Author Topic: VP2 console backlight question ** Resolved **  (Read 11155 times)

Offline DA270

Re: VP2 console backlight question
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2017, 02:01:17 PM »
DA270. I have the same model and Firmware as you and also have the exact issue with the backlight. I've been following this thread and am curious what the fix will be.

We could be on to something here. My Mfg. code is AZ170125064. According to archae86 this would mean we both have AZ hardware revisions manufactured mid to late January of this year? Hmmm ..... stayed tuned.

Offline DA270

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2017, 02:05:16 PM »
Since archae86 and DA270 have recent consoles with the same firmware rev level, could you both post the "manufacturing code" on each? I am wondering if beyond the defect possibility, that some hardware revision was made.

Greg H.

p.s. you too, Zeta30...

Mfg. code AZ170125064.

Offline DA270

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2017, 02:12:10 PM »
A60202A28C

Maybe the oldest currently in use?

I have A60815D01D, but it's not currently in use.

Offline TheSwami

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2017, 01:04:18 AM »
did anyone ever hear back from Davis on this?  I just upgraded to a 6153 and am having the same problems.
AZ170216013
FW 3.63

backlight shuts off in 15 seconds if no keys are pressed, maybe 60 seconds if a key is pressed.

I want it to stay on unless i hit Lamps again to turn it off when it's AC powered.

among the many troubleshootings I've done - tried holding down Lamps after hit 2nd to turn on backlight, no dice.
batteries are out of the VP2 now, so it's definitely on AC power.  no dice.
calibrated indoor temp and indoor humidity down and up respectively in case it needed to believe i wanted to leave backlight on, no dice.

so i emailed Davis support tonight to see what's going on, if this is a 'feature' that is removed in current models or FW, and if so how can i override it or get it back in a future FW update! 

Offline DA270

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2017, 03:20:30 PM »
did anyone ever hear back from Davis on this?  I just upgraded to a 6153 and am having the same problems.
AZ170216013
FW 3.63

backlight shuts off in 15 seconds if no keys are pressed, maybe 60 seconds if a key is pressed.

I want it to stay on unless i hit Lamps again to turn it off when it's AC powered.

among the many troubleshootings I've done - tried holding down Lamps after hit 2nd to turn on backlight, no dice.
batteries are out of the VP2 now, so it's definitely on AC power.  no dice.
calibrated indoor temp and indoor humidity down and up respectively in case it needed to believe i wanted to leave backlight on, no dice.

so i emailed Davis support tonight to see what's going on, if this is a 'feature' that is removed in current models or FW, and if so how can i override it or get it back in a future FW update!

They have shipped me a replacement console and it arrived this morning. They said the console they were sending was tested first to verify that it did not have the reported issue. I'll report back when I check out the replacement console. I'm curious what FW and Mfg. code it will have and of course that the problem is solved. Obviously this feature is still expected to work or they would have told me there was a revision changing the default behavior of the backlight function and not exchanged the unit.

Offline TheSwami

« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2017, 05:51:16 PM »
cool.  looking forward to hearing if the factory-tested one works.  i don't use my console all that much, but when I walk into the room it's in, it would be nice to not always have to manually turn on the backlight to read it.  one of the few things i liked about my old setup.  the console display was always on and auto dimmed at night. 
perhaps the long rumoured never seen VP3 will address it.  lol

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2017, 06:12:02 PM »
perhaps the long rumoured never seen VP3 will address it.  lol

"I'll have what he's ↑ drinking."
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline DA270

« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2017, 08:22:22 PM »
Well I've kept my cool thru Davis's horrible "customer service" through this whole ordeal until now. After days of self service trouble shooting with no results, I was told they were sending a replacement console. It was shipped ground, with no return prepaid shipping and took a week to arrive. The first sight upon unpacking the console is their boiler plate threatening sheet that I will be billed if I don't return the defective unit within 30 days! Next up I unpack a clearly refurbished console filled with finger smudges, an LCD screen that literally appears to have been sneezed on, and a power adapter all balled up and tangled like it was dug from a bin at a garage sale! Keep in mind I purchased a NEW system from an authorized dealer (Scaled Instruments) about a month ago. Way to go Davis Instruments! Great way to handle a twenty year repeat customer. Sorry guys, I won't be testing this console. If Davis wants it back, they can send me a prepaid shipping label or it's going in the dumpster.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2017, 08:52:03 PM »
Well I've kept my cool thru Davis's horrible "customer service" through this whole ordeal until now. After days of self service trouble shooting with no results, I was told they were sending a replacement console. It was shipped ground, with no return prepaid shipping and took a week to arrive. The first sight upon unpacking the console is their boiler plate threatening sheet that I will be billed if I don't return the defective unit within 30 days! Next up I unpack a clearly refurbished console filled with finger smudges, an LCD screen that literally appears to have been sneezed on, and a power adapter all balled up and tangled like it was dug from a bin at a garage sale! Keep in mind I purchased a NEW system from an authorized dealer (Scaled Instruments) about a month ago. Way to go Davis Instruments! Great way to handle a twenty year repeat customer. Sorry guys, I won't be testing this console. If Davis wants it back, they can send me a prepaid shipping label or it's going in the dumpster.
Wow. I'd walk up the Davis food chain with this. Should you choose to call, here's a supervisor at Davis, Brett Lane, 510 940 1850.

