Author Topic: Vantage Vue and Pro2 Console Quick Question  (Read 2219 times)

Offline DC

Vantage Vue and Pro2 Console Quick Question
« on: February 20, 2017, 07:43:52 PM »
I have searched this site, rtfm for vue/pro2/vue console/pro2 console, looked at specs, the davis web site and still have a basic question question, actually 2... maybe just tired or too much information. 

1-   It is my understanding the Davis architecture is such that the console acts as the hub not the ISS, that the sensors including the ISS, wireless anemometer kit, etc communicate separately to the console (See attachment)  Is this correct?

2-  If you buy Vantage Vue ISS and Pro2 Console...Can you add additional wireless sensors like temp, temp/humid, etc n/i solar and uv for a total of 8 including the Vue ISS to the Pro2 Console?

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
Re: Vantage Vue and Pro2 Console Quick Question
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 08:47:53 PM »
Not sure I understand your questions completely or not but I will try to answer. If you don't have separate transmitters for wind, temperature, etc., the ISS acts as the hub and sends all data to the console. However, if you do have separate transmitters for temp or wind or whatever, they send data to the console directly not to the ISS. And yes, if Davis sells separate transmitters, you can add them later and as you noted, no more than 8 transmitters including the ISS to a single console. For the sake of being curious, what are you trying to accomplish?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 09:22:29 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 10:23:28 PM »
Thanks WheatonRon. 

I would like to know if the below configuration will work...
1 Vue ISS
1 Pro2 Console
1 Wireless temperature sensor
2 Wireless temperature/humidity sensors sometime in the future

So a total of 4 sensors reporting to the Pro2 Console.  I have read the Pro2 console manual and it is my understanding this is supported by the Pro2 console up to 8 total sensors.    From the console I will add WeatherIP or USB and bridge to the internet.

The background is I prefer the Pro2 console over the Vue console.  I have friend that may give me an extra Vue ISS.  For my primary needs (temp, wind, pressure) and location the Vue ISS has some advantages over the Pro2 ISS. 

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 10:38:43 PM »
Thanks WheatonRon. 

1 Vue ISS
1 Pro2 Console

So a total of 4 sensors reporting to the Pro2 Console.  I have read the Pro2 console manual and it is my understanding this is supported by the Pro2 console up to 8 total sensors.    From the console I will add WeatherIP or USB and bridge to the internet.

The background is I prefer the Pro2 console over the Vue console.  I have friend that may give me an extra Vue ISS.  For my primary needs (temp, wind, pressure) and location the Vue ISS has some advantages over the Pro2 ISS.
ui

The barometric pressure reading comes from the console, not the ISS. The rest of your questions are beyond my pay grade--I have extensive experience with the VP2 but not the Vue. Unless someone else comes to your rescue contact Davis support. They are very helpful and your product doesn't need to be registered or under warranty to get such support. Call them at (510) 732-7814, vs contacting via email. Davis is more responsive on the phone!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 11:28:31 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Online Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 01:25:45 AM »
Yes that will work. Note that the reference to 8 is what the VP2 console will display but will only log 3 temp stations or 2 temp/humidity stations BUT in conjunction can only log 2 temp & 1 Temp/humidity or 1 temp and 2 temp/humidity stations 

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 08:49:42 AM »
Thanks WheatonRon. 

1 Vue ISS
1 Pro2 Console

ui

The barometric pressure reading comes from the console, not the ISS. The rest of your questions are beyond my pay grade--I have extensive experience with the VP2 but not the Vue. Unless someone else comes to your rescue contact Davis support. They are very helpful and your product doesn't need to be registered or under warranty to get such support. Call them at (510) 732-7814, vs contacting via email. Davis is more responsive on the phone!

Sent an email the other day, will call tomorrow if I don't hear from them, thanks.

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 08:55:21 AM »
Yes that will work. Note that the reference to 8 is what the VP2 console will display but will only log 3 temp stations or 2 temp/humidity stations BUT in conjunction can only log 2 temp & 1 Temp/humidity or 1 temp and 2 temp/humidity stations

Thank you.  That is what I thought, so the Vue ISS paired with the Pro2 console is expandable contrary to everything you read/see!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 10:08:46 AM by DC »

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 10:52:02 AM »

So a total of 4 sensors reporting to the Pro2 Console.  ...    From the console I will add WeatherIP or USB and bridge to the internet.

What data will you post where on the internet using what software?

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 11:32:38 AM »
I wouldn't refer to the  ISS as a hub. The ISS and other sensors just transmit and the consoles 'listen' for the data stream. Nothing responds back to the other....it is all just a one way street. It would be better to refer to the ISS as the master and the consoles as slaves.

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 02:46:29 PM »

So a total of 4 sensors reporting to the Pro2 Console.  ...    From the console I will add WeatherIP or USB and bridge to the internet.

