Author Topic: Where's Ken been? Sick, and swamped  (Read 3451 times)

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
Where's Ken been? Sick, and swamped
« on: October 19, 2015, 05:41:42 PM »
I've gotten multiple emails/PMs from from folks wondering about my lack of responses for the last 2 months.. here's a short summary of what's been happening:

In late August, we had to move my 91yr old mother-in-law from assisted living to a board-and-care facility to provide the needed care for her declining health.  My wife and I had a non-cancellable cruise scheduled for mid-September so arranged for my wife's sister to stay in our house and provide care for MIL as needed while we were away.

We left for the cruise on Sept 12.  MIL passed away on Sept 14 (while we were in Budapest) and dear sister-in-law handled the needed tasks while we were on the cruise.

On the cruise, one of our travelling companions neglected to bring her COPD meds and contracted severe bronchitis and the ship arranged for a doctor in Bulgaria to come on-board, diagnose and return with meds for her condition.  Meanwhile, the viral bronchitis was passed to the rest of us.  On our return to the states on Sept 26, the COPD/bronchitis companion was taken immediately to a hospital, where she remained for 13 days and now is in a nursing care facility.  The wife had severe laryngitis for two weeks, and I had viral bronchits (and ear infection) for the same time.  Our other traveling companion also shared in the bronchitis festival and was laid low for 2+ weeks too.  We're only now feeling able to face the outside world without wearing a surgical mask to prevent others from possible exposure.

Oh, and we got mild colds from the grandkids (little petri dishes), but we love them :)

Fortunately, during the time, no major script breakages happened.  While on the ship, the satellite internet was ssslllloooowww so remote control of the weather station system meant waiting for port and using the GSM network for maint.

At the start of October, the websites I manage for the church started acting strange with 500-Server errors.  It took 10 days of their tech support offering specious suggestions before a server admin finally figured out it was a Cloud Linux setting on their server causing the issue.  Too late... I decided to port to a new hoster, and it has gone live today (19-Oct-2015).

Now I can start to catch up with the emails and PMs that have been building up .. sorry if yours is one of those in the holding pattern.. I'll try to clear out the queue in the next couple of days.
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline Otis

• (aka Paul)
  • Forecaster
    • Lake Huron Weather
Re: Where's Ken been? Sick, and swamped
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 05:57:45 PM »
Wow, hang in there Ken - don't worry about us, family first - you too!

CW3699

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 06:22:23 PM »
Damn, what the hell is it about cruises.......
Bronchitis absolutely sucks. I speak from experience.

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 01:56:06 AM »
Very sorry to hear about your troubles and loss, Ken.

Take care.
John
W7JKG

Offline Skyview

• Forecaster
  • Former Aviation Weather Observer
    • Fuquay Varina Weather
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 03:00:09 AM »
Hope you are all well very soon Ken!

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 03:32:22 AM »
I hope things will go better now and you recover soon. We are of course all happy you are back, but likewise, it is quite obvious that health and family are much more important than some scripts :)

Offline Silversword

• --Stan Y.
  • Forecaster
    • Up Country Maui Weather
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 12:48:56 PM »
That was a bad ordeal to get into for a cruise.  Hope all is well with you and your family.  I know the feeling about grand kids bringing home the nasty stuff from school and spreading the "wealth".

Also sorry for your loss in the family with condolences from our family.

I also had some issues with our host for having over the limit of 20 for Entry Process was reached.  For some reason it did not reset when people went off my site and it just accumulated to the limit and shut down my site.  Put in a ticket and they found that the index.php was causing this issue.  They finally concluded that some setting was not set when they moved my site to another server.  All is well for now.

Regards,

--Stan Y.
   Maui, Hawaii
Stan Y. - KH6HHG - Maui, Hawaii
 --- Blitzortung ID: 993
 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-PHOG1

WDL 6.05
MS Windows 7 Pro
Dell Optiplex GX280-Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHz, 4 GB RAM
Davis Vantage Pro 2+ Wireless
Webcam: Axis 211

anything