Author Topic: Davis Facebook page requesting input on Vantage Pro 3  (Read 27256 times)

Offline tandy1000

• Contributor
Davis Facebook page requesting input on Vantage Pro 3
« on: December 19, 2013, 07:28:07 AM »
On the Davis Instruments Facebook page, they've asked, "What does Vantage Pro3 look like to you? What features would you like to see? What features do you NOT want to see?"

Have they previously asked for this type of feedback in a public forum? Has the excellent work of the folks here finally made them understand that locking down console data is a bad idea? I can't fathom that they are just getting around to designing the VP3, so this question seems a bit odd.

Anyway, hello all! I'm still in the ranks of a potential customer. I was nearly ready to buy a VP2, until the green dot fiasco, and have been closely following the work being done here.

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
Re: Davis Facebook page requesting input on Vantage Pro 3
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 08:59:56 AM »
Wonder if this is something already in development or they are just starting.
I was going to purchase a new station in the spring, and now I may have to wait as long as my 9 year old VP2 holds out.
Tony

Offline torkelmj

• Contributor
    • My weather station, etc.
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 10:22:30 AM »
Interesting.

A good starting point may be to allow users who have previously been banned from their FB page to post their suggestions.

Offline moehoward4

• Forecaster
  • Jack in SE MA.
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 12:11:21 PM »
Davis should start educating their T/S people now............before they start selling a VP3
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 09:45:37 AM by moehoward4 »
3 Davis set-ups...which one ya wanna talk about? And I got ALL my manuals....

Offline tandy1000

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 01:26:43 PM »
I sent them a fairly lengthy email (they posted an address in the thread for those who wanted to provide more than an FB posting) - mainly around the need for openness. A few of the items I suggested were:

- A console with WiFi built in, such that a remote computer could have full access to the realtime and archived data.
- An API such that apps (be they open-source weather station software, iOS, Android, etc) could make full use of that data. I think that a plethora of apps would actually help VP3 sales.
- Be able to have multiple, low-cost temp/hum sensors so they could be placed in various parts of my house, shed, etc. Something akin to the THGR810 as I believe it can be on any of 10 channels.

So I really want the best of all worlds; the customization abilities of a homebrew system, but with quality hardware at the core. I'm not terribly optimistic.  :???: 

As for my Tandy 1000, it is no more. However I do still have the 8088 that I extracted from it, when I upgraded it to a speedy NEC V20.  :-)

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 02:29:45 PM »
- An API such that apps (be they open-source weather station software, iOS, Android, etc) could make full use of that data. I think that a plethora of apps would actually help VP3 sales.

The do have a WU API you can play around with. I get some data to my site using it.
You're limited in the number of calls is the only drawback.
Tony

Offline LABob

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 03:36:31 PM »
On the Davis Instruments Facebook page, they've asked, "What does Vantage Pro3 look like to you? What features would you like to see? What features do you NOT want to see?"

My first request would be for people who choose not to use Facebook be given the opportunity to provide feedback.

Offline tandy1000

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 03:41:09 PM »

My first request would be for people who choose not to use Facebook be given the opportunity to provide feedback.

They did post an email address in the thread: share@davisnet.com - so I'd send away!

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 08:08:47 PM »
Here is the text of my email to Davis on the VP3 suggestions:

I don't have a Facebook account, but I would like to give my inputs about the potential VP3. I have been a VP2 user for nearly two years now. My system consists of the 6152 with Standard Radiation Shield, Remote Temp/Hum station (upgraded with solar panel), Remote Temp station, two VUE consoles, Envoy 8x, Envoy. I also have the USB loggers and one WLIP. In addition I have a Universal Anemometer Interface being used for a R M Young Wind Monitor.

Here are my suggestions/complaints for the VP3.

I really love the VUE consoles. The new VP3 console should be like a "big brother" version of the VUE, while maintaining and enhancing the VP2-type capabilities (extra stations).

Ability to use the Anemometer Transmitter as the way to bring in the Solar and UV data. This was my biggest disappointment about the VP2. It is quite natural (in my opinion) to site the UV/Solar near the 6332. Also, have a bracket available to facilitate this installation. (I used a third party bracket for my solar sensor).

Along these same lines, more flexibility to be able to read other sensors directly via any SIM-based station. This might be a "Envoy 8x" type option. (although 8x would be better if you could use it with something other than the WDTU!)

A more capable WLIP, with a built-in web server. The current WLIP is very limited and slow. Had I known about the OpenWrt-based Meteobridge back when I bought my system, I would have gone with that right away instead of getting the WLIP.

Be able to read Solar Panel, Battery Voltage (not just the bad/good indication) and Super Cap voltage. The Envoy 8x seems to have the hooks to support this. Knowing exactly what is happening at the ISS/SIM stations would be very good for troubleshooting.

Lightning detection as an option. The AMS AS3935 would be a good way to implement this.

