Author Topic: Measuring wind speed  (Read 2992 times)

Offline J Lunis

Measuring wind speed
« on: October 28, 2015, 07:54:36 AM »
Have a WMR200A.  FINALLY got around to setting up the anemometer.  Been in service for a couple of months. My problem is the indicated wind speed.  WAY off.  On AnywhereWeather screen, the wind speed hx shows a range or 0.0 to 0.3 MPH.  Never higher. Today, for example, we are having wind gusts of 25-30 MPH.  Sustained winds of 8-10 MPH.  Hx on AnywhereWeather shows Max gust of 2.9 and wind speed a little below 0.2.  I've never seen a Max gust higher than 3.4 MPH.  I can see the unit and it spins quite fast WITHOUT wind gusts.  How can I get wind speed to measure accurately?
And a bonus.  In searching for an answer here I found a reference to having a battery pack mounted to the wind sensor by cable.  Where can I find how to do this? 

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
Re: Measuring wind speed
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 06:27:31 AM »
In back of the solar panel is an NiCad battery pack.  What software are you using sounds like it might not be set upright

Offline J Lunis

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 07:56:03 AM »
OSanywhereweather

I found the battery pack.  How do I run a cable between it and the anemometer?  If easier, just provide a link.

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 11:09:00 PM »
should be 2 cables there from it one to the  wind  and other to the thermometer

Offline J Lunis

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 09:53:53 AM »
Thx for the reply.  I can find the battery pack(?) in the solar panel. Searched the manual for "cable' and got 2 hits - USB cable and solar panel cable.  I see cables? connected to the solar panel.  How do I run a cable from the solar panel battery pack to the anemometer?  It's probably in the manual, but I can't find it.

Offline J Lunis

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 02:54:53 PM »
In back of the solar panel is an NiCad battery pack.  What software are you using sounds like it might not be set upright

OK, I'm about to give up.  Played with OSanywhereweather for several days (not ALL day).  Reset devices.  Fresh batteries.  Uninstall/reinstall sw.  Still get incorrect wind speed.  Everything else perfect.  Gave up and installed Weather OS Pro.  I can find no instructions in HELP telling me how to connect WMR200A to sw.  Google search reveals nothing.  Where can I find instructions to connect my device to the PC/SW (wireless)?  BTW, not locked in to Weather OS/Pro but it seems to have some advocates here.

Offline wa2slh

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 10:45:34 AM »
Try Cumulus. It works great.

Offline J Lunis

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2015, 08:44:13 AM »
OK, my bad.  My preference is sw that allows me to view current weather conditions from my cell, regardless of my location (500 miles away).  I do not see Cumulus has that capability.  What sw, other than osanywhereweather has that capability?

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2015, 11:11:45 AM »
J Lunis,

FWIW, this is a Cumulus web site template: http://www.smlweather.com/cumulus/index.htm .

Offline J Lunis

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2015, 11:14:18 AM »
Yeah, I read the data on Cumulus before I dl'd it.  Maybe I'm missing it, I see nothing on sending data to a cell phone or over the net.  Am I missing something?

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2015, 11:22:56 AM »
Cumulus can upload to a web server, it includes the basic template as shown above, and there other third party templates available. There are also a few third party phone apps for it such as this one... Weather Station for Cumulus
Mark

Offline J Lunis

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2015, 03:03:56 PM »
Thanks for the help.
I'm not certain I know the proper way to ask this.  To connect the WMR200A base to the PC requires a long run and installing one outlet? box on each side of one wall.  Is there a WMR200A display (same data as the base station) I can put in one room and put the base by the PC?

anything