To be determined, I know I would like to see fast up times for wind, havent't looked into it too much, but right now thinking WU and Tee Boy Snoop.  I use Apple MacBook computers.  Open to suggestions, comments, recommendations.

Currently trying to figure out the best locations on site... a lot of tall trees, not willing to put it in the middle of yard... lots of trade offs, but will come up with a plan

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2017, 02:56:44 PM »
I wouldn't refer to the  ISS as a hub. The ISS and other sensors just transmit and the consoles 'listen' for the data stream. Nothing responds back to the other....it is all just a one way street. It would be better to refer to the ISS as the master and the consoles as slaves.

Thank you, that is my understanding, hub is not technically accurate, maybe one way collector or hub.  I find some the of the descriptions on some of this stuff to be vague and misleading.  Yes, the ISS is the master for direct attached sensors only, if you have wireless anemometer and/or additional wireless temp/humid sensors, etc the ISS is not in the picture so to speak.  If you like the term 'master', then I would recommend adding for 'direct connections only' part to avoid any misinterpretation of the Davis architecture.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 03:06:25 PM by DC »

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2017, 03:08:51 PM »

To be determined, I know I would like to see fast up times for wind, havent't looked into it too much, but right now thinking WU and Tee Boy Snoop.  I use Apple MacBook computers.  Open to suggestions, comments, recommendations.

You didn't answer the "what" or "where", but....

Perhaps you should consider asking whether that's practical with 4 sensors (if your "what" is 4 sensors).

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2017, 03:40:17 PM »
Thank you, that is my understanding, hub is not technically accurate, maybe one way collector or hub.

I think you're confusing things unnecessarily. You only need to think about wireless transmitters and receivers.

The ISS and other supplementary transmitters such as the anemometer transmitter or temp/hum transmitter only transmit data from the sensors that are wired to them. In fact these transmitters broadcast the data so that any number of receivers within wireless range can listen in to the data.

The consoles (standard and Envoy) are receivers, which can receive data from the standard transmitters on channels 1 through 8, but can only process data from the combination of transmitters defined by the VP2 rules, eg only one anemometer transmitter is allowed, only one ISS etc. There are further limitations on which combination of transmitters can be logged. The Envoy8X is a special receiver which can receive and process data from any combination of transmitters, (NB I haven't mentioned wireless repeaters, but these essentially function as singal range boosters.)
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline DC

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2017, 09:25:51 PM »

Perhaps you should consider asking whether that's practical with 4 sensors (if your "what" is 4 sensors).

Practical ?  Not sure what that means.  I think I get it.  What I am trying to understand are with a configuration of VUE ISS and Pro2 Console can you add 1 additional wireless temperature sensor (measuring  water temperature about 150' away from the Pro2 Console) and down the road what else can be added for say a crawl space or a bonus room, garden, etc
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 09:38:53 PM by DC »

Offline DC

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2017, 09:36:50 PM »
Thank you, that is my understanding, hub is not technically accurate, maybe one way collector or hub.

I think you're confusing things unnecessarily. You only need to think about wireless transmitters and receivers.

The ISS and other supplementary transmitters such as the anemometer transmitter or temp/hum transmitter only transmit data from the sensors that are wired to them. In fact these transmitters broadcast the data so that any number of receivers within wireless range can listen in to the data.

The consoles (standard and Envoy) are receivers, which can receive data from the standard transmitters on channels 1 through 8, but can only process data from the combination of transmitters defined by the VP2 rules, eg only one anemometer transmitter is allowed, only one ISS etc. There are further limitations on which combination of transmitters can be logged. The Envoy8X is a special receiver which can receive and process data from any combination of transmitters, (NB I haven't mentioned wireless repeaters, but these essentially function as singal range boosters.)

Not confused, I get it.  However, what is confusing is all of the information that says the VUE can not be expanded.  Of course that is true if you have the standard configuration of the VUE ISS and VUE console.  When I found out the VUE ISS supports the Pro2 console and read the Pro2 manual, all these 'can not expand a VUE system' posts, reviews, etc did not make sense to me.  So if you choose to add Pro2 console with the VUE ISS you can expand and add additional sensors exactly the same as the Pro2 save the wireless anemometer transmitter kit.   Also, what is confusing is stating in your post that the envoy is a console when in fact it is not, it eliminates the need for a console if you so choose.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 10:06:44 PM by DC »

Online Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2017, 09:57:27 PM »
There is no problem having a VUE ISS a VP2 console and a Anemometer transmitter kit

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2017, 03:13:30 AM »
When I found out the VUE ISS supports the Pro2 console and read the Pro2 manual, all these 'can not expand a VUE system' posts, reviews, etc did not make sense to me.