A serious modernization of the Weatherlink software is needed. But the built-in web server might be the better approach. Then it could be viewed via a browser, making it cross-platform.

The VP2 is a good product and I have been very happy with it. I don't hesitate to recommend Davis at all. As any product there is always room for improvement. I hope that you will consider some of my suggestions.

Greg Hamel

Greg

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline C5250

• Forecaster
    • Local weather
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2013, 11:33:48 PM »
Consoles should also be able to function as a temp and/or temp/humidity station. That and "Ability to use the Anemometer Transmitter as the way to bring in the Solar and UV data" are the two biggest current short comings, IMHO.

Next on my list would be rain bucket clogging, the current screen is a joke. A datalogger, or at the very least a Console serial/USB port should not be an extra cost option.
Precious little in your life is yours by right and won without a fight.

Offline LABob

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2013, 11:57:46 PM »
I think the number one issue is how difficult Davis intentionally makes it to get data out of our equipment. Purposefully crippling hardware for no purpose other than to force people to purchase additional hardware is not a practice a reputable, customer-oriented business should be engaged in. Davis should be finding ways to make it easier to get data out of their weather systems in the most open, flexible format possible. WiFi chips are so cheap that there's no financial reason not to include them in the next generation of consoles. Having the current console data available over WiFi would be a boon to users.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2013, 12:23:33 AM »
I think the number one issue is how difficult Davis intentionally makes it to get data out of our equipment. Purposefully crippling hardware for no purpose other than to force people to purchase additional hardware is not a practice a reputable, customer-oriented business should be engaged in. Davis should be finding ways to make it easier to get data out of their weather systems in the most open, flexible format possible. WiFi chips are so cheap that there's no financial reason not to include them in the next generation of consoles. Having the current console data available over WiFi would be a boon to users.

Since serial has about gone away, they ought to just combine the datalogger into the console and sell it with a USB or IP option.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2013, 12:49:48 AM »

Since serial has about gone away, they ought to just combine the datalogger into the console and sell it with a USB or IP option.

Unh unh... Too many OEMs still use good ol' RS232...

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2013, 01:04:44 AM »
Liked several ideas on FB for a touch screen display. Eliminate buttons and allow for a larger screen. Also touch screens especially when illuminated are easier to operate in a dark room than having to figure out which button is which.

I also notice there are a lot of ideas for ultrasonic anemometers, ceilometers visibility sensors etc. I'm hoping if Davis does implement these they be optional as such features would most likely inflate the price of the VP3.

Some things I'd like to see
1. As mentioned earlier the ability to add solar/UV sensors to anemometer transmitter.
2. Ultrasonic anemometer, cloud height, visibility, and Wi-Fi be optional to keep the VP3 affordable.
3. Ability to add multiple ISS's or wind stations.
4. Built in USB connection with SD card slot for data logging.  
5. Ability to easily detach the rain from the temperature/humidity sensor to allow for better siting.
6. Touch display. Some FB comments talk about color displays. This might be good for those who have eye trouble.
7. Redo the graph. Instead of the graph being divided into 8 sections have a finer grid imprinted to offer a better point of reference.
8. Do a wind sensor on a "T" apparatus like the old Heath Kits to eliminate the anemometer's arm it's self from creating wind eddies.
9. Provide wind speed in 0.1 mph increments.
10. calculate sunshine hours based off of solar readings and use sunshine/solar data in the forecasting algorithm.

For a nice color touch display I think of those like Columbia Weather Systems. They look nice and are easy to use.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2013, 03:16:44 AM »
I'd be pretty surprised if a VP3 was anything like imminent - there are no trade rumours that I've heard to this effect.

Davis do generally issue their catalogue annually and in early January so I'd expect the 2014 issue to surface in the next 2-3 weeks possibly. But I'm not anticipating too much new there for the next year at least (but this is purely me speculating and I could be wrong). Suggestions like making solar/UV data available via a 6332 box have been around for a long time and it wouldn't surprise me to see something like a console firmware update that enables this feature, assuming that it's feasible to do so from a coding and processor speed/power angle.

But beyond this, my guess would be:

2014: Detailed engineering development of a VP3
2015: Extended beta testing
2016: Announcement in the new catalogue and availability during that year

It could of course happen more quickly. But, if past experience were to hold, then the engineering development phase does take time, especially if there's a need to redesign any components following initial testing (though conversely reuse of some existing sensor components could shorten development time - I wouldn't be surprised if most VP3 development focuses around the console unit). And Davis do tend to undertake fairly extensive beta testing - apart from anything else, there's a need to test during all the seasons of the year.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2013, 08:00:32 AM »
One thing that I didn't mention was "not breaking VP2 compatibility" with remote sensors, like they did going from VP1 to VP2.

Greg

Offline jerryyyyy

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2013, 10:06:55 AM »
I'd like to be able to integrate the station into astronomy software.  Temperatures can be used for various adjustments. 

Offline gvmelbrty

• Sandia Knolls, NM Weather
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2013, 05:17:33 PM »
This is the list I sent in to share@davisnet.com:

1. Large color touch-screen console (but remain compatible w/ less expensive Vue consoles).
2. USB data logger built into console.
3. Upgrade ISS temp/humidity to Sensirion SHT75.
4. Less expensive remote temp/humidity sensors with 10 possible channels.
5. Allow custom naming of sensors so console display reads "Garage," "Wine Cellar," "Patio," etc. instead of "#1, #2, #3."
6. Allow console to display multiple temp/hum sensors simultaneously via custom screen setups and/or via sensor scrolling.
7. Display rising/steady/falling trend arrows for all temp/humidity sensors.
8. Rain gauge design improvement.. Rain-fall accuracy is the weakest point of my VP2.
9. Allow solar and uv sensors to utilize the wireless anemomter transmitter.
10. Remove temp/humidity sensor from INSIDE console - sensor is not accurate due to console heating. Instead, include small remote temp/hum sensor that plugs into console via detachable standard phone cable.
11. Improve built-in forecasting algorithm and/or offer multiple algorithms to choose from via console preferences.
12. Allow multiple ISS's and anemometer/wind direction sensors.
13. Lightning detection system add-on option.
14. Forget trying to improve WeatherLink, both Mac OSX and Window's versions. You'll expend too many resources and still probably end up with an inferior product. Instead, work out deals with 3rd-party Davis-compatible software vendors to offer discount vouchers along with VP3 purchase (WeatherCat (http://trixology.com/), Weather Display (http://www.weather-display.com/), etc.).
15. Cooperatively create and maintain API's that facilitate complete and easy software integration for 3rd party programers.
16. Allow console firmware updates via Mac OS X.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 11:03:53 PM by gvmelbrty »

Offline C5250

• Forecaster
    • Local weather
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2013, 10:52:47 PM »
Suggestions like making solar/UV data available via a 6332 box have been around for a long time and it wouldn't surprise me to see something like a console firmware update that enables this feature, assuming that it's feasible to do so from a coding and processor speed/power angle.

Highly unlikely. The VP2 Console has to support so many hardware variations that there is virtually no memory space available to add additional features. If they did something like eliminate support for analog temp and humidity sensors and eliminated support for all but the last LCD version, that could free up enough memory to do so. But I suspect the extra features of the Vue console would be added first, and it become a firmware that can't be used on any VP2 console.
Precious little in your life is yours by right and won without a fight.

Offline mmorris

• Forecaster
  • Hope your day is full of sunshine
    • Weather and Racin
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2013, 04:33:44 AM »
They might want to fix the Radio so your station only picks up your Station and not one day just starts picking up your neighbor station...
>>Miles<<  By from Portage Lakes, OH.
Been using VWS since 1996 Ver# 14.01P43
Wireless Vantage Pro2Plus Serial Data Logger, Anemo Tran Kit
Win XP, Firefox, WXSIM, Cumulus, NexStorm, Yawcam, VVP, BadBlue Web server, Quake Catcher Net
Follow me on twitter
Vietnam era Veteran USAF bb loader
Quadruple Bypass survivor

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2013, 10:34:02 AM »
My suggestion to Davis™:  take the OSI WMR300 capabilities 'list' and duplicate everything on that list in the VP3, only do it BETTER!

Davis™ has the quality, but they lack the features and ease-of-use that OSI systems offer!

Davis™ needs to make the VP3 worthy of its price difference above the OSI products.

I didn't really check out the OSI WMR300 until today. The outdoor "ISS" unit really looks like a Davis clone. Davis better watch their back, this is clearly moving into their "territory".

Greg

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2013, 05:24:08 PM »
They might want to fix the Radio so your station only picks up your Station and not one day just starts picking up your neighbor station...
There is a fix. Put your ISS on a different ID and turn ID #1 off.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2013, 05:46:39 PM »

Time to move to 2.4 gHz.  Use a GUID and you can get kms of reception.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2013, 05:48:09 PM »
Smaller, cheaper remote temp/hum sensors and a universal input to allow user defined measurments like water depth etc.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline mmorris

• Forecaster
  • Hope your day is full of sunshine
    • Weather and Racin
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2013, 07:09:36 PM »
There is a fix. Put your ISS on a different ID and turn ID #1 off.

That only works if you have less the 8 transmitter, or less then 8 neighbor that have station and if they decide to have extra transmitters.
>>Miles<<  By from Portage Lakes, OH.
Been using VWS since 1996 Ver# 14.01P43
Wireless Vantage Pro2Plus Serial Data Logger, Anemo Tran Kit
Win XP, Firefox, WXSIM, Cumulus, NexStorm, Yawcam, VVP, BadBlue Web server, Quake Catcher Net
Follow me on twitter
Vietnam era Veteran USAF bb loader
Quadruple Bypass survivor