-branded adapters work fine, and you already have the driver installed.  Here's an example from eBay:  http://cgi.ebay.com/Prolific-USB-Serial-9-pin-DB9-RS-232-Adapter-Cable-/220756206734?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336618648e

Offline erjeetje

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2011, 03:26:17 PM »
I just brought the ICIDU cable back to the shop.
I think I will order that Prolific cable you mentioned. Unfortunately I can't buy it in Europe, only at the States, so it will take some days before I'll have it. But it's worth trying.
Do we have to wait till I have the cable here, or can we try some other things in the meanwhile?

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2011, 03:55:45 PM »
Well, we could try to make sure that your computer has the latest firmware (BIOS) for its motherboard.  Do you know how to do that?  If not, what's the brand and model of the computer?

Or, with more difficulty, we could try to find out what the brand and model of the USB adapter that you have, is.  Are you comfortable using "Device Manager"?

Offline erjeetje

« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2011, 04:12:26 PM »
I'm afraid we are going deeper into the system now, but I want to try.
Tomorrow I also try to start up my old pc, maybe I can find the USB driver I was using before.

Below you can find some data of my pc:
Acer Aspire X3400 (P/N: PT.SE2E2.183)
Bios: P01-B1
CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 220 dual-core processor

I'll see if I can into the BIOS to have some more information.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2011, 04:19:39 PM »

The latest BIOS is P01.B3 - it wouldn't hurt to install it.  I doubt that it will fix your problem, but there's a chance.

http://support.acer.com/us/en/product/default.aspx?modelId=2219

Offline erjeetje

« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2011, 04:37:04 PM »

The latest BIOS is P01.B3 - it wouldn't hurt to install it.  I doubt that it will fix your problem, but there's a chance.

http://support.acer.com/us/en/product/default.aspx?modelId=2219

I just downloaded the file, but I'm a little scared to do this. What if it's going wrong?
And does it matted that I have installed a Dutch version of Windows 7, or doesn't that make a difference for updating the bios?

It's 10.30 pm right now, so for me it's time to go to my bed (my kids will be awake about 6.30 am  :? ). Tomorrow I'll maybe try to update the bios. I'll also order that USB cable of Prolific you mentioned. Maybe that will work it out.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2011, 04:50:15 PM »
Version or language of OS shouldn't matter.

I've never personally updated an Acer BIOS, so I can't comment on how to do it, or "what if".

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2011, 06:22:36 PM »
I would not bother updating the BIOS for a simple put level update.  You could brick the  PC.   Daughter has an Acer running a lower version and it handles all manner of devices.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/serial-rs232-to-usb-adapter-707  is a Prolific based Serial-USB adapter.  Gives you an idea of what they should cost.  :)

I would think a decent computer shop in the Netherlands should handle one of the brand names?
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline erjeetje

« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2011, 02:37:58 AM »
I would not bother updating the BIOS for a simple put level update.  You could brick the  PC.   Daughter has an Acer running a lower version and it handles all manner of devices.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/serial-rs232-to-usb-adapter-707  is a Prolific based Serial-USB adapter.  Gives you an idea of what they should cost.  :)

I would think a decent computer shop in the Netherlands should handle one of the brand names?

I ordered the adapter you mentioned. It was about 5 euro's and shipping was free! It will take about 5 days to arrive here.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2011, 10:40:28 AM »
I hope it works for you.  Keep us posted.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2011, 10:56:35 AM »
Yes, I absolutely agree that the adapter is the logical candidate, and that (unfortunately) you should wait for its arrival. 

[You just asked if there is anything else we could try, and I mentioned a couple of other things that might be tried - but I think waiting would be best]

Offline erjeetje

« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2011, 09:22:08 AM »
I just installed Weather Display to see what happens with the connection. Well, Weather Display is receiving data realtime from the VP2. I set Weather Display to use COM3 and it works.
With this in mind, could it be that the problem is in Weatherlink and not in the cable or the driver?

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2011, 10:11:15 AM »
I just installed Weather Display to see what happens with the connection. Well, Weather Display is receiving data realtime from the VP2. I set Weather Display to use COM3 and it works.
With this in mind, could it be that the problem is in Weatherlink and not in the cable or the driver?

There are many things that usually are not the problem, and WeatherLink is one of those.  So, I didn't suggest trying that earlier.  But it won't hurt to try.

I suggest you first uninstall WeatherLink, then read the directions at http://www.davisnet.com/support/weather/software_sftwr.asp and download the latest version, unplug your USB cable, reboot the computer, and install the latest version.  Follow the instructions as the installation proceeds.

Of course, let us know if that fixes the problem.

Offline erjeetje

« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2011, 11:26:27 AM »
I updated to Weatherlink 5.9.3 the way you mentioned, but unfortunately it don't make a difference.
For now I'll wait for the new serial-USB cable to arrive and then we will try again.

Offline erjeetje

« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2011, 01:47:35 PM »
I was wondering what should happen when I use the "Bulletin" and "strip charts", because that's a "live"-connection with the console.
Well, you can see at this screenshot what I mean. The bulletin and strip charts are on my screen for about 30 minutes till I made the screenshot. Weatherlink is getting live data from the console. Also the upload to the internet is doing well. So the connection with the console can be made.

