Author Topic: replacement station is not charging its battery  (Read 3803 times)

Offline Fox_Of_The_Wind

• Forecaster
  • Hi there!
    • http://www.desotowiwx.com
replacement station is not charging its battery
« on: September 03, 2016, 02:21:56 PM »
I had to replace my first station with its temperature quit working. Now this one don't seem to want to fully charge its battery. I been emailing bloomsky and they said that it don't look like its charging a lot so they would exchange my solar panel. I don't belive the solar panel is the problem becuase right now I have it pluged in to a wall outlet and the battery is still not charging.

Any thoughts on this?

Anthony

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
Re: replacement station is not charging its battery
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2016, 02:52:31 PM »
One thing more... Yes, your graph looked exactly like mine did. 

I have gone through 3 of them.  The first one quit working everytime it rained, had a hell of a problem connecting to wifi.   I sent that one back to Amazon and exchanged it for a 2nd.  That one connected fine to the wifi (although on the other one I got a honking big router. in the mean time:  Linkysys WRT 1900 ACS ) and the panel worked fine.    However,  that one didn't hold the charge as your isn't doing.

So  I contacted the again and they sent me out the one on the pole.  It charges fine,  but the wifi is weak. I had to download an app to run back and forth inthe yard to find the best location.  I did find it.

I am guessing the following are true:
1. the solar panel is fine, but the charging circuit in the Sky1 (and maybe the same in the Sky 2 , more on that theory coming up).    If yours isn't holding charge have them exchange both the panel and the unit.

2. The wifi transmitter in the unit is flaky.   It isn't that strong. I asked them why not go with something robust like the 5GHZ, but they said they wanted distance over strength, which goes with the transmitter isn't strong. Although the Davis isn't a wifi unit  it gets good range from where my console and Envoy are.   The Bloomsky isn't.  I had it next to the Davis and for 2 units that worked, the replacement 3rd, bleah.

I figure that  when they did the Sky 2 unit, they said they made it easier to set up with Bluetooth, but also it connects with wifi. They also moved the UV sensor to their Storm unit.   I am guessing the second unit connects to the first unit (they updated their iphone app last night .it shows it)    Now that is two minor changes.

Most companies don't do a  Kickstarter fundraiser for two minor, insignificant changes.   I am guessing they know  the charging circuit is for shit.   I have a friend in Michigan who sent his unit back. It failed to hold a charge after 8 days.

So what I would do is tell them to send you both.  If they say they don't have any in stock, see if they will do a deal on the new one for you.  I am betting not, but worth a try. 

It hasn't been 8 days since the new one came aboard.   Yes, it does lose the signal when it rains.

Offline Fox_Of_The_Wind

• Forecaster
  • Hi there!
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 03:03:08 PM »
That is what I thought also. I did email the guy saying that I don't think its the solar panel being that it will not charge when plugged in...so time will tell.

Anthony

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2016, 03:12:08 PM »
I would send him back an email saying that Joe Toubes and Scott P. and others have had the same problem, it doesn't hold a charge.

I also found out that the batteries are not replaceable, I think a sales ploy, when the battery dies you buy a new unit. They claim 300 charging cycles or more from a dead unit

No,  I'd go after them again, saying exchange both the panel and the unit
This is the email I got:
James W. replied:
Dear Joseph,

It should be able to stay in the rain. I see the August 10th time lapse, but nothing before it because of the restart. The transmissions look good, not sure why it shut down for that 45 minutes. I can replace that device. May I have your order number?

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2016, 07:36:06 PM »
Does the unit still work?
Starting at 8-31 to the end of the graph is the same voltage mine charges at.
About 2606 during the day to 2585 at it's lowest point in the morning before charging up again.
Mine has been like that for several  months with no problems.

The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline Fox_Of_The_Wind

• Forecaster
  • Hi there!
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2016, 03:24:28 PM »
Does the unit still work?
Starting at 8-31 to the end of the graph is the same voltage mine charges at.
About 2606 during the day to 2585 at it's lowest point in the morning before charging up again.
Mine has been like that for several  months with no problems.

