Author Topic: Vantage Vue Internet Questions  (Read 1927 times)

Offline DC

Vantage Vue Internet Questions
« on: February 16, 2017, 02:32:18 PM »
Hi,

I am looking at the Vantage Vue product.  I have been impressed with the wind speed and update times of 2.5 seconds.  Surprised by the internet connection options and the display given it is 2017.   Couple of questions, thanks.

1- Does the ISS capture wind speed in 2.5 second intervals?  Or is it something faster and averages and grabs the peak before sending every 2.5 seconds?
2- In order to up load my data to WU from the console with out a computer is all I need to order is the 6555 Davis Weatherlink IP?  What are the upload times to WU?  Are upload time the same for all third party apps?
3- Are there any other console option other than Davis 6312 and 6351?  Maybe somethig like the AcuRite HD display

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: Vantage Vue Internet Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 02:43:52 PM »
1 - yes.  no.
2- Yes. 15 min. No.
3 - No and I wish...  Better to use a tablet displaying the WL.com data
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 04:31:09 PM »
Thank you Bushman.  I think I have been talked into Pro2.  Do you know if the Pro2 has the same wind speed measurement of 2.5 seconds?  Thanks.

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 04:42:33 PM »
Good idea with iPad, that could work, but at 15 minute increments it kind of defeats the point of near real-time weather display in the great room, kitchen, etc.  I believe the low end provider AcuRite offers a better display/UI and updates to WU every 38 seconds.  I am I missing something with Davis, INMHO one of the strongest features is the 2.5 second update, I am surprised they don't show that off more with great color display/ui and faster updates to WU.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 04:43:10 PM »
http://www.davisnet.com/product_documents/weather/spec_sheets/6152_62_53_63_SS.pdf  and the Davis site  has all the manuals/specs for all the devices.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 04:44:04 PM »
Good idea with iPad, that could work, but at 15 minute increments it kind of defeats the point of near real-time weather display in the great room, kitchen, etc.  I believe the low end provider AcuRite offers a better display/UI and updates to WU every 38 seconds.  I am I missing something with Davis, INMHO one of the strongest features is the 2.5 second update, I am surprised they don't show that off more with great color display/ui and faster updates to WU.

WLIP is designed for those who don't want to fiddle with other boxes.  Of course if you add a PC into the mix or a Meteobridge you get much  better data refresh rates.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 05:25:55 PM »
Hi,

I am looking at the Vantage Vue product.  I have been impressed with the wind speed and update times of 2.5 seconds.  Surprised by the internet connection options and the display given it is 2017.   Couple of questions, thanks.

1- Does the ISS capture wind speed in 2.5 second intervals?  Or is it something faster and averages and grabs the peak before sending every 2.5 seconds?
2- In order to up load my data to WU from the console with out a computer is all I need to order is the 6555 Davis Weatherlink IP?  What are the upload times to WU?  Are upload time the same for all third party apps?
3- Are there any other console option other than Davis 6312 and 6351?  Maybe somethig like the AcuRite HD display

2. You could use a MBPro with or without WLIP and have heaps of upload options

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 01:34:31 AM »
Thanks but I prefer not to have mac in the mix at this time and I am now leaning more towards the Pro2, after reading the manuals, specs, ... this is getting weather stuff is getting addicting :) 

So I am looking at buying the Davis 6152 Vantage Pro2 and the Davis 6555 WeatherLink IP.  The set up will be to have the Pro2 console on a table in the a great room for general viewing and will have an Ethernet cable available to connect the display to the to the logger cable and then to the router.  I will not have, nor do I want a PC or a Mac in the mix at this time and I will not be doing any data analysis other than what is available from the Weatherlink apps and WU.  I will be using the web/moble Davis Weatherlink apps (I have not seen these yet, I hope they are decent) and uploading to WU.

It is my understanding from the specifications with this set up the Pro2 console will be updated from the ISS every 2.5 seconds for wind speed/direction, 10-12 seconds outside temp, 50-60 seconds outside humidity, 10-12 seconds for rain counter, 60 seconds for inside temp and pressure.  Also, it is my understanding the Davis web/mobile app will be updated every minute from the console?   Is that correct?  Lastly, this set up will update WU every 15 minutes.

So some questions are is there a better configuration for my set up?  Is there a faster way to update to WU without a pc/mac?   Are there reasons to update to WU faster?  I understand WU updates their proprietary forecast every 15 minutes?  Does anyone know how often the WU current temp, wind, etc are updated?   Does anyone know what information is forwarded to WU?  Guessing current outside temp, current outside humidity, current wind speed/direction, current pressure?

Thank you

« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 01:38:36 AM by DC »

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 05:39:23 AM »
Thanks but I prefer not to have mac in the mix

Where was mac mentioned?

