Author Topic: Is Vantage Vue Console Bad or is it the Weather Link Data Logger  (Read 1579 times)

Offline Shelley

Is Vantage Vue Console Bad or is it the Weather Link Data Logger
« on: September 24, 2016, 08:44:36 PM »
Greetings,

I have a Vantage Vue Console 6351.  I use this with the Weatherlink Data Logger to log to Virtual Weather Station and upload to WU.

Starting today it is no longer communicating with the PC.  Is there any way to tell if the issue is with the console itself or with the Data Logger (serial). 

One hint might be that it is convinced that the console batteries are low - and I have tried 2 new sets.

Any help is appreciated.

Shelley

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
Re: Is Vantage Vue Console Bad or is it the Weather Link Data Logger
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 09:50:58 PM »
How long have you had the logger?

To reset :
  if you have inserted the data logger with power on the console, you will need to reset data logger:
power down the console completly
then remove the data logger and cable to the pc
then wait 1 minute
then put back in, re power up the console, do the done - key pad thing
then check the time and date is ok
then set the data logger to 1 minute loggin either with wlink of WD (i.e click on abort in wd with that data logging window open)
then wait for data to accumulate in wd before retesting

Offline Shelley

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 09:59:36 AM »
How long have you had the logger?

To reset :
  if you have inserted the data logger with power on the console, you will need to reset data logger:
power down the console completly

First - I mis-wrote the console model number - it is a 6250.

2nd - I'm not sure how long I've had the data logger - same as the console - probably 7 or 8 years.  It has certainly lasted longer than the weather station that has had to be replaced. 

I followed your instructions to no avail.  Still no data showing on the PC or going to WU.

Any more ideas?  Both the console and data logger are expensive and I do not want to buy one or the other if I don't need it.

Shelley

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 10:54:58 AM »
maybe your settings are off, some how  changed?
try going through the setup manual for the logger you have:  http://www.davisnet.com/product_documents/weather/manuals/07395-210_GSG_06510_6555.pdf

If that doesn't work,  Call Davis.  they do repair the logger should that be what they think it might be.    That is probably the best suggestion I can do.  If I have a problem, I check my software settings and then if that doesn't work, I give them a call.  I figure you are not the only one with that problem.

I would call them rather than email. They take a long time to answer email:   Technical Support: (510) 732-7814    7am to 5:30 pm Pacific time.

http://www.davisnet.com/contact-us/

Should you have to get a new logger in the long run,  Scaled instruments are in Florida  his prices are far less than Davis,  I think a new logger is 117.

https://www.scaledinstruments.com/

Try checking the settings first,  then call Davis and see what they know and if they think it is the logger then see if the repair cost out weights a new logger.   Scaled instruments is really a good place and won't cheat you.

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 10:59:50 AM »
Also, if you need a new logger you can get a "clone" from belfryboy that is a lot cheaper than a new Davis.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2016, 12:17:07 PM »
Starting today it is no longer communicating with the PC.  Is there any way to tell if the issue is with the console itself or with the Data Logger (serial). 

There's a strong probability that there's no fault with either console or logger (unless eg you've recently had a nearby lightning strike or serious mains spike that could have caused some electronics damage) - it's more likely to be a logger mode or PC configuration issue.

One problem is that 'no longer communicating with the PC' could have several causes. You're welcome to take a look at our knowledgebase dealing with this topic:

http://www.manula.com/manuals/pws/davis-kb/1/en/topic/no-logger-communications

Bu you do need to work methodically through all the suggestions and not skip steps.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Shelley

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2016, 05:10:08 PM »
Issue FIXED!  I have no idea why but it works.  I started going through step by step - but nothing I had not done before.  Restarting program, restarting computer, restarting console, and all of a sudden something clicked and - it works!  I'm happy!  Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions.  This forum is a great resource! 

Shelley :grin:

anything