Offline btw-nc

« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2017, 08:58:42 PM »
Definitely not thrilled to hear this since I'm waiting for my first Davis station to arrive on Saturday.  One reason I spent so much money was because of reputation. I hope that reputation isn't tanking.

Well I've kept my cool thru Davis's horrible "customer service" through this whole ordeal until now. ....Great way to handle a twenty year repeat customer. Sorry guys, I won't be testing this console. If Davis wants it back, they can send me a prepaid shipping label or it's going in the dumpster.
Davis 6153 24HR FARS, in service 18MAR2017

Offline TheSwami

« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2017, 11:01:54 PM »

ugh.  this is no good at all.  so at this point my choices are a console with no available always-on backlight, a refurb blue light special which may or may not work, or wait on a unicorn sighting. 
I don't get why this is so hard.  It almost has to be a firmware issue.  Unless they know of a change they made, the VP2 hasn't changed itself in eons.  How about flashing me an older firmware or something, whatever one of the most recent ones prior to 3.63 was maybe?  THat would seem to be the next logical approach.  I know there's probably a limit how far back I can go in FW depending on the newer sensor in the ISS, but surely it can go back far enough to eliminate this problem, especially since no one else I've seen seems to have it except the most recent production models/FW?

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2017, 11:51:51 PM »
Sorry guys, I won't be testing this console.

ugh.  this is no good at all.  so at this point my choices are a console with no available always-on backlight, a refurb blue light special which may or may not work, or wait on a unicorn sighting. 
I don't get why this is so hard.  It almost has to be a firmware issue.  Unless they know of a change they made, the VP2 hasn't changed itself in eons.  How about flashing me an older firmware or something, whatever one of the most recent ones prior to 3.63 was maybe?  THat would seem to be the next logical approach.  I know there's probably a limit how far back I can go in FW depending on the newer sensor in the ISS, but surely it can go back far enough to eliminate this problem, especially since no one else I've seen seems to have it except the most recent production models/FW?

You won't know the truth unless DA270 tests the console he got, and looks to see what the firmware version says.

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2017, 12:36:55 AM »
You won't know the truth unless DA270 tests the console he got, and looks to see what the firmware version says.
I think that, plus checking the Mfg Date Code to see if they sent you an older unit to "solve" the problem, is worth a try.  (Maybe they sent you an older unit knowing there's a problem with the newer units, but don't want to admit it for some reason?)

I understand you may have to put on your latex gloves and spray it with Lysol before handling it.  :sad:

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2017, 12:42:09 AM »

Without going back and re-reading all of the posts in this thread, I have a question. You mentioned that you purchased your VP2 from Scaled Instruments. Have you contacted them regarding your console problems? I would think they, as the seller, would be much more likely to get your VP2 working as it should. Scaled Instruments has an exemplary reputation and I am sure would work with you to resolve the issues you are having with your VP2.

Just my 2-cents on the subject...
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline DA270

« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2017, 06:38:18 AM »
Wow. I'd walk up the Davis food chain with this. Should you choose to call, here's a supervisor at Davis, Brett Lane, 510 940 1850.

I'll definitely give that a shot next. I appreciate the contact information. Thank you!

Offline DA270

« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2017, 06:43:08 AM »
Definitely not thrilled to hear this since I'm waiting for my first Davis station to arrive on Saturday.  One reason I spent so much money was because of reputation. I hope that reputation isn't tanking.

I wouldn't be too concerned just yet. I've used their products and service  for many years and always been very satisfied. This experience has been the first i've had with them with a very unsatisfactory and unreasonable response.

Offline DA270

« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2017, 06:54:17 AM »
I don't get why this is so hard. 

I don't either! I fully expected a quick apology for the inconvenience, then they overnight a NEW replacement console to me with a prepaid return label to send the defective console back and I'd be on this forum singing Davis Instruments praises! Simple, 21st century business practices for success.

