Author Topic: Meteotemplate - new free website template  (Read 629684 times)

Offline droiddk

• Forecaster
Re: Meteotemplate - new free website template
« Reply #4175 on: September 25, 2016, 03:42:30 PM »
Last but not least there are a few other points to remember:

1. as I learn more and more from programming the template is now much better at error handling, so less prone to errors
2. I converted almost everything from edits in the code to GUI, which also greatly reduced the number of errors
3. as more and more people use it, they also become familiar with it and support will not rely just on me - just look at Ken's template. It is still by far the most used and also the longest available template. And look how many people help others with the template, it is not just Ken - he of course does that too and he is till the one who knows the template the best, but many issues are dealt with by the users themselves

Thanks for your reply (both posts).  :-)

Regards

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #4176 on: September 25, 2016, 04:01:12 PM »
I just wanted to test out my interactive sticker...  I will certainly be changing it but thanks to Jachym, it finally works!  Thank you!!!

Jeff

One more thing Jeff, you might want to add the width parameter to the image here on the forum, otherwise it can overflow or be cut off on smaller screens, here is what I use, just replace the URL:

Code: [Select]
[center][img width=800]http://www.meteotemplate.com/template/plugins/stickers/stickerInteractive.php?bg=avocado&color=white&image=AZ&shadow=1&border=2&bgColor=000&text=Meteotemplate%20%20%20Brno,%20Czech%20Republic[/img][/center]
And yes I agree... your image is better than mine, maybe I will have one like that too if I ever visit Alaska :D

Offline jeffm5690

• Forecaster
    • Long Island New York Weather
« Reply #4177 on: September 25, 2016, 08:32:04 PM »
Thanks - all fixed!

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Meteotemplate - great new plugin!
« Reply #4178 on: September 26, 2016, 07:55:46 AM »

New Plugin - Outlook

Hi guys,
as you might have read already, the WWO forecast page is useless to all users who began using the template after March 2016. I knew there needs to be some replacement for it.

However, I decided to go a step further and developed a new plugin, which I am sure you will like. Think about it as sort of a central place to see what is coming. I personally really like it and I am also quite pleased with the features I was able to add compared to what I developed last year (in the backend for example, the WWO page throws hundreds of notices and errors... which you probably do not even know :D)

I called it simply "outlook". It is divided into several sections, so let me just go through all the features quick:

Sections

- Current conditions - this tab simply shows you current conditions from your station as well as from the nearby airport
- Alerts - if there are any alerts issued they will show up as a new tab
- Short-term forecast - 48h forecast with interactive graphs, tables etc.
- Long-term forecast - 7-day detailed forecast with interactive graphs, tables etc.
- Station averages - detailed graphs and tables of the average values for the upcoming days based on history data from your station
- Station extremes - detailed statistics of the extreme values measured in the upcoming days of the year based on your station history
- Almanac - sunrise and sunset times, Moon phase, day/night length for the upcoming days. Also, if any of this is about to come, it will also show up including details and exact time of occurance: main Moon phase transition (quarter, New Moon, Full Moon), lunar eclipse, solar eclipse, season change (solstice, equinox)

General features

- fully localized - including the text forecast, you can choose from over 25 languages
- fully responsive - built using blocks, should display perfectly on smaller screens with possibility to resize graphs by dragging
- graphs are interactive and resizable directly in the browser
- sortable tables with sparkline graphs
- data is cached so after you load it once it should then reload immediately
- Moon icons and season icons adjust based on your hemisphere
- possibility to highlight particular year´s data in the station extremes
- collapsable - i.e. no infinite scrolling
- error handling in case of data is N/A
- icons in graphs, including weather conditions and wind direction arrows

There is really LOT of info, so the best thing to do is to simply have a look and play around with it.

