Author Topic: Dewpoint reading showing higher than the temperature?  (Read 2742 times)

Offline Tennesseestorm

Dewpoint reading showing higher than the temperature?
« on: July 03, 2019, 08:31:44 PM »
I am not a weather expert, but know a little about weather.  This morning before I left work my new Acurite weather station was showing the current temperature of 68 and a current dewpoint of 69 - humidity was 99%.  How could the dewpoint be higher than the temperature?  I never seen that before on my Davis weather station, so a little confused.  Any thoughts? 

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Re: Dewpoint reading showing higher than the temperature?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 08:56:07 PM »
Probably a rounding issue.

Dewpoint isn’t directly measured, but is an approximation based on temperature and relative humidity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2019, 09:05:48 PM »
How could the dewpoint be higher than the temperature?
It can't, physical impossibility unless you get into supersaturation situations in the upper levels of the atmosphere.

Offline Tennesseestorm

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 09:28:50 PM »
Thanks.  I don't know what the deal is.  I know that the dewpoint cannot be higher than the temp, but this weather station does not seem to know that.  You would think even if the temp was 68.4, it would have said the dew point was 68, not 69.  I wonder if I could fidget with the calibration?  So far, not happy with this weather station - not only because of this, but also cannot even get connected to wi-fi and it is a wi-fi model, but that is a story on a different thread.  I love the display however.  It is clear and easy to read - much better than my Davis weather station console.   
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 09:30:23 PM by Tennesseestorm »

Online DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2019, 08:25:48 AM »
Send it back and get a PC connect display model... that's what I would do.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2019, 10:04:03 AM »
Why switch it for the PC connected model? Does that one calculate dew point differently?
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Online DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2019, 01:00:21 PM »
The wifi is too difficult to work with, and is limited to Wunderground. The dewpoint is correct on my display, however, the model I have does not show dewpoint unless the thermometer is below 75 out. It defaults to Heat index. It also does not tell dewpoint on the bottom ticker...

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2019, 03:09:11 PM »
The dewpoint is correct on my display, however, the model I have does not show dewpoint unless the thermometer is below 75 out. It defaults to Heat index. It also does not tell dewpoint on the bottom ticker...
You gotta be kidding....

Offline Tennesseestorm

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2019, 03:14:25 PM »
Why switch it for the PC connected model? Does that one calculate dew point differently?

That is what I was wondering as well.   :grin:

Offline Tennesseestorm

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2019, 03:17:08 PM »
The dewpoint is correct on my display, however, the model I have does not show dewpoint unless the thermometer is below 75 out. It defaults to Heat index. It also does not tell dewpoint on the bottom ticker...
You gotta be kidding....

Yeah, I just figured that out today and I am not happy about that.  I am always interested in the dew point and wondering why the last two days I came home from work I was not getting the dew point until it dropped into the 70s.  I started reading the book and found that out about an hour ago.  That alone makes me want to send it back, because it seems as if there is no way to override it?  Also, right now it is showing 88 degrees with a heat index of 92 and a feels like of 93.  I thought heat index and feels like were the same?  I would rather have one of those show me the dew point.  Even on the upper corner where it changes info, it never shows the dew point unless it is below 80 degrees.  Bummer.  What makes it more of a bummer is that I love the display.  Oh well, cannot have it all?  lol. 
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 03:20:46 PM by Tennesseestorm »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2019, 03:22:18 PM »
You gotta be kidding....
That alone makes me want to send it back
Your stuff, but I couldn't get it in the mail fast enough. :roll:

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2019, 03:23:53 PM »
You gotta be kidding....

To the general consumer, the heat index is more important than the dewpoint.

Send it back it bugs you so much.  Sheesh.  :roll:

Again, that's why Acurite tends to make so many displays... you can't please everyone.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 03:26:50 PM by nincehelser »

Offline Tennesseestorm

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2019, 03:40:56 PM »
I guess so, but I like to know the dew point.  My "humidity" reading stopped working on my Davis Weather station which was the only reason I wanted to replace it with a new one.  I feel it should let you decide what you want it to read.  Also, not sure why it has one for feels like and one for heat index.  I thought it was the same. 

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2019, 03:48:00 PM »
I guess so, but I like to know the dew point.  My "humidity" reading stopped working on my Davis Weather station which was the only reason I wanted to replace it with a new one.  I feel it should let you decide what you want it to read.  Also, not sure why it has one for feels like and one for heat index.  I thought it was the same.

"Feels Like" and "Heat Index" aren't quite the same.  "Feels Like" adds wind speed into the equation.

Offline Tennesseestorm

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2019, 05:49:37 PM »
That is what I thought.  Per the Acurite support page, the feels like only displays when the temp is below 80, but it is 89 at my house and it is showing it.  The Acurite setup/info pages really go against themselves and not always what they say. 