But that's sort of looking at it back to front. The VP2 console supports reception from the Vue ISS (because of course it uses the same wireless protocol) and not vice versa.

But, as you and others say, the Vue console cannot receive from any other sensors or transmitters, with the two exceptions of the anemometer transmitter and solar/UV sensors attached to a VP2 ISS. It is a deliberately limited version of the VP2 console.

Also, what is confusing is stating in your post that the envoy is a console when in fact it is not, it eliminates the need for a console if you so choose.

This is admittedly a matter of definition. Unfortunately Davis don't use a simple word that encompasses both standard console and the Envoy, though both are Vantage protocol receivers. But given that the standard console and Envoy are essentially identical (ie they use exactly the same receiver circuit board inside) except that the Envoy has no display, I prefer to think of them both as consoles, for want of a better word and then qualify which version I'm talking about.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2017, 10:27:43 AM »
Re: "posting data to the internet"

Practical ?  Not sure what that means.  I think I get it.  What I am trying to understand are with a configuration of VUE ISS and Pro2 Console can you add 1 additional wireless temperature sensor (measuring  water temperature about 150' away from the Pro2 Console) and down the road what else can be added for say a crawl space or a bonus room, garden, etc

Can the software that you will use (and the data logger you install) - read that data from the console/logger -- and  post what data you want to the place(s) on the internet that you want it to go?

Offline DC

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2017, 03:10:54 PM »
There is no problem having a VUE ISS a VP2 console and a Anemometer transmitter kit

That is not my understanding given the VUE ISS is wireless, anemometer not detachable, the Pro2 display console does not allow toggling between wind sensors, unlike temperature.  I had my question answered, thank you all and Davis CS but if you want explain how it would work, etc
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 03:26:18 PM by DC »

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2017, 03:22:11 PM »
That is not my understanding given the VUE ISS is wireless, anemometer not detachable, the Pro2 display console does not allow toggling between wind sensors, unlike temperature.

It's simple: You set the Vue ISS to use one channel of the VP2 console and the anemometer transmitter is set to a different channel. The VP2 console then automatically takes its wind data from the anemometer transmitter rather than the ISS.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Online Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2017, 03:24:29 PM »

That is not my understanding given the VUE ISS is wireless, anemometer not detachable, the Pro2 display console does not allow toggling between wind sensors, unlike temperature.  I moved on but if you want explain how it would work, etc

The VUE ISS is no different to the standard VP2 ISS, Wind speed/dir, temp & humidity, both are wireless. There can only be one (1) anemometer on line at the one time and if you have the console set to listen to an anemometer on a different ID (WIND) to the ISS then that is what the console will use for wind speed & direction.

There is nothing special about the Anemometer Transmitter Kit, it is really nothing more than an ISS with only an anemometer connected and the console set to receive WIND from a different ID than the primary ISS, an anemometer can be connected to both, one does not need to be unplugged for this to work.

There is also nothing preventing you from having 2 VUE ISS (on different ID's of course) and set one to be the anemometer source separate to the other.

Offline DC

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2017, 03:41:52 PM »

That is not my understanding given the VUE ISS is wireless, anemometer not detachable, the Pro2 display console does not allow toggling between wind sensors, unlike temperature.  I moved on but if you want explain how it would work, etc

The VUE ISS is no different to the standard VP2 ISS, Wind speed/dir, temp & humidity, both are wireless. There can only be one (1) anemometer on line at the one time and if you have the console set to listen to an anemometer on a different ID (WIND) to the ISS then that is what the console will use for wind speed & direction.

There is nothing special about the Anemometer Transmitter Kit, it is really nothing more than an ISS with only an anemometer connected and the console set to receive WIND from a different ID than the primary ISS, an anemometer can be connected to both, one does not need to be unplugged for this to work.

There is also nothing preventing you from having 2 VUE ISS (on different ID's of course) and set one to be the anemometer source separate to the other.

Interesting, so are you saying the Pro2 console will take the wind data from the Anemometer Transmission Kit and display it on screen, upload to apps and ignores the wind data from the VUE attached anemometer?  What happens to the VUE attached anemometer data? 

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2017, 04:04:58 PM »
....are you saying the Pro2 console will .... upload to apps ....

The console does not "upload to apps".

Online Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2017, 04:16:20 PM »

Interesting, so are you saying the Pro2 console will take the wind data from the Anemometer Transmission Kit and display it on screen, upload to apps and ignores the wind data from the VUE attached anemometer?  What happens to the VUE attached anemometer data?

That's right, the anemometer set as WIND will be what is displayed on the screen and what will be uploaded to any anything you are uploading to.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2017, 04:28:52 PM »
...and ignores the wind data from the VUE attached anemometer?  What happens to the VUE attached anemometer data?

You've answered your own question - in this configuration the Vue anemometer data is indeed effectively ignored.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK