Author Topic: any fully built kits for sale?  (Read 1188 times)

Offline piconut

• Juggler Extraordinaire
  • Forecaster
    • South Austin Weather
any fully built kits for sale?
« on: September 08, 2013, 06:44:23 PM »
I would like to participate in this Blitzortung project but I don't think I have the skills needed for soldering the electronics, nor do I know how to read a schematic.  I would be willing to pay someone to build one for me, or are there any pre-built kits available?

Thanks...

Scott in Austin Texas
  • Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus
  • Virtual VP
  • Virtual Weather Station V15.00
  • Cumulus
  • Cumulus MX
  • Image Salsa
  • IP TimeLapse

Offline Andy G

• Forecaster
    • SunPrairieWeather.com
Re: any fully built kits for sale?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 06:58:12 PM »
I would like to participate in this Blitzortung project but I don't think I have the skills needed for soldering the electronics, nor do I know how to read a schematic.  I would be willing to pay someone to build one for me, or are there any pre-built kits available?

Thanks...

Scott in Austin Texas

I second that pretty much word for word

Thanks Andy
Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy.
~Einstein

SunPrairieWeather.com
Davis VP2 24 FARS

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 07:03:38 PM »
Hi Scott and Andy,

Actually you don't need to know how to read a schematic to assemble the kit. The boards are marked with the part ID's, plus there are 2 complete part lists for both boards in the "Cover Your Area" section of the website. The biggest challenge for me in terms of soldering were the 4 very small IC's (integrated circuits) and the GPS module. Outside of the those parts, it wasn't bad at all. Plus this was the first major soldering project I had attempted in over 10 years. There are others who have not soldered in 25+ years and have kits in hand, or on order. I had to buy everything to do this project.

The biggest issue was not to get in a hurry in assembling.

Hope this helps,

John Sacrey
Benton, AR
Blitzortung RED Station #722

Edit: I would be willing to help in the assembly process, if you would like. Just shoot me a PM.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 07:43:59 PM by sacreyweather »
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 07:15:58 PM »
Many of us old fogies haven't used those techniques in years, and we dusted the stuff off, run the spouse and dog off, and set down and went to work. Amazingly, following instructions, these things work, for the most part, when we're through... yeah, there's some tricky stuff, but there's a lot of help here, and on the other Blitzortung forums... building it will help you understand what's happening, and why it's a network... this isn't so much about 1 station being 'perfect' (but for the most part, a lot of us are hung on that  :lol: ) its a global team effort...