Offline DA270

« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2017, 07:08:02 AM »

I think that, plus checking the Mfg Date Code to see if they sent you an older unit to "solve" the problem, is worth a try.  (Maybe they sent you an older unit knowing there's a problem with the newer units, but don't want to admit it for some reason?)

I understand you may have to put on your latex gloves and spray it with Lysol before handling it.  :sad:

No disrespect at all guys, everyone here is been extremely helpful! I'm just frustrated and want this resolved ASAP. At this point I'm really not all that interested in being their free technician. Like I said before, this is a brand new purchase right out of the box that has a problem.  I fully expected a quick apology for the inconvenience, then they overnight a NEW replacement console to me with a prepaid return label to send the defective console back and I'd be on this forum singing Davis Instruments praises! Simple, 21st century business practices for success. I think it's a reasonable expectation and I've been very patient and cooperative with Davis Instruments.

Offline DA270

« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2017, 07:12:55 AM »

Without going back and re-reading all of the posts in this thread, I have a question. You mentioned that you purchased your VP2 from Scaled Instruments. Have you contacted them regarding your console problems? I would think they, as the seller, would be much more likely to get your VP2 working as it should. Scaled Instruments has an exemplary reputation and I am sure would work with you to resolve the issues you are having with your VP2.

Just my 2-cents on the subject...

Great idea. Ryan (Scaled Instruments) was great through the entire purchase process and I left him out of this because as a small business owner myself I know that this issue is not his fault, but rather something the manufacturer needs to step up to the plate and handle. Maybe his involvement with help make that happen. Thanks for the suggestion.

Offline archae86

• Senior Contributor
    • LynxStoll weather
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2017, 08:21:09 AM »
It almost has to be a firmware issue.  Unless they know of a change they made, the VP2 hasn't changed itself in eons.
Folks reporting here have seen the same reported firmware behave the old and the the way.  All three folks with AZ hardware version have reported seeing the new behavior, while the sole report of AY hardware (made a couple of weeks earlier by manufacturing date code) behaves the old way.

Sounds like a hardware update issue to me, not firmware. 

Offline Billyram

• The Rapids
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2017, 09:06:56 AM »
I put my new station from scaled instruments in service 2/17/2017. It's a AY with 3.63 firmware. No problems.
Billy

Offline DA270

« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2017, 09:37:45 AM »

Folks reporting here have seen the same reported firmware behave the old and the the way.  All three folks with AZ hardware version have reported seeing the new behavior, while the sole report of AY hardware (made a couple of weeks earlier by manufacturing date code) behaves the old way.

Sounds like a hardware update issue to me, not firmware.

I agree! I would bet it's a PC board revision or QC issue or a part vendor revision or QC issue and it's hardware related. They seemed astonished that the 3.64 firmware update did not solve the issue (to the point that I was getting the vibe that they were doubting my observation or ability to follow their instructions). I sent them photos and a video of the problem. FYI, I just donned a hazmat suit and took a look at the console they retrieved from the returned/rework bin and sent me to replace my BRAND NEW unit. You guessed it! AY161212026. I guess their strategy is to replace the defective AZ units with repacked/refurbished AY units and hope that most people don't notice or care about the hardware defect of the AZ units and will never request a solution. Very disappointed in Davis Instruments with this shoddy approach in addressing this problem.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2017, 09:51:49 AM »

......, everyone here is been extremely helpful!

I'm just frustrated and want this resolved ASAP.

At this point I'm really not all that interested in being their free technician.

I understand your frustration with Davis. 

.....No disrespect at all guys.....

But you are frustrating many of the guys here, by not being our technician.

Offline DA270

« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2017, 10:34:24 AM »

But you are frustrating many of the guys here, by not being our technician.

Fair enough. If the information will benefit us, here goes:

My original NEW console is AZ170125064 and it shipped with FW 3.63. The backlight times out at 15 seconds when powered with an AC adapter.
The same console was updated to FW 3.64 at Davis Instruments request and it still exhibits the same faulty issue.

Davis sent a replacement console, AY161212026 with FW 3.63 and the backlight works as designed when powered with an AC adapter (backlight remains on until toggled off with the keypad).

Others here have reported AZ units exhibiting the same defective behavior I have reported. This would strongly suggest that the AZ hardware has an issue that Davis Instruments is trying to resolve with a FW work around that has yet to be successful or they are trying to determine what hardware must be reworked/repaired to resolve the issue.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2017, 11:24:21 AM »
Thank you!

And I totally understand your unwillingness to accept a "used, work-around non-solution."

Suggestion:  you might find that Ryan would be of assistance in communicating your thoughts to Davis.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 11:27:39 AM by dalecoy »

anything