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 08:25:52 AM »
Is there a faster way to update to WU without a pc/mac?   Are there reasons to update to WU faster?

The already mentioned Meteobridge would do it. The WLIP to WU upload is handled from the Davis servers and "rapid fire" is not supported. "Rapid Fire" is the main reason for more frequent uploads as far as I know.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2017, 10:43:27 AM »
Thanks but I prefer not to have mac in the mix

Where was mac mentioned?

I _think_ DC is confusing MBPro -- Meteobridge Pro - with Mac Book Pro.  :)

Offline DC

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2017, 10:55:26 AM »
ok, thanks guys.  New to all of this, I think I get it now.  This blog/article was very helpful and recommend anyone new to all of this to read (https://www.stevejenkins.com/blog/2015/02/product-review-using-meteobridge-connect-weather-station-internet/)

So I will by adding the ambient weatherbridge (http://www.ambientweather.com/amweatherbridge.html) to my configuration of the Davis Pro2 6152, Davis Weather IP 6555, which allows me to report directly to sites like WU and not have to go through the Davis Web App and instead of 15 minute updates in the case of WU I can have 5 second updates... correct I am I missing anything?  any other suggestions?

Curious how fast most people update to WU and other sites?  Any reason you wouldn't want to update as fast as the console receives the data? 

Thanks again, very jazzed and looking forward to joining all of you with a very nice PWS system! 

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2017, 11:01:22 AM »
confusing or confused...lol :) that is an understatement... information over load and new to this world... never heard of Meteobridge before... which comes as sw or hw/sw or from a guy in the UK... it has been a lot of fun learning all this... thanks for all the help. 

FWIW, that article should be put in a resource post for newbies if one exists.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2017, 11:46:57 AM »
You can save a lot of cash by flashing your own cheap router with Meteobridge firmware.

Offline DC

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2017, 11:52:00 AM »
I saw that in the article, how much $?  I looked but couldn't find the sw license price.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 11:55:42 AM by DC »

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2017, 12:00:57 PM »
65 Euros for a petpetual license.

Offline DC

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2017, 12:36:34 PM »
Thanks, worth the effort.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2017, 12:49:25 PM »
If you do this yourself, get the Dlink router - more memory.

Offline DC

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2017, 01:02:55 PM »
will do, was planning on using them, as I have a friend who works for them.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2017, 04:58:59 PM »
Curious how fast most people update to WU and other sites?  Any reason you wouldn't want to update as fast as the console receives the data? 

Why use that much bandwidth?  Weather data changes rather slowly (with the slight exception of wind data, which is usually not of that much interest). 

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2017, 05:29:35 PM »
Agreed. I did a lot of testing for WeatherElement and decided 1x minute was fast enough, and 1x 10 minutes was OK for bandwidth limited links on cell or satellite. 10 minutes is an NWS standard for wind gusts, as I recall.

The bigger hog is what the server does with all that data. That becomes a disk hog. Davis ISS updates every 2.5 seconds. That's 34,560 updates a day, compared to 1,440 1 minute updates, or 144 10 minute updates.

Hmmm. It might be interesting to break out of the timed update model for a report-by-exception model and only send an update of a single parameter when that parameter changes.

But that's a discussion for a different thread...

Why use that much bandwidth?  Weather data changes rather slowly (with the slight exception of wind data, which is usually not of that much interest).

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
  • waiting for the rain.....
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2017, 06:02:53 PM »
If you go down the meteobridge route you could also save some money by purchasing a third party clone logger interface. There are several sources available on this forum.

Offline DC

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2017, 06:39:16 PM »
Thanks for reaching out, looks good, have to wait for the snow to melt to get internet but will look you up in April.

Offline DC

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2017, 06:45:39 PM »
Agreed. I did a lot of testing for WeatherElement and decided 1x minute was fast enough, and 1x 10 minutes was OK for bandwidth limited links on cell or satellite. 10 minutes is an NWS standard for wind gusts, as I recall.

The bigger hog is what the server does with all that data. That becomes a disk hog. Davis ISS updates every 2.5 seconds. That's 34,560 updates a day, compared to 1,440 1 minute updates, or 144 10 minute updates.

Hmmm. It might be interesting to break out of the timed update model for a report-by-exception model and only send an update of a single parameter when that parameter changes.

But that's a discussion for a different thread...

Thanks, just getting internet this spring (pretty remote location, although mobile as improved) and it will be radio towers to local town ISP (luckily do not have go with Satellite) so 1 minute makes sense... a little off topic but does WU and/or other apps have a field that show update frequencies/intervals or last update time, have looked only at WU so far but do not see anything?