Author Topic: Considering an AcuRite weather station (01024M Pro Weather station)  (Read 2940 times)

Offline Tennesseestorm

Hi all.  As I have shared on the Davis weather station thread, my humidity sensor on my Davis Vantage Vue weather station went out and it is my understating that it is costly to replace that sensor on this station. With that said, I have decided to move on to another station and trying to decide which one.  I would like to spend no more than $150 (mine cost around $300 4 years ago) and not wanting to do that again.  I really like this AcuRite station 01024M with HD display and lightning detector.  I mainly want the HD screen for my aging eyes.  lol.  I also like accurate temperature and dew point.  I would also like to know if this is one I can connect to weather underground?  Does anyone have any opinions on these and do they have replaceable sensors if something like the humidity sensor goes out and it does not cost a fortune.  I am not an expert or a technical guru, so need something in plain English.  :D  Thanks! 

Offline Jim Ace

• Hewlett Point Beach
I don't think it connects to WU,  you would need a hub, (AcuRite Access model 09155M) to send data to WU.  There are other manufacturers that offer data uploads to WU.  Ambient weather and Ecowitt are a few to look at. 
KNYEASTR4
Ecowitt WS65
AWEKAS 14894
PWS
WeatherCloud
Windy
Weewx
CumulusMX
CWOP FW3861

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
The thermo/hygo is replaceable, along with the fan, and wind cups. The instrument is very good with humidity and also temperature as long as the fan is working at full speed. Siting for wind is the most difficult in an area with lots of homes and trees. The model you link to does not connect to internet.

I would recommend a PC connect model so that you can upload to sites besides Wunderground, if you choose. Weather display is a good choice for software, or meteobridge router if you don't want to have the PC on all the time. If you like the station you linked to, buy it and add a PC connect console. You can have as many consoles as you like.

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
You can switch to the WiFi display if you want to send data to weather underground.
https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-Lightning-Detector-Direction-Temperature/dp/B07RCKW5H6?th=1

Replacement Temperature and Humidity Sensor for Compatible* 5-in-1 Sensors $12.99
https://www.acurite.com/temperature-and-humidity-sensor-replacement-for-5-in-1-weather-sensors.html

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline Tennesseestorm

Thanks for the replies and info.  That last one with the wi-fi display looks promising, though I do like the display of the one I posted a little better, but they both seem to offer the same amount of info.  Not sure why they prices are so close though, there may be something the wi-fi model is missing that the other one isn't because those are going for around the same price. 

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
The WiFi display doesn't report to myAcurite.  It only reports to wunderground.

I'm not sure why they chose not to send to their own service.

Offline Tennesseestorm

You can switch to the WiFi display if you want to send data to weather underground.
https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-Lightning-Detector-Direction-Temperature/dp/B07RCKW5H6?th=1

This is the one I just purchased.  I do not use Amazon very often, so not sure if I did the payment correctly.  I had some gift cards I wanted to use, so keyed them all in.  Hope it works.  Thanks so much.   

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
The WiFi display doesn't report to myAcurite.  It only reports to wunderground.

I'm not sure why they chose not to send to their own service.
That seems strange and would definitely be a deal breaker for me because I have other sensors I want to see online that WU doesn't support.

I have a 5in1 with two of the older color (non HD) displays. I also "aging eyes" and these are easy to read. While it's fun to have the station connect with WU one of the things I enjoy most is the other sensors I have around the house that I can see online (iPhone, iPad, etc.) using the My Accurite app. I can check the temperature in the garage, basement, whether there's water in the basement, things like that when I'm away from home. To do that, and also connect to WU, you'll need an Acurite Access and I highly recommend it.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
Let us know how it goes with the lightning sensor. I have one of these, and it works better than the lightning detector in my Atlas. (after I adjusted the display settings) lol. By default the sensitivity was turned way too low.

Offline Tennesseestorm

Will do if I ever get it.  lol.  I cannot figure out how to use three different Visa gift cards I want to apply to the purchase price.  I rarely use Amazon and cannot seem to locate this model for sale on eBay which seems very strange.  I may just have to pay with my debit card and use the gift cards for other things I would have used my debit card for.  I am not a fan of amazon.  lol. 

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Re: Considering an AcuRite weather station (01024M Pro Weather station)
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2019, 04:35:02 PM »
Will do if I ever get it.  lol.  I cannot figure out how to use three different Visa gift cards I want to apply to the purchase price.  I rarely use Amazon and cannot seem to locate this model for sale on eBay which seems very strange.  I may just have to pay with my debit card and use the gift cards for other things I would have used my debit card for.  I am not a fan of amazon.  lol.

You don’t want to buy Acurite gear from eBay.  There are no authorized sellers there for new equipment.