Yes it is still working but I am scared that when winter sets in I will get more clouds and less sun and the battery will not last.

Anthony

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2016, 04:05:45 PM »
Comparing his and my unit, there is definitely something wrong.  If it isn't charging with the AC Adapter, then it needs to be replace. Remember there is a time limit on the warranty.  I'd contact them, phone them, do whatever is necessary for them to send you out a new solar panel and Camera and quit farting around with this problem.

I don't have my first unit's data here, but it charged up with the charger, then promptly died to what Foxy is getting. And yes, when the sun angle drops, the only option is to tilt the solar panel some how.

Offline Fox_Of_The_Wind

• Forecaster
  • Hi there!
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 08:33:32 PM »
after going back and forth a few times I now have a replacement replacement weather station in the mail

Anthony

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2016, 09:23:35 PM »
after going back and forth a few times I now have a replacement replacement weather station in the mail

I didn't unpack the charger, but I would do that if I went down that path.  Good luck with it.  I am pretty confident that they (bloomsky geeks)  probably saw the need for upgrading their system for more than the camera.

now all we have to do is get Davis to upgrade the VP2 and have some great software for the mac.   Yes, and I believe in the tooth fairy and the Easter Bunny.

Offline Fox_Of_The_Wind

• Forecaster
  • Hi there!
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2016, 03:16:50 PM »
replacement station is doing the same thing the other one is.......just keeps losing power during the day. I am just going to let it go and see what will happen this time. I might just be watching it to close or something??

Anthony

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2016, 07:09:04 PM »
replacement station is doing the same thing the other one is.......just keeps losing power during the day. I am just going to let it go and see what will happen this time. I might just be watching it to close or something??

Does the solar panel get a lot of sunlight during the day?  I notice here as the sun angle changes, the voltage is getting lower. I suspect after the trees have shed their  leaves it might go back up.  But with winter,  I am bringing it in and running it through the glass window.     

Do you see   something similar with the graph , recharging then discharging?    What did they replace, both the camera and the solar panel?   if not go after them again.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2016, 07:44:25 PM »
I don't know if this is helpful or not, but this is what my voltage has looked like through the year.

I run my Bloomsky directly of the AC adapter.

The big dips in the graph are from when the unit was accidentally unplugged.  The last one was from the AC adapter blowing out.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline Fox_Of_The_Wind

• Forecaster
  • Hi there!
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2016, 08:01:06 PM »
I don't know if this is helpful or not, but this is what my voltage has looked like through the year.

I run my Bloomsky directly of the AC adapter.

The big dips in the graph are from when the unit was accidentally unplugged.  The last one was from the AC adapter blowing out.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

ok, It looks like yours waits till it gets around 2300mV 2400mV then it chargers again? I am going to see if mine does the same.  As I post this mine is around 2600mV

There might be some kind of setting that it will only charge the battery when it gets to a certain voltage?

Because it looks like mine is charging about the same.

Thank you!

Anthony

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2016, 08:08:14 PM »
this looks like the  unit I had three units ago.  I am guessing the charging circuit and whatever holds the charge, super cap ,  doesn't work.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2016, 08:12:43 PM »
I'm not sure about that.  If it had been plugged in all the time, it would probably be much more consistent in voltage.  The dips are where AC power was lost due to the power cord coming unplugged.

When I first got it, I powered the BloomSky by bringing it in the house and recharging it every 2 or 3 weeks as necessary.  That got to be a real pain, especially as the software of the time wasn't real good at altering me when the voltage was getting critical.

So I just ran an extension cord to the device and ran it from the AC adapter.  That's worked pretty well for me, except when the extension cord gets unplugged for some reason, and the recently blown transformer. 

It might not be that good for the battery, though, but since I'm on AC, I guess it doesn't matter much.

I'm going to put up another BloomSky (and Storm) later this year that will be running off the solar panels.  I'll probably do that at my Texas location.

anything