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2019, 06:19:03 PM »
That is what I thought.  Per the Acurite support page, the feels like only displays when the temp is below 80, but it is 89 at my house and it is showing it.  The Acurite setup/info pages really go against themselves and not always what they say.

If that's what you thought, then why did you ask? 

You said you thought they were the same.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 06:20:49 PM by nincehelser »

Offline Tennesseestorm

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2019, 08:55:30 PM »
I meant that is what I thought the "feels like" meant, but with the wind chill, not the heat index.  I have never heard heat index and feels like being the same thing.  Around here - our stations tell us it is the same.  Sorry, I sometimes get in a hurry and do not always have time to type what all I am trying to say.  I came here for help, not to be criticized or made to look dumb.  There have been a couple of letdowns with this and thus far nothing has helped and yes it does bother me that the dewpoint goes away after 80+ degrees.  Thanks for the info. 
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 09:02:26 PM by Tennesseestorm »

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2019, 09:28:09 PM »
And I'm sorry I wasted my time trying to help.

Offline Neil_O

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2019, 11:32:23 PM »
And I'm sorry I wasted my time trying to help.
Is it too difficult for you to simply be civil to someone who explained themselves and basically apologized??  You're a wealth of knowledge, and I think all appreciate that.  However,  the tone of your responses can some reluctant to post their thoughts.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2019, 11:45:39 PM »
And the same goes for others.

The tone you read is in your own head, not mine.

You don't think this is uncivil?: "I came here for help, not to be criticized or made to look dumb."

How the heck did I make him "look dumb"?

Others here have criticized others for using improper capitalization.  Talk about pendantic boors.

No matter how few words I use, someone has to get their undies in a bunch.

Or my words are too big.  Or my words are too many.

It's a no-win situation.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 12:03:59 AM by nincehelser »

Offline Neil_O

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2019, 12:05:26 AM »
And the same goes for others.

The tone you read is in your own head, not mine.

You don't think this is uncivil?: "I came here for help, not to be criticized or made to look dumb."

No matter how few words I use, someone has to get their undies in a bunch.

Or my words are too big.  Or my words are too many.

It's a no-win situation.
No, your words aren't "too big".  But your tone is often condescending.  Case in  point: "To the general consumer, the heat index is more important than the dewpoint.  Send it back it bugs you so much.  Sheesh. " 

Not a particularly friendly tone as a response to someone who simply disagrees with you.  And do you have a source that substantiates the claim "To the general consumer, the heat index is more important than the dewpoint."?  Anyone who does as much as watch the Weather Channel for more than a couple of hours understands dew point.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2019, 12:17:46 AM »
How is it condescending?  Every answer just generates another complaint. 

People fret over decimal precision that's within the range of uncertainty like it's the end of the world.

I don't need a source to tell me most consumers don't know what dewpoint means.  They likely do know what a "heat index" is and that when it's high it's dangerous.

Go take a poll and find out.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 01:07:13 AM by nincehelser »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2019, 08:47:16 AM »
The root cause of the downturn started before any personal attacks came out. It's always the same thing. You are a best friend and George is always there to help if you are an Acurite owner or someone interested in one. But the moment you express some dislike of the brand or product then the tables turn and he takes the Apple approach of "you're holding it wrong." Been there done that. Acurite is all seeing all knowing and they can do no wrong. There is always an excuse or some explanation.

I cut up on all the brands because I want to make them all better, even the brands and software that I use. There is no need to defend any brand like as if it were your baby. Remove yourself from the brand/product you've chosen. If someone cuts up on your chosen brand it is not a reflection on you nor on your intelligence for having bought into it. Accept that your chosen brand could do better (they all can.) It isn't a personal attack when someone dislikes your chosen brand/model/product.

It is true that George is a wealth of knowledge. I've complemented him numerous times. I've tried to engage in thoughtful scientific discussions and I cede his way for his valid points. It would be courteous and nice to get the same response back.

When people disagree and one person throws the first punch it is hard to not throw a punch back. For any punches I've thrown I apologize.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 08:50:30 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2019, 10:02:21 AM »
If it were only that simple.

There's a lot of bad information being thrown about Acurite, Wunderground, math, protocols, etc.  People think they're experts with no actual experience.  They'll even deny the personal experiences of others who have actually worked with particular projects or technologies.

For people whose lives actually depend on this industry, the lame arm-chair quarterbacking is pretty insulting and discouraging. 

I also found it very creepy the way other users have been stalked on this board.

Many good people have already walked away.  It's just not worth the abuse that gets thrown out.

Offline Tennesseestorm

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2019, 11:29:39 PM »
Here is a screen shot of the dewpoint reading showing higher than this temp.  This is via Weather Underground, but also showing this same reading on my console. 

Thanks for all of the helpful replies.  If I ever sounded rude to anyone, I apologize.  That is not who I am and try to help all I can.  Sometimes I get in a hurry and not tech savvy as I have already stated, so if I say something that does not make sense, overlook it.   :-)

anything