As for Amazon, you could buy Amazon gift cards for yourself, but that seems cumbersome.  If you chat with an Amazon support rep, I bet they could apply the gift cards directly to your account, then you just purchase what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2019, 05:35:32 PM »
Sign into Amazon and go under your name and hover over "Accounts and lists" and click on "Your Account". You should be able to add a payment type. I don't like Amazon either. I bought a used system from Ebay last time. It worked out well for me.

Offline Tennesseestorm

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2019, 11:41:51 PM »
Thanks.  I called earlier and spoke to some lady that had no clue what I was talking about.  lol.  She basically told me to go to the page I was already on and put the cards there, but it still didn't work.  lol. 

I went to that page and have the cards entered, but two of them have $50 each, one has $25, the total is like $156.00.  I THINK I have figured it out to where I can apply the cards to what they call a gift card balance and purchase it that way.  Still waiting on one card to finish processing.  The other two processed right away. 

Offline Tennesseestorm

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2019, 07:32:50 PM »
Finally figured it out.  I was able to apply the gift cards to the account.  Now it wants to know if I want an additional 4 year protection plan for $29.99.  I am not sure if it is worth it, or is it?  It is from Asurion. 
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 12:12:51 AM by Tennesseestorm »

Offline Tennesseestorm

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2019, 09:45:42 PM »
Well I got the weather station on Saturday (super fast shipping), but didn't get to set it up until today.  Starting to regret getting the one with wi-fi, because I have tried following the directions and cannot get it set up.  The pages it says to go to does not have the info I need to select, etc.  Oh well.  At least I have the unit, but could have saved $20.00 by not getting the wi-fi unit. 

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2019, 09:08:48 AM »
Maybe scroll down? Anyone?

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2019, 11:13:51 AM »
Connecting a WiFi Display to Your WiFi Service
https://support.acurite.com/hc/en-us/articles/360007561134-Connecting-a-WiFi-Display-to-Your-WiFi-Service-

If you're having problems ask questions, someone most likely can help.

This may also help and give you some insight on how to make the WiFi connedtion.
http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=35898.msg367781#msg367781
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 11:30:06 AM by worachj »

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline Tennesseestorm

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2019, 08:32:52 PM »
I will try that, thanks!

Offline Tennesseestorm

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2019, 09:26:43 PM »
Didn't help unfortunately.  I do not have anything saying Acurite when I click in the network and what it says to do in that case does not pertain to my station.  I do not have a reset button in the the battery console, as mine does not even have a place for batteries.  On the weather console, it just says "not setup" pertaining to the wi-fi, but the setting on the console is set to connect.  Something isn't right.  I may box it up this weekend and send it back.  Thanks for the info though! 

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2019, 09:29:37 PM »
Are you connecting from a device with a WiFi interface?  That’s critical for the initial setup.

Offline Tennesseestorm

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2019, 09:36:02 PM »
Not sure what that is, I am not very tech savvy.  I am using my Apple Mac computer that is connected to our home Wi-fi, but that is about all I know.  Wish I had of known before I bought it.  I thought it basically set it self up.  lol.   #-o
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 09:44:39 PM by Tennesseestorm »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2019, 10:02:22 PM »
The display console only broadcasts the Acurite WiFi signal for 30 minutes. To see it again you need to power cycle the display console or press the gear button.

Follow instructions on Page 3:
https://www.acurite.com/media//manuals/06088M-instructions.pdf
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Tennesseestorm

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2019, 11:23:17 PM »
Thanks, but no luck.  I pressed that little "gear" button and nothing happened with my computer.  On WeatherUnderground I have added the weather station and it gave me the station ID and Key, but it just says offline and it never prompts me for "station hardware".  Also when I type in that 192.168.4.1 in the browser, nothing happens.  Oh well.  lol.  I thought it would be a simple setup, but nothing is ever simple for me.   :lol:

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2019, 12:04:50 AM »
Be sure the display is within reasonable distance from the device you’re using to set it up.  That’s why a smartphone or tablet is ideal so you can be close to the display.

The initial setup is a point-to-point connection.  It doesn’t use your house WiFi.  For example, if you are on one side of your house, and the display is on the other, they may be too far apart to talk directly, even though they may both be in range of your WiFi network.

Once the setup is completed and the display connects to your WiFi network, this will no longer be an issue.

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2019, 09:07:21 AM »
Make sure the AcuRite display is in WiFi setup mode. If the unit has been powered on for more than 30 minutes, you'll need to press the setup button on the front of the display to re-activate Wi-Fi setup.

Go to your Mac and click on the wifi icon. Look for a WiFi network named "AcuRite 06088M" and click on it. You might have to click on "Join Other Network..." if you don't see it.

After you have connected to the "AcuRite 06088M" network, you'll need to open your web browser and type “192.168.4.1” in the address bar and hit enter to access the AcuRite Wi-Fi display settings website

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173