Author Topic: Wind Direction Offset  (Read 1646 times)

Offline SimonB

• Contributor
    • meteo.capetown
Wind Direction Offset
« on: June 16, 2015, 10:11:26 AM »
This may be a really dumb newbie question

I live in the Southern Hemisphere, and my 1400IP is installed exactly as per instructions.  This means that the solar panel is pointed in the wrong direction.  So the question is, is the panel sensitive enough to recharge the batteries properly when pointed south?  The PWS has been up for 10 days now without any issues so far.

I'm thinking I'm better off turning it around and configuring the wind direction offset to 180 degrees.

What say the experts?

Offline arlowx

Re: Wind Direction Offset
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 06:42:51 AM »
I not an expert & as I live in the Northern Hemisphere I wouldn't have thought of this issue.

But I do have the same PWS & looking at the calibration utility I am guessing that is why it has such a large range. If it were me, I would probably orient the panel to get the best solar gain & then add the right correction.

Offline Pooley

• My Weatherstation on Wunderground
Re: Wind Direction Offset
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 12:06:17 AM »
This may be a really dumb newbie question

I live in the Southern Hemisphere, and my 1400IP is installed exactly as per instructions.  This means that the solar panel is pointed in the wrong direction.  So the question is, is the panel sensitive enough to recharge the batteries properly when pointed south?  The PWS has been up for 10 days now without any issues so far.

I'm thinking I'm better off turning it around and configuring the wind direction offset to 180 degrees.

What say the experts?

I live in the southern hemisphere myself (Adelaide, Australia) and I have similar instructions to these for recalibrating the weather station for the southern hemisphere - https://www.jaycar.com/products_uploaded/XC0369%20Wind%20Direction%20Calibration%20Sth%20Hemisphere%20130919.pdf

This exactly what you need to do for accuracy.

anything