Just couple of extra points to note:

- some of the data uses the Darksky API, you will need an API key for it (free), follow instructions in the Plugin setup
- the station data is cached for 12 hours, however you can hit refresh and refresh the cache at any time. The forecast is updated every 15 minutes and cannot be updated directly from the page because we need to make sure we do not exceed the quota for the free API number of calls
- the Alerts tab sometimes does not show all the alerts (due to various data sources). For this reason, if there are no alerts issued, instead of saying "No alerts", it will completely disappear to make sure we do not mislead the user.
- this page will replace the WWO page and will become part of the core template in Meteotemplate 10.0

Enjoy and let me know if it works just to be sure :-)

DEMO: http://www.meteotemplate.com/template/plugins/outlook/index.php#/

Jachym

Offline nitrx

• Senior Contributor
    • Apeldoorn-Oost The Netherlands
« Reply #4179 on: September 26, 2016, 09:42:15 AM »
Hi Jachym thanks for the óutlook'very nice http://www.apeldoornmeteo.nl/plugins/outlook/ the menu.php isn't updated yet ?

Looks great btw
Ron
Cumulus software
Apeldoorn NL
http://www.apeldoornmeteo.nl

several languages

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #4180 on: September 26, 2016, 09:56:06 AM »
Hi Ron,
thanks.
Yes, the menu should be updated, I uploaded a new version before releasing the plugin.

Offline nitrx

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4181 on: September 26, 2016, 10:00:01 AM »
Oke thanks I saw a last update date august 31 , I've not looked at all the values but it jumped up that the rainaverages are very high in the graphs I'm almost sure these are not correct values... (screenhot)
Ron
Cumulus software
Apeldoorn NL

several languages

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #4182 on: September 26, 2016, 10:51:16 AM »
Hi Ron,
˙es, you are absolutely right, and in fact the numbers in the table below are ok, it was just the graph. Try re-downloading it, I think I found the issue, it should be ok now.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #4183 on: September 26, 2016, 10:54:49 AM »
I guess too quick or too late.  It is very nice, I like it http://www.komokaweather.com/j-template/plugins/outlook/index.php#/

Likely will need to update for the fix?

Paul

Offline nitrx

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4184 on: September 26, 2016, 10:58:57 AM »
Hi Ron,
˙es, you are absolutely right, and in fact the numbers in the table below are ok, it was just the graph. Try re-downloading it, I think I found the issue, it should be ok now.

Sorry the averages for the rain are still the same I've emptied my browsercache and the plugin cache
Ron
Cumulus software
Apeldoorn NL

several languages

Offline nitrx

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4185 on: September 26, 2016, 11:10:29 AM »
Hi Ron,

Sorry the averages for the rain are still the same I've emptied my browsercache and the plugin cache

Oops I think I did not update right looks fine now thanks !!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 11:16:17 AM by nitrx »
Ron
Cumulus software
Apeldoorn NL

several languages

Offline jeffm5690

• Forecaster
« Reply #4187 on: September 26, 2016, 02:35:57 PM »
Looks good!  Quick and easy to set up!  Thanks Jachym!

Offline droiddk

• Forecaster
Re: Meteotemplate - great new plugin!
« Reply #4188 on: September 26, 2016, 02:36:44 PM »
Nice new graph  =D>

Regards

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #4189 on: September 26, 2016, 02:39:10 PM »
Thanks guys, it is something new again and it is nice to have it all in one place. In addition to the new content I also used some new things I learned in JS which allowed me to implement for example the icons in the graphs, the resizable graphs and it is also nice that it all shows in your language of choice, including the text forecast.

Finally a replacement for the buggy and for most totally unusable WWO script :D

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #4190 on: September 27, 2016, 08:52:07 AM »
Looks like issTrakker plugin is down for me and meteotemplate demo as well. 

Paul

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #4191 on: September 27, 2016, 08:58:54 AM »
Looks like issTrakker plugin is down for me and meteotemplate demo as well. 

Paul

Hi Paul,
the ISS location API is down. All we can do is wait and if it isnt back up soon delete the plugin:
http://api.open-notify.org/iss-now.json

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Plugin Update - Notifications
« Reply #4192 on: September 27, 2016, 08:59:54 AM »
Plugin Update - Notifications 2.0

Hi guys,

I updated the Notifications plugin. Now you have the possibility to also set up email notifications in addition to the Twitter posts.