The log shows the following messages:
 03-05-11 19:37 (Lemmer) Upload of Data Upload Profile(s) 1  completed OK.
 03-05-11 19:37 (Lemmer) No new data to download.
 03-05-11 19:33 (Lemmer) Upload of Data Upload Profile(s) 2  completed OK.
 03-05-11 19:22 (Lemmer) Upload of Data Upload Profile(s) 1  completed OK.
 03-05-11 19:22 (Lemmer) No new data to download.
 03-05-11 19:18 (Lemmer) Upload of Data Upload Profile(s) 2  completed OK.
 03-05-11 19:07 (Lemmer) Upload of Data Upload Profile(s) 1  completed OK.
 03-05-11 19:07 (Lemmer) No new data to download.
 03-05-11 19:06 (Lemmer) No new data to download.

That it says "No new data to download" is very logical, because tha data has already been downloaded by the live-connection of the bulletin and live charts.
Now I don't get it at all. Why is it possible to "download" the live data by the bulletin for real-time, but not when I click the "download the weather station" button. It seems very strange to me. Do you understand what I mean?

And after I closed the bulletin and strip charts (at 20:05) I waited several minutes to see what would happen with the profiles. Then there was no response anymore from the console. See the log below:
 03-05-11 20:09 (Lemmer) Unable to upload Data Upload Profile(s) 1  because of errors. See error messages below.
 03-05-11 20:09 (Lemmer) Error reading data from the Station.
 03-05-11 20:09 (Lemmer) Computer gave up waiting for response from station.  Check port setting and connections.
 03-05-11 20:07 (Lemmer) Computer gave up waiting for response from station.  Check port setting and connections.
 03-05-11 20:03 (Lemmer) Upload of Data Upload Profile(s) 2  completed OK.
 03-05-11 19:52 (Lemmer) Upload of Data Upload Profile(s) 1  completed OK.
 03-05-11 19:52 (Lemmer) No new data to download.
 03-05-11 19:48 (Lemmer) Upload of Data Upload Profile(s) 2  completed OK.
 03-05-11 19:37 (Lemmer) Upload of Data Upload Profile(s) 1  completed OK.
 03-05-11 19:37 (Lemmer) No new data to download.
 03-05-11 19:33 (Lemmer) Upload of Data Upload Profile(s) 2  completed OK.
 03-05-11 19:22 (Lemmer) Upload of Data Upload Profile(s) 1  completed OK.
 03-05-11 19:22 (Lemmer) No new data to download.
 03-05-11 19:18 (Lemmer) Upload of Data Upload Profile(s) 2  completed OK.
 03-05-11 19:07 (Lemmer) Upload of Data Upload Profile(s) 1  completed OK.
 03-05-11 19:07 (Lemmer) No new data to download.
 03-05-11 19:06 (Lemmer) No new data to download.

I had to restart my computer again to get a connection with the console. After closing the bulletin and strip charts I only could restart them by restarting the computer again.
It's weird weather software.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 02:17:48 PM by erjeetje »

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2011, 02:41:20 PM »
Interesting test, and yes, I understand what you mean.

As I understand the way WeatherLink works (if I'm right), with the Bulletin (or other continuous displays) running, the software keeps the connection to the console open ("looping").  However, if a continuous display is not running, then the software probably closes the connection after the regular download operation.

If the software closes the connection, and then can't open the same connection again, that would be exactly the problem that you initially reported.  Perhaps WeatherDisplay software also does not close the connection, so that's why it works?

I'm still guessing that you have a USB adapter that is not compatible with the driver that you have loaded.  That could cause exactly this set of symptoms.

Thanks for adding one more test to the set of diagnostics that I try to remember.

Offline erjeetje

« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2011, 03:26:54 PM »
I also tried Virtual Weather Station. Both Weather Display (WD) and Virtual Weather Station (VWS) are "live"-connected to the console. So that is why they are doing well. Indeed when I have the bulletin opened in Weatherlink it leaves the connection open between the console and the computer. I'll think we now have to wait till the new adapter arrives. But I thought it was worth the try about the bulletin/strip chart. Now we know something more about the connection. I'll keep you informed...

Offline erjeetje

« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2011, 02:24:56 PM »
Today I received the cable I ordered. It seems to be the right solution for my problem. I replaced the old cable for the new one and Weatherlink is recognizing the weather station without any loss of connection. When I let Weatherlink run and try to download the weather data several times, I got no mistakes. So the problem seems to be solved.

Since several days I'm using Cumulus also and I think I keep using Cumulus, because I like it more than Weatherlink. But for continuing my historical data I will use Weatherlink also.

Thank you guys for solving the problem!

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2011, 02:33:40 PM »
Awesome!  Glad we could help!

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2011, 02:50:31 PM »
Im still guessing that you have a USB adapter that is not compatible with the driver that you have loaded.  That could cause exactly this set of symptoms.

I'm happy that getting a USB adapter that matched the driver, fixed the problem.