You can set if you want to send emails or post to Twitter, or both. Also the text for each can be different. In case of the Twitter text you are obviously limited in terms of the number of characters, which is not the case for the email.

In order for this to work, your server must have the mail server installed correctly. There is a test button which you can use to send test email and see if the emails are working.

If you are installing this for the first time, follow the instructions in the documentation. If you are updating the plugin, simply replace all the files as well, the settings.php is only on your server so it will stay untouched. Then go to your Control Panel and setup the plugin again to update the settings.php (you will just have to specify if you want to enable the email notifications and specify the email address, the email text etc.) Then make sure you also update (replace) the dailyNotificationsCron.php in your load/crons/ directory, this the updated script which will post to Twitter or send the email.

Enjoy

Offline Brett001

« Reply #4193 on: September 27, 2016, 10:19:19 AM »
Hi Jáchym,

The new "Outlook" plug-in works well, is great! Thanks! :) I like it!

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #4194 on: September 27, 2016, 10:45:33 AM »
Thanks Brett, just noticed that some strings are not translated, if you want them to be, then you can use the Translations section at meteotemplate.com. All the strings that are there in English can be translated. Also dont forget to update your menu.php so that there is a link to the Outlook in the menu.

Offline danville

• EarthScienceIsCool.net
« Reply #4195 on: September 27, 2016, 11:56:39 AM »
How can I connect to WView from Meteotemplate?  I have followed all prescribed steps with no luck.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #4196 on: September 27, 2016, 11:59:53 AM »
There is two steps and the first thing we need to do is figure out which one you are at.

1. step number one is get WView to upload the current conditions to your server periodically
2. second step is to set the CRON job, which will use that text file to save the data to the database

I can help you with step 2, step 1 is a bit difficult for me as I have never seen WView, but people here use it so they will know. But first you have to tell us which stage you are at.

Offline jeffm5690

• Forecaster
Re: Plugin Update - Notifications
« Reply #4197 on: September 27, 2016, 12:57:24 PM »
Plugin Update - Notifications 2.0

Hi guys,

I updated the Notifications plugin. Now you have the possibility to also set up email notifications in addition to the Twitter posts.

You can set if you want to send emails or post to Twitter, or both. Also the text for each can be different. In case of the Twitter text you are obviously limited in terms of the number of characters, which is not the case for the email.

In order for this to work, your server must have the mail server installed correctly. There is a test button which you can use to send test email and see if the emails are working.

If you are installing this for the first time, follow the instructions in the documentation. If you are updating the plugin, simply replace all the files as well, the settings.php is only on your server so it will stay untouched. Then go to your Control Panel and setup the plugin again to update the settings.php (you will just have to specify if you want to enable the email notifications and specify the email address, the email text etc.) Then make sure you also update (replace) the dailyNotificationsCron.php in your load/crons/ directory, this the updated script which will post to Twitter or send the email.

Enjoy

This is updated and seems to be working fine!  Now if we could get it to email out a daily forecast, maybe news warnings, etc to people that subscribe to it  :lol: :lol: :grin: :grin:

Thanks - as always!

Offline KapitainOne

• Senior Contributor
    • Sanford Weather
« Reply #4198 on: September 27, 2016, 01:00:24 PM »
There is two steps and the first thing we need to do is figure out which one you are at.

1. step number one is get WView to upload the current conditions to your server periodically
2. second step is to set the CRON job, which will use that text file to save the data to the database

I can help you with step 2, step 1 is a bit difficult for me as I have never seen WView, but people here use it so they will know. But first you have to tell us which stage you are at.

You asked me to write something up for the WIKI a long time back, it was there but vanished on one of the updates, here it is again!!

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #4199 on: September 27, 2016, 01:21:35 PM »
Thanks, I think those instructions are still there if you click the CRON job tab (2.1).

Thanks again, the problem is now solved, we solved it via email :)

anything